My new EQ hiss's really bad,Please help? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My new EQ hiss's really bad,Please help?

keithant
09-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Bought a AudioSource EQ 8 series 2 EQ off ebay but when i hooked it up between my Yamaha HTR-5280 Reciever and my HK Amp it has introduced alot of hiss into my once dead silent system.Anybody know what could be causing the EQ to introduce so much hiss into the system?I have removed it for now..Thanks for any help,Keith.

sam9
09-13-2005, 04:25 PM
The answer is probably "No" but does the manual come with a schematic? If you can provide a url to that you might get a better level of guessing from the forum.

JohnMichael
09-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Bought a AudioSource EQ 8 series 2 EQ off ebay but when i hooked it up between my Yamaha HTR-5280 Reciever and my HK Amp it has introduced alot of hiss into my once dead silent system.Anybody know what could be causing the EQ to introduce so much hiss into the system?I have removed it for now..Thanks for any help,Keith.

I have a couple of questions. Have you tried the eq in a tape loop in your Yamaha to see if it generates hiss in that way? Is the HK amp driven by a preamp output? I would hook it up in the tape loop to see if the eq has a problem or it is causing problems between the Yamaha and the HK.

keithant
09-14-2005, 08:58 AM
My Yamaha has two tape input's but neither are monitor loop's like so many Reciever's nowadays,i run the main R/L Preamp output of the Yamaha into the main in of the EQ and then the main out of the EQ to the input of the HK amp.Everything works OK exept for the hissing problem.The hissing is there regardless of the volume position with just the Reciever,EQ and Amp on, and the hissing does not get louder when the volume is pushed up,i tried this with no source on just the Reciever,EQ and Amp on.Thanks..

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-14-2005, 09:47 AM

Welcome to the world of cheap eq's. Audiosource uses cheap parts in their eq's which introduces hiss no matter what you do. I personally believe its the spectrum analyzer that introduces the noise, but the internal parts are also guilty. If I were you, I would ditch this eq quick, and get my hands on a MEQ-2300 by Alesis. It is whisper quiet, far more flexible(1/3 octave versus one octave), you can get them off ebay for anywhere from $50-75. Audiosource eq's are nothing more than dancing lights and cheap electronics.

keithant
09-14-2005, 10:46 AM
I am looking at a BSR EQ-3000 on ebay and was wondering if they are any good?Looks like a very nice EQ,Lot's of features and good build quality.And it say's Made In Japan on the back which has to be good?Thanks..

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-14-2005, 10:47 AM
I am looking at a BSR EQ-3000 on ebay and was wondering if they are any good?Looks like a very nice EQ,Lot's of features and good build quality.And it say's Made In Japan on the back which has to be good?Thanks..

Stay away from these also, they suffer from the same problem as the audiosource. Dancing lights equals noise, and BSR also uses cheap parts in the innards. Look into the eq I mentioned earlier. I used them in my studio, and they worked so well that I bought some for my hometheater.

markw
09-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Got rid of it 'cause of the hissssss. It seems the more glitzy they appear, the noiser they are. Bouncing lights do not good sound make.

If you really, really want an eq, take Sir T's advice and get a good one. The cheap ones all hiss like a pissed off snake.

pelly3s
09-14-2005, 03:49 PM
when it comes to EQ's there isnt only three options in my opinion, Klark Teknik, BSS, or White Instruments. But at the price is probably more than most people care to be spending on an EQ. If that is too much for you than an upper end DBX peice would be great

StanleyMuso
09-14-2005, 06:09 PM
I've never considered using an EQ before, but would one help me tame bass boom in my room? My system has no tone controls, but there are times when I would like to cut down on the bass. You may have seen my previous post about booming, flabby over-emphasized bass, which is caused by problems in an L shaped room. Experimenting with speaker positioning and using a bung in one speaker has tamed it a lot, but sometimes, with some type of music and films, especially at higher volumes, it still intrudes. Using bass traps is not an option in my room.

Thanks.

Stanley

sam9
09-14-2005, 09:41 PM
I've never considered using an EQ before, but would one help me tame bass boom in my room?

Yes (to a point). But I suggest a digital EQ. I'm using a Behringer but there are others. Some with more of an audiophile cachet. Digital avoids some of the unavoidable problems of an analog EQ regarding phase, adjacent band interaction, etcx. The Behringer will perform auto-EQ if you get the microphone as well. I'm sure other brands have similar features. Biggest drawback, it may apply to others as well, is that there are so many features that it takes a while to wade through the manual. Overall, the greatest benefit is in the mid bass to low-mid range here room response and speaker-room interactions make the biggest hash. Remeber, EQ can improve the situation but not make it perfect. Some rooms can only be corrected with a bulldozer and/or dynamite!

Re: "to a point". Any Eq will give you it's best results a a single location in the room. Other locations will be less optimal. Depending on the room and your speakers this may be a large or a small problem. Im my case even the sub-optimal locations are better than without EQ, but there is no way to guarantee that result with out romm treatment added in as well.

StanleyMuso
09-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Yes (to a point). But I suggest a digital EQ. I'm using a Behringer but there are others. Some with more of an audiophile cachet. Digital avoids some of the unavoidable problems of an analog EQ regarding phase, adjacent band interaction, etcx. The Behringer will perform auto-EQ if you get the microphone as well. I'm sure other brands have similar features. Biggest drawback, it may apply to others as well, is that there are so many features that it takes a while to wade through the manual. Overall, the greatest benefit is in the mid bass to low-mid range here room response and speaker-room interactions make the biggest hash. Remeber, EQ can improve the situation but not make it perfect. Some rooms can only be corrected with a bulldozer and/or dynamite!

Re: "to a point". Any Eq will give you it's best results a a single location in the room. Other locations will be less optimal. Depending on the room and your speakers this may be a large or a small problem. Im my case even the sub-optimal locations are better than without EQ, but there is no way to guarantee that result with out romm treatment added in as well.
This is a new area for me - guess I'll have to do a bit of research.

keithant
09-15-2005, 10:31 AM
I have a chance to buy a Brand new in box Teac EQA-110 EQ for $40.00 on Ebay,is it worth it?Thanks Again,Keith.