Is DVI becoming obsolete ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is DVI becoming obsolete ?

csukasem
09-13-2005, 04:38 AM
The point is that I am interested in upgrading my DVI cable. I am using a standard DVI cable around 8 meters in length. I saw an ad. on Transparent cable(Model : HPDVI). The price is around USD 600.

But lately new DVD players have deleted DVI from their option (only HDMI) so I feel that DVI is becoming obsolete and, thus, upgrading the cable would not be wise.

Does anybody care to share ??

Sukasem

ToddL
09-13-2005, 05:11 AM
It pretty much seems that DVI is headed out. HDMI is its replacement, same video just also audio. There are HDMI to DVI adaptors and cables. You would just have to run a separate source of digital audio (ie. digital coax or fibre optic.) though this is not possible on some dvd players.

L.J.
09-13-2005, 05:52 AM
The point is that I am interested in upgrading my DVI cable. I am using a standard DVI cable around 8 meters in length. I saw an ad. on Transparent cable(Model : HPDVI). The price is around USD 600.

But lately new DVD players have deleted DVI from their option (only HDMI) so I feel that DVI is becoming obsolete and, thus, upgrading the cable would not be wise.

Does anybody care to share ??

Sukasem

What's wrong with your current cable?

N. Abstentia
09-13-2005, 06:04 AM
You think there would be any loss with a DVI - HDMI convertor? Shouldn't be I would imagine...

kexodusc
09-13-2005, 06:51 AM
You think there would be any loss with a DVI - HDMI convertor? Shouldn't be I would imagine...
Unless you think the convertors are going to introduce or remove digital information to or from the signal. There won't be any more loss hooking up a connector than there would be connecting a DVI cable to the DVI input on the source player in the first place.

DVI isn't becoming obsolete, just expanding to HDMI. I think this is a good thing, the way all "upgrades" in home theater should be - backward compatible.

$600 for a cable?

topspeed
09-13-2005, 07:45 AM
$600 for a cable?
That's the part that caught my eye as well.

GMichael
09-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Unless you think the convertors are going to introduce or remove digital information to or from the signal. There won't be any more loss hooking up a connector than there would be connecting a DVI cable to the DVI input on the source player in the first place.

DVI isn't becoming obsolete, just expanding to HDMI. I think this is a good thing, the way all "upgrades" in home theater should be - backward compatible.

$600 for a cable?

Maybe one of these would fit your needs.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3
Dayton cables seem to work well.

csukasem
09-13-2005, 07:20 PM
What's wrong with your current cable?

Nothing wrong. Once in a while, I just would like to change/upgrade things.

csukasem
09-13-2005, 07:31 PM
That's the part that caught my eye as well.

Oops, sorry, just rechecked the price. I need a length of 30 feet and the price is approx. USD 1,000. I don't know if it's too cheap or pricey for the brand "Transparent" !!

Sukasem

AVMASTER
09-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Nothing wrong. Once in a while, I just would like to change/upgrade things.
you might want to make sure your DVI cable upgrade is a DVI-DL ( digital dual link)

GMichael
09-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Oops, sorry, just rechecked the price. I need a length of 30 feet and the price is approx. USD 1,000. I don't know if it's too cheap or pricey for the brand "Transparent" !!

Sukasem

$1000 for a cable? ouch!

N. Abstentia
09-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Wow, my 35' DVD-D cable was $35.

csukasem
09-16-2005, 03:32 AM
$1000 for a cable? ouch!

Yest, I live in Thailand where AV components are very expensive. I envy you guys.

Sukasem

csukasem
09-16-2005, 03:35 AM
you might want to make sure your DVI cable upgrade is a DVI-DL ( digital dual link)

I'm sorry but what is dual link ? I have very poor knowledge on electronics. Please explain with simple terms. Thanks

Sukasem

edtyct
09-16-2005, 04:20 AM
Hi Sukasem,

How are you? Dual link DVI has two sets of pins on the connector, instead of one; it is mainly intended for resolutions that exceed 1080p. As you might imagine, It has hardly any use in the field at this point. If a component requires a dual link connection, it will not work with a single link, but the profusion of single link units in existence will work with a dual link DVI cable. Unless you have good reason to believe that a dual link display is in your near future (which is doubtful), however, I'd stay with single link, which provides less opportunity for something not to work correctly.

By the way, you need not spend an inordinate amount of money for a DVI cable to get full capability. Many are overengineered for the typical installation, which doesn't require extraordinary length or protection from possible noise. You might be able to buy a cable over the web that even with shipping will cost scads less than a high end cable purchased in Thailand. I'm not by any means skeptical about the video high end. But if money is scarce, you can certainly spend less on DVI cable--in most cases, substantially--without any signal loss, if the company is reputable. I've tried $13.00 DVI cables that were indistinguishable in performance from $125.00 cable, which did not surprise me at all.

Ed

csukasem
09-16-2005, 04:56 AM
Hi Sukasem,

How are you? Dual link DVI has two sets of pins on the connector, instead of one; it is mainly intended for resolutions that exceed 1080p. As you might imagine, It has hardly any use in the field at this point. If a component requires a dual link connection, it will not work with a single link, but the profusion of single link units in existence will work with a dual link DVI cable. Unless you have good reason to believe that a dual link display is in your near future (which is doubtful), however, I'd stay with single link, which provides less opportunity for something not to work correctly.

By the way, you need not spend an inordinate amount of money for a DVI cable to get full capability. Many are overengineered for the typical installation, which doesn't require extraordinary length or protection from possible noise. You might be able to buy a cable over the web that even with shipping will cost scads less than a high end cable purchased in Thailand. I'm not by any means skeptical about the video high end. But if money is scarce, you can certainly spend less on DVI cable--in most cases, substantially--without any signal loss, if the company is reputable. I've tried $13.00 DVI cables that were indistinguishable in performance from $125.00 cable, which did not surprise me at all.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I'm fine. How are you ? Glad to hear from you again. Thanks for your sharing knowledge.
I have not decided yet. I think I might ask the seller to come to test their cable against mine at my house. I think one thing that makes things here expensive is the tax duty. For your infomation, tax on DVD is USD 5/pc.!!

Anyway, I've posted more on this issue in "cables" section.

Sukasem