House remodel includes new Amplifier. HELP! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : House remodel includes new Amplifier. HELP!

magno@mac.com
09-17-2005, 07:20 AM
I'm about to remodel my house and have set aside up to 5 grand for a new amplifier setup.
I've been seriously considering one of the Mac integrateds -- either the 6500 or the 6900. These are listing between $3200 and $4500. Before I go dumping this kind of money on one of these systems I'm wondering if there are better/equallly good performing systems out there for less money.
I'm driving Lsi9s and a pair of low-end outdoor speakers, but will probably be adding another pair in a few months.

An adendum: I just discovered Odyssey after posting this thread. It seems I could get into a pair of monoblocks and Tempest Pre-amp for about the same price as the MA6500. The reviews sound great, but am I missing something?

Thanks for any input.

Magno

Mr Peabody
09-17-2005, 08:26 PM
If you are planning to use another amp for the outdoor speakers or power with the same amp, you need to figure out how you are going to do this, that may narrow your options, whether you need dual zone feature in the preamp or switching for more than one pair of speakers on an integrated. You are talking about a decent size expenditure so listen to the amps and try to bring them home if you can for a listen then buy what appeals to your senses. Krell has a killer little integrated at $2,500.00, the kav-400xi. The Musical Fidelity integrateds get good press. There are a few tube integrated options and the Chinese imports come in at great prices and performance for that price. Audio Research has a tube integrated in the $3,500.00 range. The options are many, it just depends on what type of sound you are going for. I'm not familiar with your speakers, so I can't say what you best direction would be.

magno@mac.com
09-28-2005, 06:58 PM
I was seriously contemplating a road trip to DC to test ride a Krell and MF (at your suggestion) and a BelCanto eVoi gen II integrated. But before I did, I went and spent 2 hours with the MA6900 and a pair of B&W 805s with and without a sub. I was not impressed with the B&Ws -- thought my Polks blew em away at 1/3 the price. But what impressed me was how well the MA6900 handled ricidulously dense music (tested with The Avalanches' "since I left you" album) fairly heavy classical (Rachmaninoff Paganini Rhapsody) Jazz (Bill Evans Sundy at the Village Vanguard, replete with crashing china) and solo Piano (Perraiah's Goldberg Variations).
The Mac did everything well and really never seemed to sweat heavy loads. I also liked the EQ feature, which has proven very useful with sub par classical and poorly balanced rock recordings (I've been listening for 6 hours straight:)) -- not to mention that my living room has horrible acoustics I also am very impressed with the build quality and the service for which Mac seems so renowned. Sure, it was $2000 more than the Krell or MF and $1500 more than the MA6500, but the overall package seemed spot on. So, as you might have guessed, I never went to D.C.. :D

Thanks for the input.

46minaudio
09-29-2005, 05:51 AM
I'm about to remodel my house and have set aside up to 5 grand for a new amplifier setup.
I've been seriously considering one of the Mac integrateds -- either the 6500 or the 6900. These are listing between $3200 and $4500. Before I go dumping this kind of money on one of these systems I'm wondering if there are better/equallly good performing systems out there for less money.
I'm driving Lsi9s and a pair of low-end outdoor speakers, but will probably be adding another pair in a few months.

An adendum: I just discovered Odyssey after posting this thread. It seems I could get into a pair of monoblocks and Tempest Pre-amp for about the same price as the MA6500. The reviews sound great, but am I missing something?

Thanks for any input.

Magno
Here is a good one..If you dont mind spending less.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-749&raid=25&rak=248-749

Mr Peabody
09-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Congradulations on your new Mac! I have seen that piece but not heard it. I was shocked to see an EQ on a piece that expensive where most don't offer any tone control at all. It sounds like you found it works well?

magno@mac.com
10-03-2005, 12:56 PM
....I have an acoustically challenged room and speaker placement constraints. I also have a cd collection full of some very poor-quality recordings. The EQ has helped to overcome the deficiencies of my room and helped free up some rather congested recordings. Audiophiles might sneer at an EQ, but I frankly can find no good reason not to "clean up" a poor recording if at all possible.