Help Progressive vs Interlaced DVD Picture Size Problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help Progressive vs Interlaced DVD Picture Size Problem

EdwardGein
09-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Will be totally greatful to any info given to help solve this problem which I'm beating me head against a wall going nowhere. Specifically, I just got a new Harmon Kardon DVD 31 player from Harmon Kardon free in record breaking time to replace my previous one which mysteriously conked out. That's not why I'm posting. I had to reset all my settings and reconnect the component cables from the Harmon Kardon to my Samsung HD 30" TV.
For some reason, if I have the Harmon Kardon set on Progressive Scan it will not let me
resize the picture (wide, 4:3, stretch, etc.) it says not available but if I switch the Harmon Kardon setting to Interlaced, I can resize the picture. Does this make any sense whatsoever?
Could there be something wrong with my cables even though I have a picture or my settings or maybe you can't resize from progressive scan. Any info appreciated, thanks.

Slosh
09-12-2005, 11:41 PM
It looks to me like your Samsung disables its stretch modes when it detects a 480p signal. Didn't it do this before with the old DVD player? Can you use the stretch modes with a 720p or 1080i signal?

Probably normal for this TV.

EdwardGein
09-13-2005, 12:56 AM
It looks to me like your Samsung disables its stretch modes when it detects a 480p signal. Didn't it do this before with the old DVD player? Can you use the stretch modes with a 720p or 1080i signal?

Probably normal for this TV.

If this is so, shame on me. I'm not sure if maybe I somehow had this on Interlaced instead of progressive scan & thus didn't notice this before. I'll probably call Samsung in the morning. It never dawned on me that an HD TV can have component inputs for the DVD player and not fully make use of a progressive DVD player. I'm happy with both the picture of my DVD's & TV shows on this HD TV but for some reason, unless the DVD is in the full 16:9 widescreen DVD format, the only way I can get my DVD picture to look non distorted on it is to go to Zoom1on its picture sizing. I can't do this right now when I set the DVD player at progressive scan for this TV.