Anyone hear the latest Glass Hammer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear the latest Glass Hammer?

3-LockBox
09-20-2005, 09:06 PM
I have the last one, <i>Shadowlands</i>, which was pretty good, but didn't blow me away.

BarryL
09-21-2005, 07:16 AM
I have the last one, <i>Shadowlands</i>, which was pretty good, but didn't blow me away.

The new one won't blow you away either.

I've been listening to it for a few weeks.

It's an ambitious project and it's pretty good, but nothing mind blowing.

The first CD doesn't do much for me. It contains two longer songs, but I really haven't spun this one as much as the second.

The second contains about a dozen songs with some repeating themes and a couple of orchestrated tracks. The female vocalist is very good. The whole thing is a bit mellow, but melodic. I enjoy listening to this disk.

The album is well recorded and sounds nice. Overall it is a high quality package, and should garner them some attention. It will likely make top 10 lists because it's a labour of love for the band, and they've tried to create an epic 2 CD package including a Roger Dean cover.

richmon
09-21-2005, 08:51 AM
I've got Chromatree which has some moments, but overall it's just good in spots.
Saw them live @ NF2002, this band has all the chops and elements to be great. They even added a 10 voice choir, yet ultimatly, somethings was missing.
Can't put my finger on it, enormous potential unrealized imo.

BarryL
09-21-2005, 10:03 AM
I've got Chromatree which has some moments, but overall it's just good in spots.
Saw them live @ NF2002, this band has all the chops and elements to be great. They even added a 10 voice choir, yet ultimatly, somethings was missing.
Can't put my finger on it, enormous potential unrealized imo.

As to their unrealized potential:

1. Their lead singer is vocally competent, but doesn't stand out in any way with unique features. He's certainly not a rocker, but is competent.

2. They want to be an orchestral prog-rock band on the classical side of things, which means well constructed songs, and at this I think they succeed. But because there are no really driving rhythms, and because they don't come anywhere near the benchmark of Yes on Close To The Edge and And You And I for classical prog structure and songwriting, they appear to be second rate.

To summarize, the band really doesn't have its own unique sound; they lack a differentiation factor; the musicianship and craftsmanship is done with a high degree of integrity, but doesn't come near to the best in the genre, making them appear as wannbes.

They should continue to do what they are doing and eventually they and the prog audiences will come around.