I paid $18 for this piece of crap?!?! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I paid $18 for this piece of crap?!?!

Davey
09-14-2005, 06:50 AM
What's the last piece of crap album you bought? Doesn't have to be $18, but it did have to cost you something. No whining about a freebie! Extra points for naming names if the purchase was spurred by a rave wrecker recommendation ;)

Kaboom
09-14-2005, 07:14 AM
mmmmm lets see...
michael jackson's Blood on the Dance floor. What UTTER TRASH
Placebo's Without you I'm nothing. I bought based on a song and the awesome album title. Recommended by a friend. UTTER TRASH
Heroes del Silencio. Grandes Exitos. a "greatest hits" compilation of a mythical spanish bad. This made me remember why i tend to stay off "greatest hits" compilations. UTTER TRASH.
I guess i could cite several CDs i bought when i was younger and stupider and i thought Aqua was the height of cool, but then again i was pretty pleased at the time.
cheers!

ForeverAutumn
09-14-2005, 07:38 AM
The Mars Volta, Frances the Mute as recommended by Dusty Chalk.

While the CD does have a few great moments, I had a real hard time getting through the whole disk. It only cost me $9.99 so I wasn't out too much money. But it still cost me $9.97 too much.

Okay, I have to be fair. It wasn't only Dusty's recommendation that drew me to this CD. I did enjoy their first disk quite a bit. Too bad this one just didn't live up to the same standard for me.

Hehehe. I even tried to give it away and the person that I offered it to came back to me with a resounding NO THANK YOU!!! :D

tentoze
09-14-2005, 08:28 AM
- Whatever the name of the most recent Daniel Lanois release, it should be called Elevator Music For The New Millenium. It wasn't horrible or anything, but if I want to hear shopping music, I can go to the mall for free.

-Cass McCombs/PREfection- sappy, nutless pop-pap.

BillB
09-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Modest Mouse - "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" spurred on by this board I bought it...hasn't gotten more than three spins...maybe four.

I've also been slightly disappointed in:

Bloc Party - "Silent Alarm"
Shout Out Louds - "Howl Howl Gaff Gaff"
The Redwalls - "De Nova"

They're not too bad but not as good as I'd expected.

Bill

N. Abstentia
09-14-2005, 09:47 AM
The last piece of crap I bought was the DVD-Audio version of Bruce Dickinson's Balls To Picasso. Now don't get me wrong..the music is GREAT (I've had the CD for years after all). What's crap is the MIX. It sounds like it was literally mixed by a deaf person. Seriously. I've never heard worse I don't think.

-Jar-
09-14-2005, 10:16 AM
- Whatever the name of the most recent Daniel Lanois release, it should be called Elevator Music For The New Millenium. It wasn't horrible or anything, but if I want to hear shopping music, I can go to the mall for free.

-Cass McCombs/PREfection- sappy, nutless pop-pap.

Speaking of shopping music, I heard Pinback playing in my local supermarket.. that was kind of weird. I've found I don't like them as much as Davey and Slosh and some others around here, but it doesn't have anything to do with the supermarket incident, as odd as that was. I dunno, can't like 'em all.

I can't say I've bought a bad album recently, I mean, there's really pretty much always a way to hear some samples of something you want to buy..

-jar

BarryL
09-14-2005, 11:24 AM
The Mars Volta, Frances the Mute as recommended by Dusty Chalk.

I even tried to give it away and the person that I offered it to came back to me with a resounding NO THANK YOU!!! :D

I've been listening to this on rotation for at least the last five days, and I've come to really admire it, although I think they could have done a better job constructing the songs with less useless noise extending them out to seven or eight minutes.

They are easily the new Radiohead, and are an intesting modern cross of, IMO, Led Zeppelin, Queen, and Radiohead. This album is modern rock music, not mainstream rock that passes easily as Easy Listening. Mars Volta, on this ablum, crunches like I haven't heard in a long time.

I haven't heard their previous album yet, so I can't compare. Based on your comments, perhaps I'll enjoy that one even more.

Cleary Mars Volta isn't for everyone, It's extreme alternative, but it is blistering modern rock. If you like heavy metal and Radiohead, then this may be what you're looking for.

On the other hand, when it came to deciding whether I would put any of these songs on my iPod, I decided against it.

Slosh
09-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Party of Helicopters - Please Believe

Oh, thanks Dave! :p

Funny, at first I thought I would like it but it never did grow on me. Yeah, and the spindle hole is off center which didn't help any. I think I only paid about $7.00 for that LP so it only hurt a little.

audiobill
09-14-2005, 12:50 PM
I've been listening to this on rotation for at least the last five days, and I've come to really admire it, although I think they could have done a better job constructing the songs with less useless noise extending them out to seven or eight minutes.

They are easily the new Radiohead, and are an intesting modern cross of, IMO, Led Zeppelin, Queen, and Radiohead. This album is modern rock music, not mainstream rock that passes easily as Easy Listening. Mars Volta, on this ablum, crunches like I haven't heard in a long time.

Agreed. Dare I stretch the RIYL and say the new Pink Floyd -- in the sense, that Pink Floyd was new & fresh to most people's ears when it first emerged on the music scene.

Have to say.......... The Mars Volta has tons of rewards for the listener. That's not to say that to many people's ears it's "crappola". I really really like it, nonetheless.

MindGoneHaywire
09-14-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm sure there's been at least one or two since, but the first thing that comes to mind is Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque. That rec was a death knell for what had become known as 'alternative music' by that time for me. I know a lot of people will disagree with that, but I have never wavered from the view that it's a lousy rec. However, I doubt it's still collecting dust at the used shop I brought it to some years ago.

Mr MidFi
09-14-2005, 12:57 PM
I can't say I've bought a bad album recently, I mean, there's really pretty much always a way to hear some samples of something you want to buy..

-jar

Same here. Been a very long time for me. I guess I was less enchanted than I thought I would be with that recent Bright Eyes angst-a-thon...but I got that as a freebie from the library.

I guess I just don't buy discs unless I know I'm going to like them.

Davey
09-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Party of Helicopters - Please Believe

Oh, thanks Dave! :p

Funny, at first I thought I would like it but it never did grow on me. Yeah, and the spindle hole is off center which didn't help any. I think I only paid about $7.00 for that LP so it only hurt a little.
Yeah, I didn't really like that one much myself so I don't know if if I can be blamed for recommending it. I can be blamed for mentioning that I'd read a good review of it ... but that's not really the same thing now is it? ;)

But yeah, sorry. Although I already apologized at least once before ... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF9E2BD.php

Slosh
09-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I didn't really like that one much myself so I don't know if if I can be blamed for recommending it.Okay, then I blame Jesus.

3-LockBox
09-14-2005, 06:56 PM
<b>The Vines</b> <i>Winning Days</i> no, it wasn't a Rave rec (at least I don't remember if it was) This is a prime example of cookie cutter 'indie rock'. Boring.

<b>IQ</b> <i>Subterranea</i> While this one doesn't qualify as a piece of crap, its definately on the trading block.

<b>ZZ Top</b> <i>Mescallero</i> These have really had it. Upon first listen, some of the songs are kinda catchy, but with even the slightest scrutiny, it falls apart, what with drum loops, simplistic song structures and those stupid lyrics. And this was touted in some magazine (can't remember) as a return to their '70s blues roots...not even.

-Jar-
09-14-2005, 07:07 PM
I'm sure there's been at least one or two since, but the first thing that comes to mind is Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque. That rec was a death knell for what had become known as 'alternative music' by that time for me. I know a lot of people will disagree with that, but I have never wavered from the view that it's a lousy rec. However, I doubt it's still collecting dust at the used shop I brought it to some years ago.

I think it was Spin that picked that as album of the year instead of NEVERMIND. I still listen to that album on occasion. I still enjoy Teenage Fanclub's music, though it's so obvious now that they were big Big Star fans.. Nothing very challenging about them, I guess.

-jar

Dusty Chalk
09-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey, FA, sorry you didn't like it, but to my ears, they sound pretty similar.

Me: Giant Drag. Yeah, pretty much.

Mike
09-15-2005, 12:16 AM
I've also been slightly disappointed in: Bloc Party - "Silent Alarm"

They're not too bad but not as good as I'd expected.
Bill

Oh no Bill can't believe you don't care too much for Bloc Party it's easily in my top 5 five for the year.

Oh well hopefully you'll find something you like in your bumper pack heading your way soon.

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
09-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Hey, FA, sorry you didn't like it, but to my ears, they sound pretty similar.

Me: Giant Drag. Yeah, pretty much.

No sweat Dusty. For me, the fun thing about buying music before I've heard it is finding out whether I've just purchased a diamond or a big chunk of coal. :D

I wasn't blaming you. Just trying to score some of those bonus points. Hey, what do those points get me anyway? :confused:

BarryL
09-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Agreed. Dare I stretch the RIYL and say the new Pink Floyd -- in the sense, that Pink Floyd was new & fresh to most people's ears when it first emerged on the music scene.

Have to say.......... The Mars Volta has tons of rewards for the listener. That's not to say that to many people's ears it's "crappola". I really really like it, nonetheless.

I thought Mercury Rev was the new Pink Floyd. At least that's what they said about their Deserter's Song CD. I think that's a better comparison to a new PF than Mars Volta. I would say that Mars Volta is the new Led Zeppelin.

audiobill
09-15-2005, 06:45 AM
I thought Mercury Rev was the new Pink Floyd. At least that's what they said about their Deserter's Song CD. I think that's a better comparison to a new PF than Mars Volta. I would say that Mars Volta is the new Led Zeppelin.

Cool. More of a "Physical Graffitti" Zeppelin??