Music that sounds good through 1 speaker? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music that sounds good through 1 speaker?

Jim Clark
09-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Uh, yeah. Hit a little snag with my speaker purchase through Audiogon and only got one. On the plus side, it's a really cool one. The cardboard box was huge and I could barely get it inside the house. Once opened I figured out why it was so heavy - inside was a wooden crate! Guess I've been traveling in the budget section for so long that this came as a shocker. Inside the crate was cut foam. Inside the foam was plastic bags. Inside the plastic bags was a logo'd velvet bag. Inside the bag was a speaker, or in this case a speaker section. Totally cool looking speaker in gorgeous African hazelwood, but of course only one.

So no problem, I punch in the other tracking number and it gives an estimated arrival time of 9-13. Odd that they didn't arrive together but no biggie...cut to 9-17 and DHL has no idea at all where the other speaker is. According to my call to the CSR as far as she can tell they never had it since it has no scans at all, nice. Call to the dealer who brokered the deal and handled the shipping says not to worry, he's got the airbill showing it was picked up and assured me that I will get a set of speakers. He insured them for the full amount and said if they can't cough it up then they'd be buying me a new pair, eventually.

The moral of the story is that trying to save a buck isn't always worth it. Saving a couple grand however is worth a little delay, hopefully.

jc

Slosh
09-17-2005, 08:25 AM
I'd try Interpol, only through no speakers though :p

What did you get?

Davey
09-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Wow, sound like something nice. Von Schweikert? Back in the early mid 90s I was developing a rather unique speaker prototype and spent about a year or so with just one hooked up. Heard some really magical sounds back then. Amazing what was possible with just one speaker. People over at my place sometimes couldn't believe only one speaker was playing. Listened to lots of Adrian Belew (Phone Call from the Moon, Young Lions, etc) and Catherine Wheel (Fripp, etc) and Matthew Sweet (Divine Intervention and everything from Girlfriend) and Pere Ubu (Worlds In Collision) and Television (Shane, she wrote this, 1880 or so, etc) and a bunch of others. Used to have a big list of cool sounding stuff that I'd pull out when people came over. Wish I still had it. Fun times :)

dean_martin
09-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Von Schweikert? :)

velvet bags, African hazlewood...that would be my guess.

Jim Clark
09-17-2005, 12:22 PM
velvet bags, African hazlewood...that would be my guess.

Yep, 'das de 1 a VR 4jr. The Conn. dealer called me back today and this time he got a different story from DHL, this time it was termed "a nationwide delay". That makes some sense but it doesn't really account for all of the other stories we've heard. Now I'm to look for it on Monday and we get a 50% discount on the shipping. Since I'm paying for half of that I'm not going to complain too much more especially if it really does show up.

jc

3-LockBox
09-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Who records in stereo anymore?

One's better'n none.

Just ask Lance Armstrong ;)

ForeverAutumn
09-18-2005, 06:12 AM
Just put an earplug in one ear. :D

skewiff
09-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Everything by Phil Spector, Back to Mono.

Tony