Yamaha DSP-AX1(european version)---$1000 Canadian, worth it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha DSP-AX1(european version)---$1000 Canadian, worth it?

Mooch28
09-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Hey guys,

As i stated in another thread ive been looking at three recievers, the.....

- Onkyo TX-DS575X (around $589 Can)
- Yamaha RXV1500 (Around $608 Can)
- Harman Kardon AVR335 (around $525 Can)

Now today i went to my local high end audio shop, and he told me he had a flag ship Yamaha DSP-AX1 integrated HT amp. It weighs in about 62 pounds, and is an absoltete beast. Now im not sure how old the amp is, but it did retail for about 6000-7000 dollars at one time.
Now the model he has, is not the NA version, but a European version. Could someone explain the difference to me?

Anyways, he said i could have it for $1000 Can, taxes in. Is that a good deal?

I mean this is a flag ship integrated amp, and i am sure it's a big step up on the recievers listed above depite it's age. Also, is their anything i should be aware of with this amp?

Here is a link for the amp..

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2000/1004.html

Thanks guys!!

Woochifer
09-19-2005, 07:00 AM
That particular design's about five years old. It's a great receiver with a formidable amp section and solid build quality, but it does lack some of the newer decoding, digital video switching, and auto calibration features. It all depends on what you're looking for. The European version is the same thing as the North American market RX-V1 minus the radio tuner. The primary difference is in the power supply and the voltage settings -- just make sure that it will accept North American 120v current. I would also be concerned about how much mileage and wear and tear that unit has on it already.

Have you actually listened to or otherwise tried out all of these receivers you're interested in? Just going on a spec sheet and price point without seeing how the receiver actually operates is not a good way to shop.

Mooch28
09-19-2005, 10:27 AM
That particular design's about five years old. It's a great receiver with a formidable amp section and solid build quality, but it does lack some of the newer decoding, digital video switching, and auto calibration features. It all depends on what you're looking for. The European version is the same thing as the North American market RX-V1 minus the radio tuner. The primary difference is in the power supply and the voltage settings -- just make sure that it will accept North American 120v current. I would also be concerned about how much mileage and wear and tear that unit has on it already.

Have you actually listened to or otherwise tried out all of these receivers you're interested in? Just going on a spec sheet and price point without seeing how the receiver actually operates is not a good way to shop.

Well, the unit is in mint condition. Not a single scratch, which shows me it was probably well taken care of.

The back of it also has a switch for 120 or 220 voltage, so that is not a problem.

As for the decoding, it's got Dolby EX Processing,DTS ES Processing, Component Switching, Burr-Brown DACs on all channels, and is capable of doing 5.1, as well as 6.1. Now ofcourse, id never buy on specs, infact ive brought it home for a week to demo it with my current system.

Now heres the other thing. The reciever i had was an Onkyo 575X, 5.1, DD, DTS, etc. The only reason im replacing that one is, because it got blow by a lighting strike.

Now this Yamaha amp was made the exact same year, but was the top end amp at the time at $7000+. The way i look at is, im upgrading by a huge margin, not only in terms of sound, but also with added futures like Video component inputs, ES, 6.1, etc.

Ive heard some of the Yamahas, and have liked what ive heard, but i figured this thing being a integrated amp, with Burr-Brown DACs would sound much better then any current model im looking at. I also have no plans of running any of my other componets through my reciever, nor do i plan on adding more then 5 speakers, not including the sub. For what i need it for, it;s a steal imo.

Oh, and finally, as for wear and tear, are units like this not meant to last for 10+ years? I mean exceptional build quality should get you more then 5 years no?

But just outa curiosity, assuming i really like the unit (not set-up yet), is that a good price? Infact, he said he would let it go for 900, taxes in after some negotiating.

Thanks again, and i really appreciate your help!

Mooch28
09-19-2005, 07:29 PM
No other opinions guys?

:p