please help...onkyo tx-sr702 "protection mode" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : please help...onkyo tx-sr702 "protection mode"

venkman
09-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Hi I just bought an onkyo TX-SR702 two weeks ago and it worked fine for 1.5 weeks. Then last night when I was watching tv it shut off. Now when I turn it on it turns right off and says protection. I called onecall.com where I bought and they said I can return it but I have to pay for shipping. I don't really mind I guess but I don't want it to happen again. I am currently using two Klipsch KG 3.5 and the Klipsch website says they are rated at 65 watts max continuous and 325 watts peak and 8 ohms. My reciever is rated at 100 watts. Is this okay or the cause of the failure? Also is there anyway to reset this so I don't have to ship it back or is there some real damage? I thought it might have been an overheating issue so I let it sit unplugged from the wall and all speakers and input/outputs over night. Then I turned it on this morning but with the same results. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JACK

Tarheel_
09-20-2005, 03:46 AM
Jack

The receiver should handle those speakers without problem. Give yourself a huge pat-on-the-back because you purchased from an authorized dealer. Ship it back, i'm guessing they should refund your shipping cost due to the defect.

PAT.P
09-20-2005, 04:45 AM
Reason why a receiver would go in protect mode.Overload,short circuit,overheating,loose or frayed wires,playing volume at unresonable level which may overdrive the amp or positioning the unit in a location without proper ventilation.As for power as soon as you could hear clipping from speaker you know your receiver is at limit (doubt this was your problem).Try to reset at factory setting ,it should say in your manual.

Geoffcin
09-20-2005, 05:02 AM
Hi I just bought an onkyo TX-SR702 two weeks ago and it worked fine for 1.5 weeks. Then last night when I was watching tv it shut off. Now when I turn it on it turns right off and says protection. I called onecall.com where I bought and they said I can return it but I have to pay for shipping. I don't really mind I guess but I don't want it to happen again. I am currently using two Klipsch KG 3.5 and the Klipsch website says they are rated at 65 watts max continuous and 325 watts peak and 8 ohms. My reciever is rated at 100 watts. Is this okay or the cause of the failure? Also is there anyway to reset this so I don't have to ship it back or is there some real damage? I thought it might have been an overheating issue so I let it sit unplugged from the wall and all speakers and input/outputs over night. Then I turned it on this morning but with the same results. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JACK

Remove all speaker wire connections. Unplug receiver and plug it back in. Turn it on. Does it show overload? If so send it back there's nothing that you can do.

If not, then connect one speaker at a time, turn off & on receiver each time and see if there's one speaker lead that causes the overload. If you find one, then replace the wire, does it still overload? If so try the wire on a different speaker, does that overload now? If the wire is good, and the different speaker plays then your SPEAKER is the problem. If the wire causes the problem then it's your WIRE that is causing the short. Remember to do this with only one wire & one speaker at a time. Good luck!

venkman
09-20-2005, 08:41 AM
thanks guys. I tried disconnecting everything but still can't keep the receiver on. I guess I gotta ship it back. Glad to know its not my speakers. I guess I am gonna need to install some fans in my entertainment center or something. I was listening to it a very low level because it was late at night when it went out. Thanks again.

JACK