Definitive BP 6B/8B/10B series as rear surrounds? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Definitive BP 6B/8B/10B series as rear surrounds?

billku
09-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi all --

I recently purchased two Def Tech BP7006's to use as my front speakers and a c/l/r 2002 to use as my center for my HT setup. I was going to buy something from the BPX series to use as my rear surrounds, but I'm seeing a lot of the BP6B/8B/10B towers on ebay, and, wisdom of purchasing speakers on ebay aside, does anyone out there have an opinion on whether these BP6B/8B/10B floorstanding speakers would make good, or even better, rear surrounds than something from the BPX series? I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR702 receiver, and the room is about 14' x 25'.

Thanks so much in advance!!!!!!!

billku
09-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Anyone? Please? I realize this may be a dumb question, but I'm very new to the A/V game.

SlumpBuster
09-19-2005, 10:31 AM
It's not a dumb question.

The towers will make fine surround speakers. There is much debate on the use of dipole and bipole speakers in a digital surround system. Some people argue that the surround channels in a digital system should be monopole and that some surround cues are lost by the diffuse patterns created by dipole and bipole speakers. However, since we're talking about Definitve Technology here, you've bought into bipole speakers regardless, so the towers would be fine. The only sound issue is the bass management, with so many towers bass can become overwhelming, but that can be tweaked for your room.

The more practical problem will be placement issues. Even with a dedicated HT room, I still went with wall mountable surrounds after seriously weighing the tower route. It just allows for more flexibility.

billku
09-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks, Slump! Great thoughts!

Woochifer
09-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Towers for the rear surrounds might work well if you're using a large space. Otherwise, if it's overly confined, you will likely be better off with high mounted bookshelf speakers. The proper positioning for a 5.1 setup is shown below. Dolby further adds that you should elevate the surround speakers above ear level and point them directly at one another if you plan on using your surround setup for both movies and multichannel music. With movie soundtracks, you're likelier to want something that can diffuse the sound somewhat. Speakers that are lower and closer to ear level will work fine with multichannel music, but you need a lot of free space around the surround speakers and the surrounds will sound like point sources with the more diffused ambient cues on movie soundtracks.

Generally, I prefer direct firing speakers over dipoles because of their better imaging properties when listening to multichannel music and newer movie soundtracks that are repurposed and optimized for home theater setups (rather than movie theaters). Bipoles I have not heard enough of in a 5.1 configuration. Sir Terrence (our resident sound engineer) has advised going with bipoles in the past for surround setups, and his advice and recommendations are almost always spot on correct.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/global/images/diagrams/dolby_digital_pro_logic2.jpg

billku
09-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks a mill for your input! I probably will go with the bookshelf surround dipoles from def tech in a configuration like the one you included (though no sub since there are built in subs in the def tech front towers). One more silly question: My def tech center is too wide for the shelf in the cabinet below the tv, it can't go right under the tv (without some kind of add-on shelf that the tv can sit on -- do they make those?) and can't go right on top of the tv because it's a plasma. Does anyone have any recommendations about how where I can mount it/put it? Again, thanks so much...

thekid
09-20-2005, 03:19 PM
IMO if you are going to use that center speaker it is going to have to go either over or below the TV. Since the center channel carries dialogue putting it anywhere else would cause you problems because the sound from the speaker won't sinq up with the image on the screen. The other option would be to eliminate the center and run your dialogue through your mains. IMO I would also reconsider not having a sub. I can't speak to your specific towers but even if they do have good bass most material I have read still recommends using a sub and bass management of the other speakers to achieve optimum results. Good luck in whatever decisions you make!

billku
09-20-2005, 04:03 PM
From what I've been told (and heard), the def tech BP7006 have built-in powered sub-woofers, not just good bass, so I think I'm okay forgoing a separate subwoofer, but I could be wrong. Also, I absolutely plan to put the center (I've already bought it) below or above the TV, it's just a logistics issue -- I either need some kind of shelf that can sit atop my entertainment center/stand that can house the center (the shelves in the stand are too small) and that my 50" plasma can sit on top of, or I somehow need to mount the center over the TV, and since the tv sits about two feet in front of the wall, I'm not sure how to do that and keep the front of the center flush with the front of the tv. Help!

thekid
09-21-2005, 04:48 PM
The simple answer is to custom build a shelf that meets the criteria. The cheap way would be to go to your local hardware sore and have them cut you piece of wood -stain it to match your existing stand and get some mount brackets to attach it to the wall. Home Depot has some pretty simple bracket/shelve systems that you attach to the wall behind the TV. You could add additonal shelves if you want and make it look like it is an integrated shelf rather than "just" a shelf for your center channel. An even more interesting approach would be use eyehooks and some wire/filament and suspend the speaker over the TV. Place 3-4 eyehooks in the ceiling above the TV and if possible you could attach several eyehooks into the speaker itself , taking care not to damage the speaker itself. If it is a low traffic area there should not be a concern of the speaker swinging back and forth and it could present a visually unique effect especially if you could find a thin clear monofilament ( fish ing line?? ) so that it appears your speaker is floating. Other more informed people might be able to comment but I don't think suspending the speaker above the TV would affect its sound characteristics.

billku
09-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks, "thekid" I'm a little worried about suspending it since it's thirty pounds, so I'll probably go the custom shelf route, though it's a bit more effort than I wanted to make. The other solution was to find a speaker stand that has a base with a small enough footprint so that I can sit it atop the stand that the plasma sits on, behind the plasma. The speaker is thirty pounds, though, so finding a 40" stand with a small footprint (no more than 10") that can handle that weight is a bit of a challenge.

billku
09-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Also, does anyone know if the center speaker HAS to be flush with the front of the TV, or can it be a six or seven inches or so behind? Should it be elevated a bit more if it's a little behind so the sound doesn't bounce off the back of the TV?

albacora14
10-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi, Let me tell you that I have the early BP-8, two as front, and the other ones as back, they sound terrific, I recommend you use the same model as suroound.

albacora14
10-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Hi, Let me tell you that I have the early BP-8, two as front, and the other ones as back, they sound terrific, I recommend you use the same model as suroound.