Yamaha RXV1500 or Onkyo TX-SR503? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RXV1500 or Onkyo TX-SR503?

Mooch28
09-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Hey guys. Heres the deal. I can get the Yahama for about 100 dollars more, then onkyo listed in the thread title. What i want no is, is it really worth the extra 100 dollars, or would i just be wasting my money.

Now the speakers i will be using are Klipsch refrence series, where the two fronts are RF-3's.

The previous reciever i had was an onkyo TX-DS575X. Great reciever, but i found it always lacked a little in bass in the two front channels. Now having said that, will the Yamaha provide more bass to the the front channels compared to the onkyo. Ive read alot of reviews, and many say the Yamaha is very powerful with it's high current out put. The onkyo is also high current, but i get the impression the Yamaha is more high current.

Also, will the Yamaha be to "bright" for the Klipsch? Finally, is there anything else i should know about these two recievers in terms of issues, problems, etc?

Oh and ofcourse, the reciever is primarliy for movies, but is also used for music. Id say 30-70 - Music/movies percentage wise.

Thanks to all that reply!! :)

GMichael
09-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey guys. Heres the deal. I can get the Yahama for about 100 dollars more, then onkyo listed in the thread title. What i want no is, is it really worth the extra 100 dollars, or would i just be wasting my money.

Now the speakers i will be using are Klipsch refrence series, where the two fronts are RF-3's.

The previous reciever i had was an onkyo TX-DS575X. Great reciever, but i found it always lacked a little in bass in the two front channels. Now having said that, will the Yamaha provide more bass to the the front channels compared to the onkyo. Ive read alot of reviews, and many say the Yamaha is very powerful with it's high current out put. The onkyo is also high current, but i get the impression the Yamaha is more high current.

Also, will the Yamaha be to "bright" for the Klipsch? Finally, is there anything else i should know about these two recievers in terms of issues, problems, etc?

Oh and ofcourse, the reciever is primarliy for movies, but is also used for music. Id say 30-70 - Music/movies percentage wise.

Thanks to all that reply!! :)

No quality issues with the Yamaha, that's for sure. Very low return rate. But the Onkyo is a good unit also. Check out the extras on both. Go listen. Both are great for what you want them for.

Mooch28
09-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Thanks,

Any idea how the Harman Kardon AVR335 compared with the two above?

A few years ago, i was told Harman was going downhill, but apparently seem to be on the rise again. Any truth to this?

GMichael
09-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks,

Any idea how the Harman Kardon AVR335 compared with the two above?

A few years ago, i was told Harman was going downhill, but apparently seem to be on the rise again. Any truth to this?

I can't say for sure. I mostly only know what I have read about them. I listened to one unit at CC. It was 1000 watts total power. Sounded very good. It didn't have as many extras as the Yamahas, Onkyos or Denons. I did "hear" about some QT issues but don't know how true they are.

Mooch28
09-18-2005, 06:04 AM
Any other opinions?

paul_pci
09-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Any other opinions?

Yamaha rules! Unless you're one to obssess over the smallest of nuanced audio differences between similarly classed receivers, let the features and useability and manufacturer reputation guide your decision here. Which receiver (Yamaha) has all the features you desire? Which remote (Yamaha) will you find easiest and most effecient to use? Which receiver (Yamaha) is most customizable? Which company (Yamaha) has the best reputation for dependable products? So on, and so on.

Woochifer
09-18-2005, 03:52 PM
The choice in receiver does not dictate the bass level. Your settings, room acoustics, choice in speakers, and the presence/positioning of a subwoofer all play a role in the amount of bass you hear -- the type of receiver has little, if any, variation if the default settings are identical.

The current and wattage differences between the two models you're interested in won't make any audible difference unless you're pushing concert level volumes or using more demanding speakers.

If you're intereseted in the RX-V1500, right now is a good time to look because Yamaha has discontinued that model. The RX-V1600 is due to arrive in October, so you should find closeout deals now on the 1500.

But, if you're comparing prices, be very careful that you buy from authorized vendors. Yamaha's RX-V models are NOT authorized for mail order sales, period. You buy one of those models online, it's unauthorized and therefore you lose the warranty in the process.