OK, Paul Rogers with Queen, so what? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OK, Paul Rogers with Queen, so what?

Mr Peabody
09-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Wow, I've not seen such excitement and hype about an album since.... I don't remember, as our local AOR and Classic rock station are making over this Queen live album with Paul Rogers. I don't get it, am I supposed to be excited about them getting together and doing songs I am mostly burned out on anyway? There's nothing new. Sure, I respect these guys and have almost every Bad Co. album, The Firm and even the Law, so I know Paul Rogers and I have all the Queen I want but I don't understand the enthusiasm. Especially when I'm able to find great albums that I haven't even heard on the radio. Could this be a Payola push or did I miss the point? I have heard several tracks played off this album already and they do a great job of doing the old songs, I guess this may be a way of some one who is just getting into Queen to get a hits package BUT why not just buy the original?

MindGoneHaywire
09-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Wow, I've not seen such excitement and hype about an album since.... I don't remember, as our local AOR and Classic rock station are making over this Queen live album with Paul Rogers. I don't get it, am I supposed to be excited about them getting together and doing songs I am mostly burned out on anyway? There's nothing new. Sure, I respect these guys and have almost every Bad Co. album, The Firm and even the Law, so I know Paul Rogers and I have all the Queen I want but I don't understand the enthusiasm. Especially when I'm able to find great albums that I haven't even heard on the radio. Could this be a Payola push or did I miss the point? I have heard several tracks played off this album already and they do a great job of doing the old songs, I guess this may be a way of some one who is just getting into Queen to get a hits package BUT why not just buy the original?

Because rock stars have to be creative in finding new ways to continue making a living. A significant percentage of the music, which fans view as art & the keys to memories of their childhoods & adolescences, are also in no small part these guys' jobs. Now, even though I'm cynical enough to not give a damn about a Queen reunion with anyone replacing Freddie Mercury, I'm not suggesting that they're just in it for a buck, that they don't actually care about the music. I believe that they do. But whether or not anyone wants to be honest about it, it's their job. And that goes for the Rolling Stones & Celine Dion just as it once even did for the Clash & Minor Threat. It's great when yr job can be creating music that you & yr fans love. But it's still a job. Period.