electrical tape? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : electrical tape?

Jonnylaw
09-19-2005, 10:37 AM
If a speaker wire's protective cover is stripped in a small place and the copper wire is exposed, is it ok to just use some electrical tape to cover the tear in the rubber? All of the exposed copper strands seem to be intact and not torn. Will any kind of electrical tape do?

FLZapped
09-20-2005, 06:34 AM
If a speaker wire's protective cover is stripped in a small place and the copper wire is exposed, is it ok to just use some electrical tape to cover the tear in the rubber? All of the exposed copper strands seem to be intact and not torn. Will any kind of electrical tape do?

Yes, you can, in time, though, the adhesive will break down and become gummy. If you can use heat shrink tubing, that would be a better solution.

Otherwise, I would put some "Black Plastic Rubber" over the tape to permanently seal it. Just don't get it on your skin, you'll have to wear it off.....

-Bruce

kexodusc
09-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Darn, FLZapped beat me to it. Oh well...Heat shrink really is the way to go.

FLZapped
09-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Darn, FLZapped beat me to it. Oh well...Heat shrink really is the way to go.

That's what I keep this #4 whip and chair for. . . . :p

Jonnylaw
09-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Is heat shrink tubing available at hardware stores?

FLZapped
09-22-2005, 06:19 PM

Hmmmmm...I believe I have seen it at my local HD, but right now I couldn't swear to it.

-Bruce

Glen B
09-22-2005, 11:35 PM

Got a Rat Shack near you ?
http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F010%5F008%5F002&Page=1

As Bruce thinks, Home Depot also has a limited selection of heat shrink tubing.

kexodusc
09-23-2005, 02:04 AM
If Radio Shack or Home Depot fails, any UAP/NAPA store or other autopart joint will have some..