Ex-Monkey Tamer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Monkey Tamer?

Davey
09-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Got home today and found a package in the mailbox from the Sloshmixer, master of the one off toss off. Goes well with a local pilsner. Bonus points for all the off shore content on this one with the Super Furry Welsh Animals and the Liverpoolian Shack and Bloc Party of Essex and ... er...well, I guess that's all. Cool mix, so far. That new Fruit Bats does sound very nice. The opening Death Cab gets off to a rather uneventful start, but lots of weird stuff happens after that! Thanks ... ;)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/exmonkeytamer.jpg

Slosh
09-17-2005, 04:39 AM
Hey, how'd you get WMP to display CD-Text? I have WMP10 and googled a CD-Text plug in but it didn't work. Linky?

Doesn't that Death Cab song sound like something off of 90125 or is it just me? Pretty crappy recording though. I thought it sounded okay at first but that's only because Swishster hooked me up with that album before it was officially released but the source was obviously a low bit rate mp3 and in comparison the CD sounds worlds better. Maybe I should have waited for the LP after all :(

Davey
09-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Hey, how'd you get WMP to display CD-Text? I have WMP10 and googled a CD-Text plug in but it didn't work. Linky?
Which one didn't work? I use this one (http://cdtext.galleytech.com/) and it works for me. It comes in two parts, the CD-Text manager and the CD-Text player. Kind of odd but it's kind of fun too because the data is so useable. It's not really a plug-in because you have to export the data to WMP. But I'm kind of a pushover for cute little pieces of free software like this :)

EDIT: But all you need to download is the manager if you just wanna display or export the text. You just open the manager and click export and I then select only WMP from the manual menu but you can export it to anything on your computer that uses imports too. Then just start up WMP and it'll have the text for that disc. Don't think it'll work while WMP is running but play with it and report back :cool:

Doesn't that Death Cab song sound like something off of 90125 or is it just me? Pretty crappy recording though. I thought it sounded okay at first but that's only because Swishster hooked me up with that album before it was officially released but the source was obviously a low bit rate mp3 and in comparison the CD sounds worlds better. Maybe I should have waited for the LP after all :(
They actually sound a bit like Pinback/Amanset on that song to me because of that chiming sound, but it doesn't have much staying power. I mean, it was nice and not bad at all, but it's one of those songs that doesn't draw me back. No quirky counter melodies, no memorable lyrics (actually not very good lyrics in this case), no surprise chorus nor even a big finish, not any of that. Seems really smoothed over, especialy in juxtaposition to some of the dramatic and intriguing sounds that immediately follow. But still not bad. Hopefuly the whole album isn't that bland ;)

Got this cool one from a few months ago in the spinner now and as others have said, it's definitely one of your better jobs, which means it's damned good! Well, you know, except for the opener ;)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/midsummerset.jpg

Slosh
09-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Which one didn't work? I use this one (http://cdtext.galleytech.com/) and it works for me. It comes in two parts, the CD-Text manager and the CD-Text player. Kind of odd but it's kind of fun too because the data is so useable. It's not really a plug-in because you have to export the data to WMP. But I'm kind of a pushover for cute little pieces of free software like this :) That's the one that google turned up but it's pretty much the same as HACP but with cddb instead of freedb. I saw that export option. I was hoping for something that would display the text without having to export.
They (DCfC) actually sound a bit like Pinback/Amanset on that song to me because of that chiming sound, but it doesn't have much staying power. I mean, it was nice and not bad at all, but it's one of those songs that doesn't draw me back. No quirky counter melodies, no memorable lyrics (actually not very good lyrics in this case), no surprise chorus nor even a big finish, not any of that. Seems really smoothed over, especialy in juxtaposition to some of the dramatic and intriguing sounds that immediately follow. But still not bad. Hopefuly the whole album isn't that bland ;)Sometimes simple things please simple minds, I reckon :)

-Jar-
09-17-2005, 07:05 PM
They actually sound a bit like Pinback/Amanset on that song to me because of that chiming sound, but it doesn't have much staying power.

yea, I thought that song sounded kinda Pinbacky too. Though I like it better than anything I've heard by Pinback. Go figure.

However, I wish DCFC would develop a sound. Seems to me to the only real solid thread throughout their work is the singer. If it wasn't for the singer, I wouldn't know who the hell I was listening to most of the time.

But hey Slosh, thanx for the comp (again I owe you a couple now).. lots of good stuff.

-jar

Slosh
09-18-2005, 04:12 AM
But hey Slosh, thanx for the comp (again I owe you a couple now).. lots of good stuff.You know I don't think in those terms. Just though there might be a thing or two you might like to hear, but of course it would be pretty stupid of me to turn down free music. :)

Slosh
09-18-2005, 04:22 AM
Got this cool one from a few months ago in the spinner now and as others have said, it's definitely one of your better jobs, which means it's damned good! Well, you know, except for the opener ;)It's meant to be played back in reverse track order. Whole different comp then ;)

I knew that many people would hate that song. Too jammy or whatever. I don't care though. Gotta please me first.

NP:Calexico/Iron & Wine - In The Reins (get this yet?)

Davey
09-18-2005, 08:27 AM
NP:Calexico/Iron & Wine - In The Reins (get this yet?)
No, not yet. I'm all talk, little action. Haven't got anything in almost a month except for your new Compus Maximus. But it's given me the chance to better know some of the ones needing more attention. Like this Micah Hinson. Been one of those years where I tend to binge on a certain select few albums, and come back over and over. Probably be a very strong top 5 for me this year, although I imagine it'll also be highly personal because they've all gotten to me in ways that are hard to convey in a casual sense.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/wishlist.htm#Recent_Acquisitions

Mike
09-19-2005, 04:08 AM
Hey that's clever thanks for the complete tracklist.

Some I knew instantly, others I knew but just couldn't place. Anyway that's a nice little comp you put together Sloshy. Don't listen to them I love all that AAS/Pinback/DCFC simplistic sound what is there not to like about it. I put something in the post yesterday for you by way of thanks (hopefully at least a couple of new sounds for you) which of course I know wasn't expected but it's free and nobody turns down free music.

But thanks especially for the Son Volt track I didn't realise they had a new release out and from what I hear it's a goodie, sounds like Tweedy found his electric guitar again. I've just ordered it now so it should arrive this week.

Cheers and thanks again
Mike

Mr MidFi
09-19-2005, 06:56 AM
Hey, Slosh...I finally got around to listening to this one and I'm liking it. The Fruit Bats track was an especially pleasant surprise! Many thanks, as usual.

Note to Mike: It's Jay Ferrar in Son Volt. Tweedy's in Wilco.

Mike
09-19-2005, 07:26 AM
Note to Mike: It's Jay Ferrar in Son Volt. Tweedy's in Wilco.

Ah yes of course yer right, got a bit confused there...

Cheers
Mike