tv shows vs movies [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : tv shows vs movies

s dog
09-20-2005, 09:24 PM
The other night i got thinking about the tv shows i watch every week like all the csi stuff, with out a trace, cold case,lost, survivor, ect,ect. It seems that the tv show i watch are better than most of the movies i have seen in the last year or so IMO .Just wanderd if anyone feels the same, heck csi miamis opener monday night was really good ,cant wait for csi new york and criminal minds, How ever i do have high hopes for flight plan. Just wanted to share a few thoughts

anamorphic96
09-20-2005, 10:38 PM
I have to agree with you on this one. Some of the TV shows out today are damn good.

The premiere of NCIS was damn good tonight. Much better than alot of the crap out in theatres now. Im looking forward to CSI: NY and Vegas as well. But Family Guy and the Simpsons are still my current favorites. 24 should be a real treat as well. I just got into that show last year and boy is it addictive.

However we are hitting the final stretch of the year so hopefully will see some good stuff in the theatres. It's a shame we have to wait until the last 3 months for the good stuff.

Worf101
09-21-2005, 05:16 AM
For every "Soprano's" "Six Feet Under" or "Family Guy" you have 20 "Reality" shows, soap opera's, Donald Trumps Wig, Oprahs incredibly shrinkin' ass. Pheh... not for me. I watch the HIstory Channel and HBO and that's about if for me. There were/are plenty of good movies out there, the problem is you can't get the chain movie houses to show them. What you need is an "art" theatre like the Spectrum 8 Theatre we have here in Albany, NY. Then you see movies like, "Sin City" , "Crash", "The Woodsman"... etc...

Da Worfster :cool:

GMichael
09-21-2005, 07:07 AM
TV is getting better and worse at the same time. For every good new program there are 10 new pieces of... well, ya know. But with sooooo many channels to choose from I never have trouble finding something to record. My hard drive records more programs each week than I have time to watch. And the sound quality is getting very good.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-21-2005, 12:59 PM
For every "Soprano's" "Six Feet Under" or "Family Guy" you have 20 "Reality" shows, soap opera's, Donald Trumps Wig, Oprahs incredibly shrinkin' ass. Pheh... not for me. I watch the HIstory Channel and HBO and that's about if for me. There were/are plenty of good movies out there, the problem is you can't get the chain movie houses to show them. What you need is an "art" theatre like the Spectrum 8 Theatre we have here in Albany, NY. Then you see movies like, "Sin City" , "Crash", "The Woodsman"... etc...

Word. I couldn't have said it better myself. Or maybe I could have.....eh...maybe not.

jack70
09-21-2005, 03:48 PM
The "problem" is that there are simply too many shows period... whether we're talking about TV or movies (or music CDs or books). With the loads of cable networks, channels, and 24-7 programming it's so easy to miss many (good) shows. Luckily, many that DO get missed (by a big audience) are able to get a second life on other networks after they're dead. I hate the way the big networks sh_t-can shows on a dime; often after only just 1 or 2 episodes -- just stupid (remember the sci-fi show "Harsh Realm"?... why bother shooting a show if you're not going to properly advertise it & give it a shot to get an audience?). So I both agree with Worf & GMichael... there's more good... and more bad, simply because of the huge amount available today.

I've never watched any of the "reality" shows. I don't watch comedy's anymore because most are the same basic storylines, over & over & over. I'd rather watch a classic from the 50's or 60's (Honeymooners or All in the Family). An occasional repeat of Seinfeld or Raymond can be OK though. Having said that, I'll contradict myself a bit & say that Monk (on USA) is actually quite funny (especially if you have any type-A compulsive psychological ticks/urges). He just won the emmy for comedy actor, and that's reassuring that enough people saw & appreciated his work. The shows are actually quite well written & entertaining... pretty good strictly in the realm of mystery/detective type plots. But because the show is on USA, it's probably not seen by more people either.

I've gone to see maybe one movie over the past 15 years... the reason is the prices, lousy (smaller) theaters & seats, and ungodly long commercials. At least with videotape you can fast forward that crap. Like TV, there are SO MANY good smaller films that are made but never released by the major distribution companies (big boys). Many will eventually show up on TV networks, if not the majors, then on Lifetime, History Ch (Band of Brothers has been a regular feature), TNT, FX, SciFi, USA, etc. But there are hundreds & hundreds every year that never get seen at all. Someday there'll be an easier way to hear about them all, and get to see them online.

But I'd agree that there are probably only 2 or 3 "new" shows every season that are worth seeing. 24, with all it's faults, is worth following simply because of the incredibly crazy & suspenseful situations it drops the characters into. The new Fox show "Prison Break" is similarly good... it's also a serialized action/suspense, and also unbelievable in many spots, but has enough simultaneous stories going to keep you wondering "what the f_ck?"

BTW, Lost returns tonight. A show that started off last season like a loser... all the characters, except Locke, were unlikeable & negative... until they (through flashbacks) allowed the audience to see they all WERE worth caring about. My prediction is that they find the hatch goes down to.... a Dunkin Donuts!. They find out Locke has known about this & kept it a secret from the others, which is the start of a war within the group. (how else has Harley stayed fat for all those months eating just fish?)

s dog
09-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Yea it is ture there are so many shows out there that i have a hard time watching them all ,heck i tape around 10-12 shows a week plus i like to fire the home theater system up for at lest one new dvd release a week and then there is football on top of that, but then i shelled out $2,000.00 bucks on a HDTV so i might as well use it.

Worf101
09-22-2005, 05:00 AM
Word. I couldn't have said it better myself. Or maybe I could have.....eh...maybe not.

I think.... What's shakin' Bacon? We're havin' a wonderful fall here and I'm glad to enjoy the lull in the wars between you and Lex. Whew... I like a good scrap as well as the next guy but dayum!. You guys, you guys. I try and stay neuteral like a large, black Switzerland until somebody says something soooo ridiculous I have to throw my had in the ring. How you doin?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-22-2005, 06:02 AM
I think.... What's shakin' Bacon? We're havin' a wonderful fall here and I'm glad to enjoy the lull in the wars between you and Lex. Whew... I like a good scrap as well as the next guy but dayum!. You guys, you guys. I try and stay neuteral like a large, black Switzerland until somebody says something soooo ridiculous I have to throw my had in the ring. How you doin?

Chillin, and taking a breather from the food fight. Our exchange of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches can get pretty messy, but its all in fun and its great entertainment for you guys. I just find it pretty weird that someone could work for DVD review publications, but is reviewing really old titles when everyone else is getting studio screeners weeks before releases. I don't really mind if a person makes claims, but you have to have a sliver of proof in order to be legit. We haven't seen one trace of proof, but alot of claims.

A food fight is no fun if you are not going to contribute. Stay off the sidelines and throw food dang it!!

shokhead
09-22-2005, 06:07 AM
The "problem" is that there are simply too many shows period... whether we're talking about TV or movies (or music CDs or books). With the loads of cable networks, channels, and 24-7 programming it's so easy to miss many (good) shows. Luckily, many that DO get missed (by a big audience) are able to get a second life on other networks after they're dead. I hate the way the big networks sh_t-can shows on a dime; often after only just 1 or 2 episodes -- just stupid (remember the sci-fi show "Harsh Realm"?... why bother shooting a show if you're not going to properly advertise it & give it a shot to get an audience?). So I both agree with Worf & GMichael... there's more good... and more bad, simply because of the huge amount available today.

I've never watched any of the "reality" shows. I don't watch comedy's anymore because most are the same basic storylines, over & over & over. I'd rather watch a classic from the 50's or 60's (Honeymooners or All in the Family). An occasional repeat of Seinfeld or Raymond can be OK though. Having said that, I'll contradict myself a bit & say that Monk (on USA) is actually quite funny (especially if you have any type-A compulsive psychological ticks/urges). He just won the emmy for comedy actor, and that's reassuring that enough people saw & appreciated his work. The shows are actually quite well written & entertaining... pretty good strictly in the realm of mystery/detective type plots. But because the show is on USA, it's probably not seen by more people either.

I've gone to see maybe one movie over the past 15 years... the reason is the prices, lousy (smaller) theaters & seats, and ungodly long commercials. At least with videotape you can fast forward that crap. Like TV, there are SO MANY good smaller films that are made but never released by the major distribution companies (big boys). Many will eventually show up on TV networks, if not the majors, then on Lifetime, History Ch (Band of Brothers has been a regular feature), TNT, FX, SciFi, USA, etc. But there are hundreds & hundreds every year that never get seen at all. Someday there'll be an easier way to hear about them all, and get to see them online.

But I'd agree that there are probably only 2 or 3 "new" shows every season that are worth seeing. 24, with all it's faults, is worth following simply because of the incredibly crazy & suspenseful situations it drops the characters into. The new Fox show "Prison Break" is similarly good... it's also a serialized action/suspense, and also unbelievable in many spots, but has enough simultaneous stories going to keep you wondering "what the f_ck?"

BTW, Lost returns tonight. A show that started off last season like a loser... all the characters, except Locke, were unlikeable & negative... until they (through flashbacks) allowed the audience to see they all WERE worth caring about. My prediction is that they find the hatch goes down to.... a Dunkin Donuts!. They find out Locke has known about this & kept it a secret from the others, which is the start of a war within the group. (how else has Harley stayed fat for all those months eating just fish?)

I dont miss anything. TiVo

kexodusc
09-22-2005, 06:15 AM
I haven't been overly impressed with either the past 2 years...Sports in HD accounts for most of my time in front of the TV.
There are a few very good shows on still.

My favorite show since moving to Canada has been this Canadian cult classic - "Trailer Park Boys"
on their equivalent of Showtime.
DAMN FUNNY! A bunch of loser white-trash (Canadian) trailer folks and their weekly plots to get rich...low, low budget, but solid humor...and an underlying love and respect theme...Excellent TV!!!
http://www.showcase.ca/trailerparkboys/

dean_martin
09-22-2005, 08:37 AM
The other night i got thinking about the tv shows i watch every week like all the csi stuff, with out a trace, cold case,lost, survivor, ect,ect. It seems that the tv show i watch are better than most of the movies i have seen in the last year or so IMO .Just wanderd if anyone feels the same, heck csi miamis opener monday night was really good ,cant wait for csi new york and criminal minds, How ever i do have high hopes for flight plan. Just wanted to share a few thoughts

I'll put my most watched tv shows in tiers.

Tier one
Family Guy
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Tier two
King of the Hill
The Daily Show
Chappelle's Show
That 70s Show
Raymond re-runs
Seinfeld re-runs

I haven't gotten into a dramatic series since the early days of the Sapranos and the West Wing. Before that it would have to be early Law and Order, but I don't even watch the re-runs of those anymore. Occasionally, I'll catch an X-Files re-run, but I've found that those are hit-or-miss. It's 50/50 whether I watch the whole episode. Going back a few years, I used to watch the Twin Peaks series religously. These days I tune in for comedy - the good ones are scarce - and sports, and I get my drama from movies or real life.

I've seen ads for a new series about aliens invading after a hurricane or huge storm. I may have to look into that one.

GMichael
09-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Being a huge Sci-Fi fan from way back I have no trouble finding good TV to watch. The sound quality of the Sci-Fi channel is exceptional. And they have new, made for Sci-Fi, movies on every Saturday at 9PM. Add to that the Friday Sci-Fi night line up with Firefly, new SG1 episodes, Atlantis and Battle Star Galactica and I never run out of shows to watch. Roswell airs at like 3 AM Saturday mornings. Smallville on the WB. My hard drive is full all the time.

Kam
09-22-2005, 09:51 AM
i think there is a huge gap of quality in tv (and movies) and one of the major reasons was the writers strike oh-so-long ago that helped to create the reality tv dillemma. personally, i hate all 'reality' shows not revolved around sports (i liked the contender as cheesy and schmaltzy as it was). now the writers out there have to 'win' back the audience they lost with reality, and its resulting in breaking down the rules and the genre and reinventing television (see 24, lost, etc). tv is also now in competition with the theaters, and validly so with a lot of people dissallusioned by what others have already mentioned (commercials, escalating prices, crappy crowds, crying babies at midnight horror movie showings, etc escalating prices, escalating prices, etc). i know unless its a preview screening or an 'event' picture, or something on the Imax screen, i generally dont like to go to the movies at all anymore (especially not on a friday or sat night, especially here in manhattan where the crowds are the worst ever).

and the film industry is currently plagued with serious business management issues. there are great writers and scripts out there, its just that when an executive can only make a business decision, they cant judge something ala "reservoir dogs" and how it might do, but they can judge 'dukes of hazzard' and its potential (speaking in terms of target markets, upside, marketing opportunities, tie ins, etc) to make money. what's the potential on 'my big fat greek wedding'? who knows? there's no formula to gauge how a movie like that will do. so no-one picks it up and it gets made independently, finds a distributor, and makes a killing! how do you market Reservoir Dogs? is there a mcdonalds Mr. Pink toy they can sell? can they have different colored happy meals to promote the movie? what's the potential on 'passion of the christ'? too controversial. potential for a huge backlash with any topics concerning jesus. hollywood stays away, mel puts up his own money to make it and goes buckwild. hollywood isn't as liberal or controversial in their output as everyone thinks. they are hamstrung by their fear of a backlash from middle america, you know, "that place" between la and nyc where most of their money comes from.

the truly artistic and freethinkers dont work within the hollywood system, not because they don't want to, but because they can't. rodriguez just quit the directors guild over Sin City, joining Tarantino and Lucas as major players not affiliated with the unions. (side note: the major reason why return of the jedi sucked was because lucas wanted spielberg to direct it but couldnt get him because of union issues. so he basically directed it himself through Marquand) Paul haggis (academy award winning writer of million dollar baby) has to find independent financing for his directorial debut "Crash." Clint Eastwood finds indie financing for mystic river, inspite of his (and that incredible casts) track record. Films and entertainment is a business and has aspects of it that absolutely should be run like any other business. But when it comes to the art side of things, business men cannot make valid decisions. In the top ten grossing movies of all time (US boxoffice) only one had complete support from its studio from beginning to end: Spiderman. (Titanic was studio financed, but plagued by the studio wanting to pull the plug at every stage with the now infamous deal of cameron forgoing his salary to take more out of the backend instead and... making millions more. Shrek 2 is the only other movie with 'studio' financing, however i dont generally lump all dreamworks movies into the categories as other studios because dreamworks has a very different internal structure when it comes to greenlighting movies.)

ok, done with my rant. :)

peace
k2

(oh yeah, fav shows include: Family guy, simpsons, entourage, Lost.)

Defshep
09-23-2005, 05:17 AM
I really got into Nip/Tuck the first season. It was the coolest/quirkiest show on tv. However, season 2 lost me halfway through. Guess I'm not edgy enough for it. Getting back into CSI and CSI Miami. I want to check out Lost, but I missed the first season.

eisforelectronic
09-24-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm all about Battlestar Galactica