Lip-sync function [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lip-sync function

jqc123
09-18-2005, 06:31 AM
I recently had a new HT setup installed in the basement. Samsung 56" 1080p DLP (HL-R5678), Arcam AVR300 receiver, Arcam DV79 DVD/CD player, Thiel CS1.6 speakers. Will add other speakers to complete 5.1 setup when cash flow allows it. For now I am enjoying 2-channel.

Not suprisingly, there initially was a delay between the video and audio on DVD's. I corrected this by adding an 80ms delay using the DVD player. I then noticed that I could also correct the delay using the receiver.

Is there any advantage to using the receiver vs the DVD player to correct the delay? The only other source I have is a high-def satellite receiver, and I have not noticed any delay with it. I have no plans to add other sources in the forseeable future.

Thanks.

edtyct
09-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Not really, but I'd do it at the source as you did--potentially more precision and less chance for error if inputs on the receiver get changed for some reason.

Congratulations on your system. I've suggested the Arcam 300 on this board as an elegant, alternative to separates in certain situations without any sacrifice in sound quality. Skeptic abound, I think. What's your impression of it?

Ed

jqc123
09-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Not really, but I'd do it at the source as you did--potentially more precision and less chance for error if inputs on the receiver get changed for some reason.

Congratulations on your system. I've suggested the Arcam 300 on this board as an elegant, alternative to separates in certain situations without any sacrifice in sound quality. Skeptic abound, I think. What's your impression of it?

Ed

I have only had it for 2 days...

I auditioned a number of speakers and liked the Thiels the best. It was also advantageous that the Thiels were available at a nearby dealer. I listened to them with the Arcam AVR300, which was one of the dealer recommendations to drive the Thiels (which I know are notoriously sensitive to the amps used with them). The reviews for the Arcam were mostly positive, so I decided to go with it as opposed to separates (more $$). It will take me some time to sort out the various variables (sources, speaker break-in, etc.). Right now I can say I love the understated appearance of the Arcam, and the flawless and simple operation. Since the entire system is new I have not had the opportunity to compare the speakers with other amps. Thus far I am thrilled with the sound and only expect it to get better.