NHT Xd - among the best speakers at ANY price [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NHT Xd - among the best speakers at ANY price

MrClean
09-20-2005, 10:39 PM
I would like you to consider including this phenomenal speaker system for review.

NHT
http://www.nhtxd.com/
Active speaker system (satelites, stands, subwoofer, DEQX/DSP, amp, cables)
Xd
$6000.00
http://www.audioholics.com/news/thumbs/NHTXdsystem_th.jpg

Kam
09-21-2005, 06:42 AM
I would like you to consider including this phenomenal speaker system for review.

NHT
http://www.nhtxd.com/
Active speaker system (satelites, stands, subwoofer, DEQX/DSP, amp, cables)
Xd
$6000.00
http://www.audioholics.com/news/thumbs/NHTXdsystem_th.jpg

i second the motion! i'm a huge nht fan!!! :) has anyone auditioned these?

GMichael
09-21-2005, 06:51 AM

They sure look good.

Kam
09-21-2005, 08:19 AM
They sure look good.

i've auditioned the T5's:

http://nhthifi.com/p-ht-evolution.html

but the store didnt have the T6's hooked up yet. didnt hear enough for a full on review, (and dont even remember the other components it was hooked up to, maybe a mark levinson something-or-other?) but i thought they were amazing. i have an nht set up, so am partial to nhts already. cant wait to hear the xd's!

Lara
09-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Floorstanding Speakers
NHT Xd (http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_343542_4282crx.aspx)

Per request of NHT, use of photographs of their products are prohibited.

MrClean
09-21-2005, 08:36 PM
OK, can we still review them without the picture? I've got a pair. I replaced my Genesis Vs and Pass Labs X250 to go with these, and they ROCK. I'm telling you, I've never heard anything like them, and I've heard a lot of the "best of the best".

You guys need to hear these things, though they are really hard to find - I bought the only pair available at the time in SoCal about 6 weeks ago.

Lara
09-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Sure, you can review them. :) Just click on the NHT link in my post above.

Kam
09-22-2005, 09:22 AM
OK, can we still review them without the picture? I've got a pair. I replaced my Genesis Vs and Pass Labs X250 to go with these, and they ROCK. I'm telling you, I've never heard anything like them, and I've heard a lot of the "best of the best".

You guys need to hear these things, though they are really hard to find - I bought the only pair available at the time in SoCal about 6 weeks ago.

Hiya Clean,
Do you use them primarily for music or home theater? (Although a great music speaker will prolyl perform fine for home theater too). and is it a strict two channel set up, or a home theater speaker set up?
thanks for any info! can't wait to hear 'em myself!
peace
k2

MrClean
09-22-2005, 11:08 AM
K2,

They are used primarily for 2 channel music, but they also pull double-duty in a 6.1 HT system.

Prior to buying the Xds, I had a pair of Genesis Vs for LR, a Genesis G750 for center, and a Pass Labs X250 for LR amplification.

We recently moved from a big house in Houston to a smaller one in SoCal, and my listening room shrank considerably - the Gens just did not work in the new room at all. I posted on A-gon and A-asylum trying to get suggestions on what to do, as I really did not want to part with the Vs, which sounded amazing in my old room. It became clear that there really wasn't going to be a good solution, so I sold them. In the process, however, a dealer in NM saw my posts, and he was the first one that mentioned the Xds.

I was skeptical, of course, particularly when I read those awful buzzwords - digital filtering, class D amplification, DSP, etc. When I finally tracked down a pair to listen to, I have to say any doubt evaporated within the first minute I heard them. They were positioned right in front of a new pair of B&W 800Ds, which was unfortunate. I don't know if the owner of the store was trying to steer me toward the B&Ws, but if he was, it didn't work...

I have listened to a lot of ultra high end speakers over the years, from companies like Genesis, Wilson, Apogee, B&W, Kef, Martin Logan, Magnat, Magnepan, Aerial, Vienna, etc., etc. The Xds do not leave me yearning for the others. Great imaging, huge soundstage, very detailed without sounding "etched in glass", dynamic, accurate, smooth. They are incredibly cohesive - you don't ever get the sense you're listening to separate drivers. They do some things better than anybody - the lack of a "sweet spot" is astonishing. The Xds have just about eliminated all beaming/lobing. The only thing that some of the big boys have over them is the extreme bass (below 25 Hz or so) and extreme volume. Don't get me wrong - the Xds will play *very* loudly, but they don't do it with the ease of my old system. Bear in mind, however, that the Xds are about 550 watts/side, and my Gens had the potential to crank close to 900 watts/side...

I recently had a party for a colleague of mine who is retiring (Los Angeles Philharmonic). About midway through the party, someone noticed the speakers and asked to hear them. Well, that was pretty much the end of Rob's party and the beginning of NHT's party. One by one, people peeled off from outside to come in and listen. Jaws hit the floor. People sat and listened to track after track. Musicians, mind you, who often want to do anything BUT listen to music when they're not working.

Regarding HT - they image so well that I eliminated the center channel, and am getting much better results since I don't have the problem of off-axis tweeters, etc. If you like to really crank your HT, then I would suggest going with two subs (another $1200), which will pretty much remedy the two caveats listed above.

I hope this answers your questions and whets your appetite.

Jim

Kam
09-22-2005, 11:18 AM
K2,

They are used primarily for 2 channel music, but they also pull double-duty in a 6.1 HT system.

Prior to buying the Xds, I had a pair of Genesis Vs for LR, a Genesis G750 for center, and a Pass Labs X250 for LR amplification.

We recently moved from a big house in Houston to a smaller one in SoCal, and my listening room shrank considerably - the Gens just did not work in the new room at all. I posted on A-gon and A-asylum trying to get suggestions on what to do, as I really did not want to part with the Vs, which sounded amazing in my old room. It became clear that there really wasn't going to be a good solution, so I sold them. In the process, however, a dealer in NM saw my posts, and he was the first one that mentioned the Xds.

I was skeptical, of course, particularly when I read those awful buzzwords - digital filtering, class D amplification, DSP, etc. When I finally tracked down a pair to listen to, I have to say any doubt evaporated within the first minute I heard them. They were positioned right in front of a new pair of B&W 8000Ds, which was unfortunate. I don't know if the owner of the store was trying to steer me toward the B&Ws, but if he was, it didn't work...

I have listened to a lot of ultra high end speakers over the years, from companies like Genesis, Wilson, Apogee, B&W, Kef, Martin Logan, Magnat, Magnepan, Aerial, Vienna, etc., etc. The Xds do not leave me yearning for the others. Great imaging, huge soundstage, very detailed without sounding "etched in glass", dynamic, accurate, smooth. They are incredibly cohesive - you don't ever get the sense you're listening to separate drivers. They do some things better than anybody - the lack of a "sweet spot" is astonishing. The Xds have just about eliminated all beaming/lobing. The only thing that some of the big boys have over them is the extreme bass (below 25 Hz or so) and extreme volume. Don't get me wrong - the Xds will play *very* loudly, but they don't do it with the ease of my old system. Bear in mind, however, that the Xds are about 550 watts/side, and my Gens had the potential to crank close to 900 watts/side...

I recently had a party for a colleague of mine who is retiring (Los Angeles Philharmonic). About midway through the party, someone noticed the speakers and asked to hear them. Well, that was pretty much the end of Rob's party and the beginning of NHT's party. One by one, people peeled off from outside to come in and listen. Jaws hit the floor. People sat and listened to track after track. Musicians, mind you, who often want to do anything BUT listen to music when they're not working.

Regarding HT - they image so well that I eliminated the center channel, and am getting much better results since I don't have the problem of off-axis tweeters, etc. If you like to really crank your HT, then I would suggest going with two subs (another $1200), which will pretty much remedy the two caveats listed above.

I hope this answers your questions and whets your appetite.

Jim

DROOOOOOOLING!!!!!!!!! YUM!
argh. i own a full nht setup right now, (2.5 mains, ac2 center and superzero's for the surrounds: no sub yet) and have heard the 3.3's which i loved. i didnt quite care for the nht homevideo tower speakers (VT#?) with that weird switch thing that was supposed to 'switch' from music to home theater. i loved the evolution series (the T5's at least) and now am absolutely dying to hear the XD's... found one dealer by me (NYC) that carries them... will be visiting soon!
thanks again for the review!!
peace
k2

MrClean
09-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Sure, you can review them. :) Just click on the NHT link in my post above.

Lara, is there a way to move these from "Home Theater" to floorstanding or something? While they work very well as HT speakers, they really compete very well against audiophile-grade 2 channel systems. It would be a shame if someone missed these because they were looking in the wrong spot.

J

Lara
09-23-2005, 02:32 AM
Sure, it's done.

MrClean
09-23-2005, 06:10 AM
Sure, it's done.

Thanks Lara - I know it looked like it should be HT based on the way it is shown on their website... I think they're just trying to sell you two pairs. :p

Lara
09-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Than you for helping me out with this. I really appreciate it!

Boer
06-08-2009, 11:45 PM

Yes I have - I own the NHT XD 2.2 special dark finish.
My system is/was Vienna Acoustics Baby Beethoven speakers , REL R 505 sub, Primare integrated amp (I21) and the Classic SqueezeBox 3. Cables are made by Cobalt for speakers; audioquest for the RCA link between SB3 and the integrated amp. I bought my system in 2005 (except the SB3 which I bought in 2006).
All my music is lossless stored on a computer (more than 700 CDs that now sit in the garage) and played wireless through SB3; this way there is no mechanical noise from the player (like a CD/SACD player would have). Of course the computer that stores the music is in a different room - all those noisy computer fans I can't stand...
The MSRP cost of the VA/Primare/REL system is 3995$ (VA) + 1995$ (REL) + 1495 (I21) + 130$ (10 AWG Cobalt cables) + 8.25% CA taxes = 8.243$
I am as happy as I can be with my system BUT (here I go) I am always reading reviews and listening to (too) many speakers (including some I couldn't afford) at many dealers.
Long story short, I heard about the NHT XDa an active crossover system with DEQX crossovers and Power Physics amplifier(s) in 2006 but it was just a few months after I bought my system so I wasn't very interested. Plus, at that time "digital" amplifier was a bad word, a profanity in the boutique oriented audiophile world and NHT is not quite an exotique brand - they are down to earth guys.
Here we are today in 2009 with the economy in the toilet and NHT slashes prices - XD* Active 2.2 is down to 2999$.
In the meantime I read quite a bit about class D amplifiers and learned they are (or at least could be) actually pretty good. So I order the NHT XD* Active 2.2 in special dark, factory-direct.
Here I am, I got the Beethovens/Primare/REL + the NHT XD* Active 2.2.
I also had to order a preamp and I chose the Parasound Halo P3 – I heard it many times and I like it. That set me back another 850$ (tax included).
*I was thinking - if a don't like the NHT I will sell them on Audiogon (yes I will loose some money but there is no place that let's me audition them). If I like them better than my current setup (I thought that was unlikely) I might keep both. After all, the VA/Primare/REL combination is as good as I can afford.
Or so I thought. The only speakers I like better than my Beethovens and under 15k$ are the Martin Logan Summit X. Now that is way above budget and my wife wouldn't approve either way (don't you bring those UFOs in our house, OK?). Speakers more expensive than that make no sense to me. A lot of doubtful (pseudo) technology go in such esoteric and expensive speakers - my 2c. Also - do not try justifying me k$ cables - it makes me laugh.
See this
http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/top-ten-signs-an-audio-cable-vendor-is-selling-you-snake-oil
on one of my preferred websites.
The snake oil sells today well in the form of k$ cables and 15K$ plus passive speakers.

Now let's have at it - comparison between VA/Primare/REL and the NHT XD 2.2 or in other words how do 8243$ spent at Magnolia HiFi stack up against 4100 ( 3247$ is 3k$ + taxes then add 850$ for the Halo P3) spent buying factory direct gear from NHT + the Parasound P3 preamp?
Looks and appearance first:

The VA are some gorgeous lookers - the kind of finish you rarely see. If you look at the binding posts in the back then it'll be clear for you - the Austrians from VA mean quality. And that is not only outside, to be seen; read up on their website about their crossovers... Unless you are willing to spend a lot more I'd say the VA Beethovens are as good as it gets for a mortal's audio system.
The Primare amplifier is also a beautiful amplifier, simple, elegant and classy.
The RELL sub is also very nicely finished - a true black piano high gloss - really nice.

The NHT XDs speakers are very nicely finished - on par with the VA. I even consider the dark red chocolate/black piano high gloss finish better than the VA/RELL. The spikes that come with the stand are in a beautiful metallic gun color (and no, I don't like guns) - nicest spikes I've seen in a long time. Now there are two things I am not really thrilled in the looks of the NHT XDs:
*a) the cable that comes standard is not that cool looking
*b) there is a sticker on the back of the speakers with their serial #. Nicer/better finish and look than the VA yet a piece of sticker on their back! Ouch!

Now the XDa (XD's amplifier) is not very nice looking - plastic front plate. Nowhere close to the Primare look.
The XDw are very nice looking - better looking than the RELL.

I like listening to baroque (I love organ) music and all king of fast, ear blasting punk/heavy metal. This (strange) combination music I like makes me hard to please when it comes to sound reproduction.

Sound comparison:

The VAs sound very relaxed with good imaging and clear mids while the highs sound silky smooth and mellow. They almost sound like they are meant to play Baroque music (even organ - with the REL subs) and Jazz. There is a sense of calm and precision (made in Vienna/Austria, remember?) in the sound of these speakers that gives you years of enjoyment listening to them.
The bass integration with the RELL is pretty good and the RELL never rattles and never booms - a sealed subwoofer, the only type of sub I like.
I could go on and on about their sound qualities but I'd rather skip to the critique part.
The high bass - low mids sounds a bit lifeless even with the RELL - almost missing a bit of energy/speed. At low levels there is plenty of details but when turned on a bit too loud the speakers distort a bit and the sound is not so relaxed anymore and no, it is not the amp; the knob is around 30 out of 75 when this is noticeable (there is some decent reserve in the amp). During my 4 years with this setup I noticed the piano sounds a bit boxy at times, especially in the low mids. As good as they are these speakers will not rock the house - they just don't play that clear at (acceptably) loud volume.

NHT.
Wow! Ok, let me try again: detail detail and more detail. Fast even when very loud and crystal clear.
On par with the best I ever listened to then some. I have listened to a lot of gear in the 10-15K$ range and even above - Mahler from VA 13k$, Amati from SF 28K$, Summit and Summit X from ML 10 respective 14 k$, the 801/802 from B&W, old/new Tannoys, etc.
NHT is nothing less. If anything the NHT are better.
The XD system can rock very LOUD and can play jazz very relaxed. With the 2.2 and the filter that sets the system to go down to 20Hz you can listen to organ music and it sounds real. You put the filter for high SPL and you can rock the house and still have plenty of bass down to 25Hz.
The best part - these speakers do not distort at (very) loud volume. One day I asked a friend of mine who is a motocross enthusiast: What kind of cars do you like? The answer came without a blink: The kind of car you can drive at 120Mph and makes you think you're driving 60 Mph, well controlled, balanced cars with sharp steering.
That's how I feel about the NHT Xds - they can rock and sound effortless. They can play organ effortlessly and have all the detail. And this comes from somebody who went to many concerts and operas. Many.
The mids are very fast - I dare to say on par with the best electrostats - don't take my word for it, try them out.
The bass is fast, never boomy and never rattles. The highs are crisp, detailed never too harsh but never mellow.
And the speakers, both bass and monitors are sealed.
Again - unbelievable sound, hard to describe. Precise, effortless and fast.
Instruments like piano and the organ never sounded more life like, ever. Large orchestras, rock bands never sounded so crisp.

After listening to the NHT I decided I have to part with the VA Beethovens/Primare/REL (Audiogon anybody?) - they make no makes no sense to me anymore; they were dwarfed by the NHT XD.

Now, in all fairness below are the things I don't like in the NHT XD active setup:
The most annoying by far is the setting for the XDa that allows you to start the XDa with a music signal. During quiet passages the amp shuts down - annoying. The easy way I fixed that was to use the external trigger input on the XDa: I plugged wires from my preamp's trigger output to the XDa trigger input. It takes 1 minute and a simple wire to do that. Read your preamp manual to locate the trigger output and send that to the trigger input in the XDa. Ok - this was easy.
Another thing is that whenever XDa starts there is a small sound pop in the tweeters.

All in all 4100$ spent at NHT (+ Parasound) is quite THE DEAL.
And the technology is amazing - what the guys at Power Physics/DEQX and NHT achieved is fantastic.
I know this system normally was 7200$ and even at that price I'd call it a bargain since it is as good as the best 15k$ passive speakers.
You get an ACTIVE system - forget the 6db-18db slope passive crossovers with all the inherent problems. Time to move on.
I guess these speakers will not be easily accepted by everybody - progress isn't easy to accept. In a world polluted by mediocre sounding 15k$ there are a very few of them that sound quite good.
And NHT XD active system sounds better than those.

:21:

MrClean
06-09-2009, 08:24 AM
You made a very good choice. Unfortunately, the XD system did not get the respect it was due - I think it was too expensive for non-audiophile types, and too complete a system for equipment junkies who like to constantly swap components in and out of their systems. I still love these speakers several years down the road, which is more than I can say for anything else I've listened to.

Regarding the annoying lag between a signal sent to the system and your ability to hear them, I believe there are some internal switches on both the XDa and XDw so that they remain "on" at all times. The default is merely an energy-saving device. If you contact NHT, they can help you with that. I know they closed shop, but they still have a website up and running, and provide support for their products. Hopefully we have not seen the last of them, as I am completely sold on their products.

J

Boer
06-10-2009, 01:32 PM
You made a very good choice. Unfortunately, the XD system did not get the respect it was due - I think it was too expensive for non-audiophile types, and too complete a system for equipment junkies who like to constantly swap components in and out of their systems. I still love these speakers several years down the road, which is more than I can say for anything else I've listened to.

Regarding the annoying lag between a signal sent to the system and your ability to hear them, I believe there are some internal switches on both the XDa and XDw so that they remain "on" at all times. The default is merely an energy-saving device. If you contact NHT, they can help you with that. I know they closed shop, but they still have a website up and running, and provide support for their products. Hopefully we have not seen the last of them, as I am completely sold on their products.

J

1) The problem was that at quiet music the amp would shut down. There are multiple ways to fix it. You can leave it on all the time; you can use the external trigger like I described (which is what I preferred ), etc.
2) When I bought my system the guy at the NHT factory I talked to told me they will be back in business in a few days. 2 days later they added this section to buy factory direct through the internet:
http://store.nhthifi.com/
It seems they are trying to get back in the game. We'll see...

nightflier
06-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm not too familiar with NHT, so this is just an outsider's perspective, but my guess is that the reason these didn't get the "respect they were due," is the high price. From a company known for it's more down-to-earth pricing (think the T6 complete system), seeing a $6-10K bookshelf appear, even with all the press accolades, just didn't go over well. That price-point is usually reserved not just for drool-inducing performance, but also drool-inducing brand recognition.

In the end, NHT has an image problem that does not permit them to play in the big leagues. They certainly provide value and performance that's comparable, but they just don't have the pedigree. It is essentially the same problem that Pioneer, Fujitsu, Onkyo and several other companies have - they also tried their hand at that market segment and essentially failed.

Personally everything NHT I've ever heard, from the T6 system all the way down to the current classic series was a fantastic value and sounded well above its class. The one gripe I have about the current fare is the lack of choice in cabinet finishes. Piano black is gorgeous, but a pain for those of us who swap gear regularly, who have kids, or who are never satisfied with placement. I know this is a cost-saving design choice, something that certainly seems to trickle down to the consumer, but there's a lot of competition out there and this doesn't help them.

bobsticks
06-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Everything I've heard about the NHT xd has been positive and I'm intrigued...but I'm inclined to agree with 'flier. You mark it at 2k and I'd buy one today.

MrClean
06-10-2009, 09:30 PM
This system was around $6K for 2.1. That included the sats, stands, subwoofer, digital processing, cables and 1100 watts of amplification. Given the level of performance, I'd say it was a bargain. At half the price it is a steal. If you haven't heard them, you won't understand what all the fuss is about. They kill anything remotely close to them in price before you factor in all the other ancillary equipment (amps, cabling, etc.). I will probably pick up another spare system on a-gon just in case.

J

Boer
06-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Everything I've heard about the NHT xd has been positive and I'm intrigued...but I'm inclined to agree with 'flier. You mark it at 2k and I'd buy one today.

You can have a 2.2 system for 2999$ TODAY factory direct, special dark finish. I bought mine exactly 8 days ago.
You get:
Active crossover
2 speakers
2 subs each having 2 10" drivers and 500W amp
600W (4 x 150W) amplification for the speakers

A total of 1600W amplification and active crossover + beautiful finish.
Check out their website.

In my opinion this system beats Mahler from Vienna Acoustics, Amati Homage from Sonus Faber, B&W 801 and 802 and Martin Logan Summit X. Now the cheapest from this list is 13k$ and the most expensive is 28k$. All these were my preferred until 8 days ago. Now NHT Xd is IT.

Boer
06-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm not too familiar with NHT, so this is just an outsider's perspective, but my guess is that the reason these didn't get the "respect they were due," is the high price. From a company known for it's more down-to-earth pricing (think the T6 complete system), seeing a $6-10K bookshelf appear, even with all the press accolades, just didn't go over well. That price-point is usually reserved not just for drool-inducing performance, but also drool-inducing brand recognition.

In the end, NHT has an image problem that does not permit them to play in the big leagues. They certainly provide value and performance that's comparable, but they just don't have the pedigree. It is essentially the same problem that Pioneer, Fujitsu, Onkyo and several other companies have - they also tried their hand at that market segment and essentially failed.

Personally everything NHT I've ever heard, from the T6 system all the way down to the current classic series was a fantastic value and sounded well above its class. The one gripe I have about the current fare is the lack of choice in cabinet finishes. Piano black is gorgeous, but a pain for those of us who swap gear regularly, who have kids, or who are never satisfied with placement. I know this is a cost-saving design choice, something that certainly seems to trickle down to the consumer, but there's a lot of competition out there and this doesn't help them.

T6 has passive crossover and a class G amplifier.
Now class G amplifier is OK by me; passive crossover is a class below the active one (Xd). T6 was 4k$ if I remember correctly (I may be wrong) and Xd 2.2 (2 subs) is right now 3k$.

nightflier
06-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm sure it sounds fantastic, but NHT doesn't play on that court. And if it's selling for $2999 now, I'm sure that there's a lot of people who ponied up $6000 not too long ago that are more than a little irritated by that. Maybe it should have cost $2999 all along? Actually these are made in China, right? Maybe $1999 is more apropos. Look, I'm not trying to knock NHT, but a 50% drop in price is a bit strange, even for an older model, no?

It beats SF Amati Homage? I doubt that. I heard these speakers a couple of weeks ago (in a showroom, no less) and It was the best I have ever heard. They actually sounded better than the JML Utopias in the same room, to my ears. I just can't see NHT's little bookshelves and separate woofers integrate together so well to do that.

MrClean
06-14-2009, 11:51 AM
To paraphrase Buick, this is not your father's sat/sub system. Because of the DEQX processing, these things are able to do what passive crossover-type speakers cannot. It's not just a matter of applying active correction to an existing design, either, as these were designed from the ground up to take full advantage of the DEQX capabilities. This includes choice of drivers and cabinet materials and configuration. They may not be everyone's first choice, but you're never going to please everyone. I just see a lot of people dismiss them without ever having heard them - understandable, because there really weren't many units out there to audition. I heard mine in the same room and position as a pair of B&W 801's and 803's, and I walked out with the Xds. Will it beat an Homage or Alexandria X2 setup? Well, it really shouldn't and I would never suggest that it does. However, it will probably do some things better.

I do not have an optimal room for audio, but you are welcome to come up and hear them - I'm in La Crescenta.

J

Boer
06-15-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm sure it sounds fantastic, but NHT doesn't play on that court. And if it's selling for $2999 now, I'm sure that there's a lot of people who ponied up $6000 not too long ago that are more than a little irritated by that. Maybe it should have cost $2999 all along? Actually these are made in China, right? Maybe $1999 is more apropos. Look, I'm not trying to knock NHT, but a 50% drop in price is a bit strange, even for an older model, no?

It beats SF Amati Homage? I doubt that. I heard these speakers a couple of weeks ago (in a showroom, no less) and It was the best I have ever heard. They actually sounded better than the JML Utopias in the same room, to my ears. I just can't see NHT's little bookshelves and separate woofers integrate together so well to do that.

I have to agree with you about the people who bought a 2.1 system that see now the 2.2 system costing half. I wouldn't like it either. But then again, that was when they launched and this is now, about 4 years later.

I just don't have a lot of respect for companies selling passive speakers over 15k$ when for that money a lot of people buy a CAR. A lot of snake oil there.
At least NHT Xd comes with active digital crossover and they really sound fantastic - made in China or not.
Just think of it - how much do you want to pay for the brand and how much do you want to pay for the engineering?
When I bought my VA Beethovens I had the chance to listem to MK active speakers. They sounded really well but the finish was just awful; I ended up with the VA Beethoven at that time.
I don't know if one can trust Stereophile but look at the measurements for the XD in their review. The response if flatter than the Amati and the NHT Xd have better dispersion and lower bass. Even Mr. Atkinson said in the review the mids of the Xd are as fast as the electrostats...

Feanor
06-16-2009, 05:48 AM
Floorstanding Speakers
NHT Xd (http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_343542_4282crx.aspx)

Per request of NHT, use of photographs of their products are prohibited.

I often post picture of vendor products; I rarely check with the vendor to see whether it's prohibited. My bad: I think it's a failure of motivation on my part.

m.a.c.
07-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Howdy, I picked up one of "the remaining 14 Xd 2.2 systems" currently available and hooked them up today. Having some experience with other DSP systems (DEQX PDC 2.1 with DIY speakers), I'm very impressed with the overall sound of these. My one gripe is that the stands seem like they are way too short for typical seating. They still image well with my ears above the tops of the cabinets but I think I may raise them two feet. Anyone else using theirs with the stock stands?

Cheers,
mac

Feanor
07-03-2009, 04:17 AM
Howdy, I picked up one of "the remaining 14 Xd 2.2 systems" currently available and hooked them up today. Having some experience with other DSP systems (DEQX PDC 2.1 with DIY speakers), I'm very impressed with the overall sound of these. My one gripe is that the stands seem like they are way too short for typical seating. They still image well with my ears above the tops of the cabinets but I think I may raise them two feet. Anyone else using theirs with the stock stands?

Cheers,
mac

Welcome to AR, Mac,

The NHT Xd is definitely an attractive option at the $3k price point: too bad they won't be around for long. I gather that NHT's new old management is refocusing their product line on core products.

However I think DSP isa very valid concept with which it is possible to exercise far more precise control over such aspects as driver crossover, driver phase, equalization and room compensation, that was ever possible before. Kudos to the likes of DEQX, TacT, and Lyngdorf for their advanced approach to the solution of audio problems.

It's a pity the "purists" reject so many of the advances. I think ignorance and bias are behind most of it. To cut to the chase, well design & build DSP systems using hi-rez ADC / DAC, (e.g. 24/192 or higher), are transparent to human hearing.

MrClean
07-06-2009, 07:24 AM

Cheers,
mac

I have heard of people propping the fronts of the stands slightly - I would think this might compromise their stability, but it is worth a try to see if you like the sound better.

J

Boer
07-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Cheers,
mac

There may be a reason for that - phase accuracy. According to the NHT website:
"For best imaging, each XdW must be located within 1’ of it’s XdS."
If you raise them by 2 feet the phase/imaging may suffer; the XdW distance to the mid/tweeter is longer and remember the subs go up to 135Hz.
I use them with the standard stands and I love every Db of it!
For under 15k$ you can't beat this:
1) DSP + active crossover 100DB slope between tweeter and mid, 48Db slope between sub and mid
2) phase aligned
3) acoustic suspension

romanesq
08-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Cheers,
mac

You are very, very lucky to get this system for this price and getting two subs makes it insane.

Anyway, what you can do is use like a vcr tape and put it under the front middle of each satellite and that will do the trick.

Can't believe that folks are getting these for 3K when they went for $7200.

So the vcr tape fits perfectly under the middle front and then is almost transparent. That'll do the trick.

Boer
01-09-2010, 10:46 PM
For the past few months (06/09) I have a NHT XD 2.2 active crossover speaker system.
I did a lot of google searches about these speakers; one day I found this:
http://www.audioconsultingservices.com/nht_mods.html

My Xd system sounded very good from the beginning even with the (slight) hissing - this hissing does NOT increase with the volume and I could barely hear it from about 6 feet.
I sent an email to the ACS people and got back a bit of useful info about the mod.
The hissing is coming from the DAC - ANY dac makes switching noise. Now the cleanest fix is to put some resistors after the DAC to lose 6Db and turn up the digital volume inside the DSP. This takes out 6Db of noise.
Now the cost for the mod is 200$ and after thinking a few days I went for it - this is something you can measure and HEAR the difference.
After I got my XDA back I can only hear the hissing from 2 feet (only in a very quiet room) so it works as advertised.
I tested the speakers at very low levels and very loud levels - the sound is just crisp, dynamic and very natural.
I highly recommend this mod to any XD owner.