Replacement for Definitive Tech powerfield 12 Sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Definitive Tech powerfield 12 Sub

msinderson
09-17-2005, 04:36 PM
My 8yr old Definitive Tech powerfield 12 sub got toasted in a major power surge so now I am looking for a replacement subwoofer. My budget is $500 give or take but if I can find something for less that would be great. Our listening room is in the basement and is about 15x20. 75% of listening/viewing id DVD while rest is music,(mostly classic rock, blues and jazz). Any suggestions for me. I have done a little research and the SVS subs seem like a good bet, how do they compare to the other major (store bought) brands. Thanks for the help!

N. Abstentia
09-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Actually an SVS will pretty much run circles around most store bought subs in the $500 range, I can't actually think of any good subs in that price range that you could just run down to Circuit City or Best Buy to get...

msinderson
09-17-2005, 06:46 PM
In your Opinion, which of the SVS should I consider, cylinder or box, and would the SV-25-31 meet my needs and be a good replacement for my dead Powerfield? Also, any feedback on the Outlaw subs/ What are they like?

drseid
09-18-2005, 02:55 AM
In your Opinion, which of the SVS should I consider, cylinder or box, and would the SV-25-31 meet my needs and be a good replacement for my dead Powerfield? Also, any feedback on the Outlaw subs/ What are they like?

I was also going to recommend SVS at that price point... The cylinder and box subs will both get the job done (I think they have 1 model of each that are in the $500 price range)... it will probably be more a factor of your personal taste for their looks. Some would say the cylinders will give you a bit more bang for the buck... I personally could not deal with the looks... again, taste plays a role.

As for Outlaw... another good choice. The sub is actually designed by Hsu (the other brand I would have recommended) and is another performance leader in that price range.

All of those are excellent values, so you could probably pick any of them and be happy.

---Dave

N. Abstentia
09-18-2005, 06:01 AM
drsied pretty much summed it up. I agree 100% :)

msinderson
09-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the replies on SVS. They certainly seem to have a good rep. I've been going through their site some more and noticed their 10" model for $429 and was wondering if it would be "enough" for our room. I've attached a sketch of the room which is in the basement and has 9ft ceilings. Also, if I could get some input on where the best place to put the sub. The "dotted" box shows where the last one was, is there a better place given the room dimensions and where we sit?

N. Abstentia
09-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Personally I would probably look into at least 12" for that size room. Also putting it in a corner would add some volume, but experimentation is the best method.

RoyY51
09-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents worth...I purchased the Outlaw LFM-1 about 3 months ago, and I am still amazed on a daily basis. Compared to the (admittedly) much smaller and cheaper 299.00 Energy ES-8 that I used for the past 3 years, this sub is incredible! Not only does it reproduce all the subtle details in the lower end on music, but it is a veritable juggernaut with low level info on movies. This unit completely fills my 30x15 listening space with clean, concise, physically enveloping sound. For 570.00, it is one of the best investments that I have ever made.

N_8765309
05-12-2020, 07:10 PM
Hello,
Do you happen to know where I can get a copy of a PowerField 12 Subwoofer manual? I just bought a used one.
Thank you!

JacksonS54
12-18-2020, 01:52 AM
Best size for speakers for is around 16x16 perfect for indoor parties.
<a href="https://www.housecleanersk.ca/">Saskatoon apartment cleaning</a>

jackslesly19
12-23-2020, 05:19 PM
No doubt The information presented is quite useful. By using this I think all can prevent major breakdown. Kudos to this website (https://www.benddetailandceramics.com).. Loking forward for mo topic like this..