A few HT questions for a newbie [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A few HT questions for a newbie

Hermitian
09-17-2005, 08:22 AM
I have a few questions about HT in general. Keep in mind I am not a huge movie buff, I mostly listen to music, but I am thinking about getting a HT setup in the future.

1. I have two decent mains as is and they are fairly close together because of room constraints. I have watched many movies with just these and I am pleased with how they sound (ie, the dialog doesn't sound like it comes from the side).

Question: Why do I need to spend hundreds of dollars on a center channel to just have slightly more directed dialog. Is this truly worth it? Do centers add more than just sound coming from a more central source?

2. I have also looked at some of the paradigm HT packages. For example:

a) two mains (maybe titans/phantoms)
b) center channel (CC-270 , priced at $279)
c) sub (variable)
d) rears (ADP-170, priced at 450!!)

Why are the rears so dang expensive? They cost more than the mains (titans/pantoms)! Is it just a ploy because I "have to" buy them? Would it just be better to buy a pair of atoms ($170)?I have a few questions about HT in general. Keep in mind I am not a huge movie buff, I mostly listen to music, but I am thinking about getting a HT setup in the future.

1. I have two decent mains as is and they are fairly close together because of room constraints. I have watched many movies with just these and I am pleased with how they sound (i.e., the dialog doesn't sound like it comes from the side).

Question: Why do I need to spend hundreds of dollars on a center channel to just have slightly more directed dialog? Is this truly worth it? Do centers add more than just sound coming from a more central source?

a) Two mains (maybe titans/phantoms)
b) Center channel (CC-270, priced at $279)
c) Sub (variable)
d) Rears (ADP-170, priced at 450!!)

Why are the rears so dang expensive? They cost more than the mains (titans/phantoms)! Is it just a ploy because I "have to" buy them? Would it just be better to buy a pair of atoms ($170)?

You seem like a fairly nice bunch...thanks for addressing some of my questions!

L.J.
09-17-2005, 11:53 AM
I have a few questions about HT in general. Keep in mind I am not a huge movie buff, I mostly listen to music, but I am thinking about getting a HT setup in the future.

1. I have two decent mains as is and they are fairly close together because of room constraints. I have watched many movies with just these and I am pleased with how they sound (ie, the dialog doesn't sound like it comes from the side).

Question: Why do I need to spend hundreds of dollars on a center channel to just have slightly more directed dialog. Is this truly worth it? Do centers add more than just sound coming from a more central source?

a) two mains (maybe titans/phantoms)
b) center channel (CC-270 , priced at $279)
c) sub (variable)
d) rears (ADP-170, priced at 450!!)

Why are the rears so dang expensive? They cost more than the mains (titans/pantoms)! Is it just a ploy because I "have to" buy them? Would it just be better to buy a pair of atoms ($170)?I have a few questions about HT in general. Keep in mind I am not a huge movie buff, I mostly listen to music, but I am thinking about getting a HT setup in the future.

1. I have two decent mains as is and they are fairly close together because of room constraints. I have watched many movies with just these and I am pleased with how they sound (i.e., the dialog doesn't sound like it comes from the side).

Question: Why do I need to spend hundreds of dollars on a center channel to just have slightly more directed dialog? Is this truly worth it? Do centers add more than just sound coming from a more central source?

a) Two mains (maybe titans/phantoms)
b) Center channel (CC-270, priced at $279)
c) Sub (variable)
d) Rears (ADP-170, priced at 450!!)

Why are the rears so dang expensive? They cost more than the mains (titans/phantoms)! Is it just a ploy because I "have to" buy them? Would it just be better to buy a pair of atoms ($170)?

You seem like a fairly nice bunch...thanks for addressing some of my questions!

Although there is no law that states you need to have a center channel, I would suggest you consider one. In a proper 5.1 set, each speaker has a certain job. The center channel is responsible for about 80% of the dialogue.

Here is a link that explains the job of each speaker in a proper 5.1 setup.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-6GEnhow0xMt/learningcenter/home/ht_speakers.html

thekid
09-17-2005, 12:02 PM
I can't speak specifically to the speakers you mention but in general rears ( IMO) do not need to be able to carry the full range that your mains so cost is a consideration. I would not see a problem going with the atoms you mentioned at $170. I think with centers you pay a bit of a premium because they are sized to fit on/below/above the TV. If space is not a consideration and you can place the speaker just below or above the TV you can go with about anything but a floor/tower speaker for your center as long as it is magnetically shielded so it does not cause problems with your video. My only other advise re the center based on your comments is to try them out listening to music. In HT centers mostly deal with dialogue so IMO if you find one that produces good vocals when listening to music it will do fine when listening to movie dialogue. However the reverse may not be true and then you would be stuck. As you are probably aware of it is usually best to stick with the same brand whether it is Paradigm or whom ever you end up going with so that the tone/timbre match. Good luck!