O/T Ipods & Mp3 Players What Are You Paying More For [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : O/T Ipods & Mp3 Players What Are You Paying More For

EdwardGein
09-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Based on this board, I did some research and got a Creative Labs Zen Nano Plus 512 MP3 player that I'm very happy with for around $100 new on sale. For $120 I could have gotten a 1 gig player. I think the sound on this is great, its super small & light & very easy to download.
What I'm curious about is why is Apple via its Ipods and other brands selling similar mp3 players at a price almost double these. Are you getting better sound or are you basically paying premium for the brand name? Would appreciate any clarification on this.

There also was an article in a major newspaper/magazine (forgot the name) I read this week about ear buds, especially the ones that block out outside noise, causing major ear damage.
I found them so uncomfortable, that I wound up with Koss Portapro headphones, a superlight
over the ears headphone that sounds very good & is extremely comfortable & doesn't fall off when jogging, etc., for around $40 online. I'd recommend those for mp3 players.

noddin0ff
09-16-2005, 06:05 AM
Flexibility w/ music formats, well designed user interface, compatibility with iTunes and iTunes store, and STYLE.

paul_pci
09-16-2005, 07:07 AM
As you know, I have an iPod, and while I sometimes regret dropping $300 on it, I wouldn't choose anything else for a couple of reasons. First I admit to brank loyalty, but not in an arbitrary way. I've owned Apple computers since the Apple IIc and have never been burned by Apple. Secondly, the iPod's interface with the software iTunes (to manage, store, organize, and transfer music to the iPod) could not be easier or better in any significant way. For that I dropped $300. Also, unlike your player, and something you may not care about, I have address contacts from my laptop, calendar events, text files, and games.

BillB
09-19-2005, 04:21 PM
I went with a 30G Dell DJ because it offered more for the $$ at the time than a comparable iPOD. I haven't downloaded any MP3s, just ripped my 600+ CD collection to my 250G external HD at 192kbps in WMA and transfered them to the player. It's great for plane trips and long road trips.

I purchased a dock for use with my Tivoli Model One at work and a pair of Shure E3 earbuds. I found the size earpiece that fit my ear and feel they're very comfortable and sound good...almost too good for MP3s.

Bill

JSE
09-20-2005, 07:10 AM
Why iPod?

1. Ease of use. Extremely simple and fast.
2. TONS of add-ons. Have you seen the iTunes accessory areas at stores?
3. Style/Status
4. iTunes! Again, extremely easy to use and tons of music
5. The fact that Apple will rule the world within the next decade.
6. My new screen name is now, iJSE.

topspeed
09-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Not much more to add beyond what's already been said. I will say that in my admittedly brief comparisons with MP3 and Apple's compression format (can't remember what it's called), Apple's sounded markedly better. MP3's always sound like the music is under water to me. That, combined with the ease of iTunes and truckload of accessories, made the decision easy.

anamorphic96
09-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Not much more to add beyond what's already been said. I will say that in my admittedly brief comparisons with MP3 and Apple's compression format (can't remember what it's called), Apple's sounded markedly better. MP3's always sound like the music is under water to me. That, combined with the ease of iTunes and truckload of accessories, made the decision easy.

I have noticed this as well. AAC at 320 kbs is DAMN good. Apple Lossless is very impressive as well. But I have settled on 320 kbs AAC for space reasons.

recoveryone
09-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Portability not being a issue for me , I just picked up a Netgear MP101 off ebay for under $50. it plays all your Mp3 and WAV format music off your computer over wireless or hard wire. this unit connects to your home system or you can use headphones or portable speakers system

bubbagump
09-25-2005, 07:47 AM
Apple and Sony for example have been long known to charge premium prices for many of their products. People (myself included) are often willing to pay more for a product that is well designed, put together, pleasing to the eye and that contains quality materials. The new iPod nano contains about 90 dollars in materials plus whatever Apple's r&d and overhead is. It would be safe to say that Apple has a 30-40 percent margin with this product - significantly higher than competing products although in fairness to Apple, there are no directly competing solid state daps with the nano's capacity. Bottom line is that brand loyalty and a perception that certain brands are 'better' (real or not), is often the reason for the price spreads.

bacchanal
09-27-2005, 07:43 AM
What's so great about iTunes? I'd prefer to have a player that didn't require proprietary software. The creative players offer drag and drop functionality and require no special drivers or software. Maybe iTunes has improved since I last used it, but it kind of gave me the impression of bloat-ware

HAVIC
09-27-2005, 04:59 PM
What's so great about iTunes? I'd prefer to have a player that didn't require proprietary software. The creative players offer drag and drop functionality and require no special drivers or software. Maybe iTunes has improved since I last used it, but it kind of gave me the impression of bloat-ware

i agree completly, my mp3 player an Iriver is plug and play. I plug it into my computer and drag files in the player. How is that easier than opening the package installing itunes, then upgrading to the newest itunes, then cataloging my mp3 before I transfer them.

the iriver is at the same price point as ipod and has offered a color screen years before them, fm radio, you can rip from radio right to mp3 and has more codec support than apple.

If you ask me people are suckers for mass marketing. The Ipod has its share of problems and rude customer service, as seen on shame on you and other tv reports. I have also had many friends who switched because of apple frustrations.

People in general are lazy and do not research what they buy they let commercials and marketing drive their decisions.

I still think that the Ipod is a good player, don't get me wrong but there are many equally or better alternatives than what is shoved down my throught.

In the computer industry I see great companies fall to mass marketing garbage, for example CISCO.

I guess it will never change, but had to rant.

Greg

bubbagump
09-28-2005, 04:19 AM
I use a Rio Carbon but also have an iPod. The Carbon is stable, well designed and more importantly, no software is required. I bounce between my mac and pc. The Rio shows up as an external hard drive on both. The Rio has bookmarking, is after a year of use still gets 14+ hours of playback and has proven to be extremely durable. When I occasionally use my iPod, it and iTunes feel bloated slow and unstable. The iPod's battery went from about 8 hours of play back to about two hours in less than a year. Navigating through the menu is slow and glitchy feeling. To add insult to injury, the iPod was about twice the price of the carbon. Come to think of it, iPods suck.

HAVIC
09-28-2005, 04:57 PM
The Ipod has its share of problems

case and point

Jobs' Apple Confronts IPod Trouble--Again

http://www.forbes.com/2005/09/28/apple-ipod-nano-cx_gl_0928autofacescan06.html