Need help with a bad echo in my HT room [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a bad echo in my HT room

3db
09-21-2005, 04:25 AM
I recently moved into a new home with its own HT room, 12x16 drywalled with a 7ft drop tile ceiling, pot lights, underpad and berber carpet. I have this nasty echo in the room, espcially noticebale when I clap my hands together while standing in the middle of the room. I know I need acoustic treatments. I would like to draw the room out on my computer. Does anyone know of a good "FREE" cad package I can get my hands on. And can anyone suggest plans for a DIY acoustic panels and where to place them with respect to the speakers/listening position?

PAT.P
09-21-2005, 04:52 AM
I recently moved into a new home with its own HT room, 12x16 drywalled with a 7ft drop tile ceiling, pot lights, underpad and berber carpet. I have this nasty echo in the room, espcially noticebale when I clap my hands together while standing in the middle of the room. I know I need acoustic treatments. I would like to draw the room out on my computer. Does anyone know of a good "FREE" cad package I can get my hands on. And can anyone suggest plans for a DIY acoustic panels and where to place them with respect to the speakers/listening position?
You could check http://www.eighthnerve.com would give you a ideal on what you could built .You could make panels with 2x2 and accoustic drywall and in between insulation .

paul_pci
09-21-2005, 04:50 PM
www.audioholics.com has an article about DIY acoustical panels. I, being mechanically unskilled and lazy, bought some flat panel, fabric wrapped acoustical panels from www.acousticalsolutions.com.

Good luck.

anamorphic96
09-21-2005, 07:22 PM
http://www.auralex.com/

This is the company I use for treatments. You can pick up there stuff at any Guitar Center. It's also pretty cheap in relation to alot of stuff out there. They also have a room calculator to help as well.

Good Luck !!!

paul_pci
09-21-2005, 10:31 PM
http://www.auralex.com/

This is the company I use for treatments. You can pick up there stuff at any Guitar Center. It's also pretty cheap in relation to alot of stuff out there. They also have a room calculator to help as well.

Good Luck !!!

I started with the aurelax at Guitar Center, but come 'on; it's too ugly. Fine for studios, but in a living space, it's better to go with something more integrateable. Thus, fabric wrapped acoustical panels.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-22-2005, 04:48 AM
I started with the aurelax at Guitar Center, but come 'on; it's too ugly. Fine for studios, but in a living space, it's better to go with something more integrateable. Thus, fabric wrapped acoustical panels.

It really depends on how its hung whether its ugly or not. Alot of studios I have worked in looked quite good with foam.

paul_pci
09-22-2005, 10:06 AM
It really depends on how its hung whether its ugly or not. Alot of studios I have worked in looked quite good with foam.

I bought a 2X$ black foam panel and thought it worked great. Then when I contacted Guitar Center to buy two panel in a color more complimentary to my room, they said I'd have to buy a whole case. So, I said screw that, I'll get a fabric panel instead. I still have the 2X4 panel and was considering cutting it up to place in other perceived problem spots in my room.