Declaring War on Samsung Any Suggestions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Declaring War on Samsung Any Suggestions?

EdwardGein
09-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Let this be a warning for anyone shopping for HD TV's. I am formally declaring war on Samsung & would welcome any suggestions as to who I should approach in a letter to the company to try to exchange my Samsung 30" HDTV, about a year old, for another Samsung HDTV, in regards to applying credit for another model of theirs.

Specifically what happened, and I'm partially responsible because I didn't know any better to ask and apparently they do not publicize this fact, at least for their Samsung TX-P3064W model, you can not resize the picture for a DVD player set on progressive scan and connected by component cables to the Samsung TV. If you have the DVD player set on "interlaced" you can resize the DVD picture but not on "progressive scan" with the Samsung. They do not tell you this nor did it occur to me to ask. In other words, it will play progressive scan but not allow you to resize it.

The only way this escaped my attention was I apparently must have left this set on interlaced inadvertently before I set it to progressive yesterday. There is no mention of this problem in their instructions. I should note that this TV is my second TV for my bedroom and I can watch progressive scan DVD's & resize the picture on my main TV in the living room.

The TV itself is very good and I have no problems with it. I called Samsung up and their customer service representatives while nice were not the most knowledgable people in the world and the woman I talked to after she called another technician there for consultation stated that the component cables were causing conflict with their TV just for the resizing function only when the player is set on progressive scan, like no big deal. She also gave the impression this would happen to all Samsung HD models, which I think she doesn't know what she is talking about.

Anyway, anyone have any advice on how to get Samsung to exchange this for credit on another of their HD TV's, assuming this wouldn't happen on all their sets. Any help appreciated.

evil__betty
09-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Let me get this strait.....

You want Samsung to take back a perfectly fine tv that is almost a year old because it won't stretch your picture on your DVD player when it is set to progressive scan? Two questions: Why stretch your DVD's - does it only display it in a 4:3 ratio? Or are you just annoyed at the bars on the top and bottom of your screen? The second is, why would Samsung take back a used tv only to give you credit for a different one. Consider yourself lucky if you can find any company that will take back year-old used tv's that are perfectly fine simply because the customer found a feature that they didn't realize was there. Good luck with your quest buddy.

N. Abstentia
09-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Yeah good luck with that Hershon.

And on a totally unrelated note, I'm declaring war on John Deere. I bought one of their 'lawn mowers' last year only to find out that it does not in fact mow ANYTHING by itself. I called customer service and they told me I have to get behind it and PUSH IT. What a crock, I want a 100% refund.

EdwardGein
09-13-2005, 07:43 PM
The DVD picture on this thing for say something like the 1980's version of the Twilight Zone TV Series while it fills the screen isn't that good- it looks like what some people are complaining about TNT HD on old TV series that they show. If I go to the Expand or Zoom 1 picture size on it as its called by Samsung, its much better. My whole problem is, if they know their TV does not permit you to view a progressive scan playing DVD with all functionality, they should let the public be aware of that fact. In my case, I never would have bought the TV. Unfortunately, you do have a point about it being a year old.

SlumpBuster
09-13-2005, 07:48 PM
I'll admit I don't really understand what your complaint is. I guess some resizing issue. Not to knock the wind out of your sails, but, your on shakey ground given that the warranty on these new televisions is often only one year. And there is nothing actually wrong with yours.

Plus, if it took you a year to discover the "defect," it couldn't possibly be that crucial.

topspeed
09-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah good luck with that Hershon.

And on a totally unrelated note, I'm declaring war on John Deere. I bought one of their 'lawn mowers' last year only to find out that it does not in fact mow ANYTHING by itself. I called customer service and they told me I have to get behind it and PUSH IT. What a crock, I want a 100% refund.
Nice one :D.

Hershon,

Dude, didn't you ever watch the Brady Bunch?

Caveat Emptor my man, caveat emptor.

EdwardGein
09-14-2005, 04:16 PM
The TV is a good one but no it never occured to me that a major company would manufacture & sell an HD TV that doesn't full support all the functions of a progressive scan DVD player despite it having 2 sets of component inputs. It was only because of a fluke I didn't notice this originally which is why I didn't bring it back. On reflection, the fact that this TV is over a year old basically gives me no leverage against Samsung & as I use this a second TV in my bedroom & the picture is good, its not worth my while selling it at a big loss & getting another set.

N. Abstentia
09-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I think the thing that nobody can figure out is....why in the hell do you want to RESIZE the picture?

EdwardGein
09-14-2005, 07:26 PM
I think the thing that nobody can figure out is....why in the hell do you want to RESIZE the picture?

When I play DVD's set on progressive scan on the Samsung TV, it only gives you one picture that is slightly stretched or something- like what TNT HD does when they show old TV shows that were not originally shot in HD. If I resize this on the Samsung to what they call "Zoom 1", it corrects this to the point I'm satisfied and my eyes are not strained. I can do this when I set my DVD player to interlaced. If its on progressive I can't resize the picture & for at least stuff that was originally shot pre 1990's in 4:3 like Old TV shows now on DVD, while the picture occupies the ful screen its stretched or something and hurts my eyes on the Samsung. Not really sure if this is applicable for more current movies. Anyone watching the vomit shown on TNT HD for the older stuff will know what I'm talking about.

thekid
09-15-2005, 04:57 AM
Whatever warranty you did/do have on this TV is your only option for redress. I suggest you read it but as others have said I don't you think (I never have) seen a section that allows you to return the TV because of incompatability with current equipment. If anything this might come under some sort of "customer satisfaction" guarantee and those are usually good for no more than 90 days.
If this is such a problem for you I think all you could try is going back to the original retailer and if you are looking to trade up they may consider giving somew sort of credit on the used TV. But my guess is that since you are trying to go back to the manufacturer the retailer has already told you to pound sand. Do your homework before you buy and these things can often be avoided.

Life is full of obstacles in the road if picture size on a second TV is your biggest problem right now consider yourself lucky.

N. Abstenia- I am having the same problem with my lawnmower. I tried powering it up with my 12-year old son but no go. I think it is a conspiracy on the part of the lawn mower manufacturers to sell more riding lawn mowers or maybe it goes even further to the manufacturers of shoes and sun block!

PUSH a lawn mower-TV's without just the "right" screen size-Hurricane Katrina-Area 51!!!!
It's a government plot!! I'm getting the ammo and heading for the bunker!!!