How do you know when it'll be a "grower"? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when it'll be a "grower"?

Davey
09-16-2005, 07:03 AM
I recently mentioned in a post here that sometimes I don't give "freebies" enough of a chance to gain my affection. Not always, and not even consciously, but I know that I do this. When I buy something I'm much more likely to give it more listens. Nothing unusual with that, except there are exceptions of course. Some of my recent favorites came to me as free demos and turned out to be real growers, not especially memorable on the first couple listens, but still with some unique quality that drew me back. But how many discs sit stagnant in the piles or racks that just might be one listen away from that same realization? Who knows.

Funny thing, I haven't been reading many music reviews lately so havent been checking into many of my old haunts, but I did make some of the rounds yesterday because I wanted to read what people were saying about the new Elbow album since I haven't seen any talk of it on the couple boards I frequent, and there was a review of it a couple days ago at Stylus that rang very true with the reviewer talking about this very thing. Especially when he says, "..., and sure enough after half a dozen listens I couldn't explain to you why I didn't used to love all of these songs." I remember that first Elbow was quite a grower too, with something soulful that kept drawing me back for more. But it also had some real standout songs so it's not as good an example as possibly the new one. Anyway, curious to hear some of your thoughts on the grower "problem". How long do wait for the magic to come out? Can you tell right away when an album just isn't gonna work for you? And what do you think of Elbow? I didn't buy the last one, but sure like that first one. Been thinking seriously of picking this new one up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As with the excellent Cast Of Thousands album, Leaders Of The Free World feels disjointed at first, almost ramshackle. If anything, it's more initially disappointing, with only "Station Approach" and "Leaders Of The Free World" really grabbing me the first time. I confess to having an affection for "growers" that dates back to my teen years, but the basic reason for that affection remains: When you trust music to repay your devotion and it does, it can feel better than a thousand instant thrills. It was the feeling running through Leaders Of The Free World that kept me listening for more, and sure enough after half a dozen listens I couldn't explain to you why I didn't used to love all of these songs. Like most of the albums I've really loved in the past decade or so, it's the way this music so precisely and so ineffably articulates my emotions that make me want to keep listening.

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/review.php?ID=3363

Slosh
09-16-2005, 09:13 AM
I heard the new Elbow and Dandy Warhols singles on Sirius 26 earlier today (Dish Network carries some of the Sirius channels), both sounded okay to me.

How do you know if an album will be a grower? You don't. Duh! :p

Davey
09-16-2005, 09:46 AM
How do you know when it'll be a "grower"?
You don't. Duh!
But sometimes I do. I can feel it. There's just something intangible that I know will blossom with enough exposure. But yeah, duh, other times I'm clueless. Thanks for your compendious reply. Are you bandwidth restricted or just a man of few words? ;)

Slosh
09-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Are you bandwidth restricted or just a man of few words? ;)I'm a man (ehem) with obligations and had to hurry out the door. Oh, and probably the less I say the better ;)

Usually when I get a new CD and it fails to grab me after a couple of spins I'll surround it with four other CDs and set my player on random play mode. That almost always does the trick if it's music worth getting to know in the first place. Oh, and I tend to pay more attention to new LP purchases because you kinda have to by virture of the medium itself (especially when making a CD-R copy for the car). Buy your music on vinyl more often!

NP:Calexico/Iron & Wine - In The Reins (tentoze music for sure :) )

tentoze
09-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Has Sam Beam learned how to breathe yet?

Davey
09-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Has Sam Beam learned how to breathe yet?
He really likes to layer on the vocal overdubs too, but I think Joey from Calexico does the singing on this, right Sloshy? Sam Beam wrote the songs. But that's what I read. Gotta get me a copy of that one.

tentoze
09-16-2005, 02:14 PM
He really likes to layer on the vocal overdubs too, but I think Joey from Calexico does the singing on this, right Sloshy? Sam Beam wrote the songs. But that's what I read. Gotta get me a copy of that one.
Different than what I read. From Pitchfork review:

"Beam is the principle songwriter and vocalist on the album..."

I mean, c'mon Davey, if Sam doesn't sing (and gasp for air at every verse), what is he gonna do?

Davey
09-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Different than what I read. From Pitchfork review:

"Beam is the principle songwriter and vocalist on the album..."

I mean, c'mon Davey, if Sam doesn't sing (and gasp for air at every verse), what is he gonna do?
Hehehe, thanks guys. Yeah, I hadn't read any reviews yet but the description I read awhile back at amazon left me thinking it was Joey doing all the vocals - just misinterpreted what they meant...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Three years ago, Iron And Wine's Sam Beam entertained the idea of recording with Calexico founding members Joey Burns and John Convertino as the backing band for what would have become his debut record. Due to unavoidable situations, that recording didn't happen. Finally, after much acclaim for both bands, recording for "In The Reins" took place in December of 2004. It's a collaborative affair that features seven Sam originals with the backing of the full Calexico band and vocals by Joey Burns. A truly harmonious affair with equal parts Iron and Wine and Calexico to satisfy fans of either or both. These tracks offer something new and exciting beyond what the listener has come to expect from either act.

Slosh
09-16-2005, 02:24 PM
He really likes to layer on the vocal overdubs too, but I think Joey from Calexico does the singing on this, right Sloshy?<s>No, they both sing lead and it's pretty easy to tell who sings what.</s> Strike that, Joey is definitely the featured vocalist but Sam has parts on his own. They sound pretty good together with the harmonies as well.
Sam Beam wrote the songs. Yep.
Gotta get me a copy of that one.Yep! :)
Has Sam Beam learned how to breathe yet?Neither of these guys have a powerful set of pipes but damn they sound good anyway. Wish they made a proper full length album though. Seven songs this nice just aren't enough!

tentoze
09-16-2005, 02:45 PM
I reckon the only sure way to figger this out is to go buy the damned thing.

Davey
09-16-2005, 02:45 PM
I reckon the only sure way to figger this out is to go buy the damned thing.
Yeah, I think you're right. I was gonna say, no, we can trust our good buddy Slosh to feed us the truth, but now I'm not even sure he's heard the damned thing. Talk about wishy-washy!

Hehehe, ya ever get the feeling that maybe the three of us is all that's left around here? You're never alone with a schizophrenic, eh?

tentoze
09-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I think you're right. I was gonna say, no, we can trust our good buddy Slosh to feed us the truth, but now I'm not even sure he's heard the damned thing. Talk about wishy-washy!

Hehehe, ya ever get the feeling that maybe the three of us is all that's left around here? You're never alone with a schizophrenic, eh?
That would be six of us.............a damn crowd. I think I'll have a music argument with myself.

Dusty Chalk
09-18-2005, 06:52 PM
I don't. I just get lucky if an album happens to be a grower, and I happen to listen to it enough times for it to grow on me. That's what happened with the first Matt Elliott disk.

Mike
09-19-2005, 03:51 AM
The album needs at least one good track to reel me in, maybe something I'll add to a comp and then I'll come back to the album later But I'm sure I've missed out on tons of stuff by dismissing an album at first pass.

Time is precious in our house and unfortunately too much music comes my way sometimes I have to make a snap decision there and then. One thing I'm sure of though is a review alone will never convince me, I've had my fingers burnt too many times in the past.

As for Elbow yer right they don't get much mention round here, they just get better and better IMO, kind of like a laid back SFA/Doves to those who don't know them. I really liked the last album which I'm not sure if it even got a release stateside but this new one is an instant so far with me, you should go for it. I think you nailed when you said 'soulful' there's something in the quality of the voice of Guy Garvey that draws you in.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
09-19-2005, 06:37 AM
As for Elbow yer right they don't get much mention round here, they just get better and better IMO, kind of like a laid back SFA/Doves to those who don't know them. I really liked the last album which I'm not sure if it even got a release stateside but this new one is an instant so far with me, you should go for it. I think you nailed when you said 'soulful' there's something in the quality of the voice of Guy Garvey that draws you in.
The last one did get a release here about 6 months late, and I even still have it on my wishlist, but guess I just let it slip by. They're probably my favorite band in that atmospheric and emotionally charged britpop field now, much more depth than the likes of Coldplay and Doves and the rest. The songs have a lived in feel that neither of those bands comes close to, especially Coldplay with Martin's often embarrassingly banal lyrics. And the music is so much more inventive and interesting with all the jazz and electronica elements seamlessly blended in. But I digress ;), the new British Sea Power has gotten under my skin pretty big lately too, and has a lot of that same off kilter but melodic substance that I get from that first Elbow album. "Like A Honeycomb" reverberating in my house and head while I'm typing this. Yan has kind of a unique voice that works great on some songs, especially the Pere Ubu-like quirky rockers, and not so great on the ballads where it can get a bit too wispy, but Garvey tounces him in this area with that Peter Gabriel-sounding voice, at least sometimes, not always. Like them both a lot. New one comes out next week here in the US and definitely on my wanna buy list. Probably a shoe-in for my year end faves.

Mike
09-19-2005, 07:41 AM
New one comes out next week here in the US and definitely on my wanna buy list. Probably a shoe-in for my year end faves.

Coming to a mailbox near you soon and I'll chuck in the last release too.

I've got plenty I owe you for in the past I've been playing that Spoon comp you sent a while ago a lot recently - great stuff.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
09-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Coming to a mailbox near you soon and I'll chuck in the last release too.

I've got plenty I owe you for in the past I've been playing that Spoon comp you sent a while ago a lot recently - great stuff.

Cheers
Mike
Wow Mike! You're just too cool and too kind. Thanks. Be happy to reciprocate if you think of something you'd like to test drive that I have on hand :D