Rear Speaker Position - 5.1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rear Speaker Position - 5.1

matth
01-07-2004, 05:32 PM
My current setup has my rear speakers located on the side wall approx 2 1/2' above and 2' behind ear level when seated, firing at each other.

The Dolby standard http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html recommends the speakers be placed 2' - 3' above and to the side, however a setup like mine is suggested as an alternative if this is not possible due to room layout (I have a heater in the way).

My question is would I benefit from mounting the speakers on adjustable brackets that would allow me to aim the speakers more towards the seating position - I realise the best way is to try but am curious as to peoples experiences / thoughts.

The rears (Wharfedale Diamoind 8.1) are only used for DVD video (5.1).

Thanks

uncooked
01-07-2004, 06:49 PM
well i think the way you have it now the "diffusion" way works really good. but some people like the more direct sound field like them aiming right at you " like me"

my main 5.1 system has everything set up like it is suppost to behind and up on the wall around 2 - 3 feet up from lisening postition blah blah.

i also have a cheaper system in my room. the fronts are normal kinda.... ones sort of behind a desk but o well. the rears i had a window right behind me so i mounted them on a angle coming down from the ceiling. like on the 90 degree angle where the wall and the ceiling meets i mounted them up there with a home made holder and it sounds good. "you can buy them to" i just didnt want to buy something i can make.

recoveryone
01-11-2004, 08:30 AM
My current setup has my rear speakers located on the side wall approx 2 1/2' above and 2' behind ear level when seated, firing at each other.

The Dolby standard http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTheater.0110.html recommends the speakers be placed 2' - 3' above and to the side, however a setup like mine is suggested as an alternative if this is not possible due to room layout (I have a heater in the way).

My question is would I benefit from mounting the speakers on adjustable brackets that would allow me to aim the speakers more towards the seating position - I realise the best way is to try but am curious as to peoples experiences / thoughts.

The rears (Wharfedale Diamoind 8.1) are only used for DVD video (5.1).

Thanks

Your room size and makeup will always dictate what you can do. Go back to the Dolby site and check the other setups. I have mine on the rear wall (mounted 7' up and tilted down about 20 degrees) same as the fronts