War of the Worlds - Coming November 22 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds - Coming November 22

Lexmark3200
09-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Looks like 2 editions from DreamWorks.

2 Disc LE
1 Disc Bare Bones

Both with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 mixes to choose from; the cover art is better on the 2 disc variant.

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=7664&n=1&burl=r%3D0%26g%3Dinfo%26s%3D1%26k%3D%26x%3D9%26y%3 D12

This is a definite buy for me----but I wont get the two discer; as long as the one disc version has the DTS track, Im a happy camper----DTS audio doesnt come sweeter than from DreamWorks, folks; plus, if the audio in the theaters was ANY indication of what this is going to sound like at home in DTS-----WOW-----hang on people; this is going to be the demo disc of the year Im getting the feeling.......

Unless Episode III takes that title.........

Defshep
09-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Easily the most enjoyable time I had at the movies this summer (okay, along with The Island - yes, I'm the one who saw it!), up until the last five or ten minutes. Truly engrossing. Performances were terrific and dead-on. I've never seen better sfx in a movie. Almost too real!

Worf101
09-13-2005, 05:52 AM
Easily the most enjoyable time I had at the movies this summer (okay, along with The Island - yes, I'm the one who saw it!), up until the last five or ten minutes. Truly engrossing. Performances were terrific and dead-on. I've never seen better sfx in a movie. Almost too real!

I'd say the "best" of a notriously "weak" crop of movies. Only made it to the theatres twice this summer and this movie with it's tremendous plot holes, left me feeling ambivilant about it at best. Spielberg and his need for "happy endings" is really beginning to piss me off. Not one I'm lining up to buy.

Da Worfster :D :o

shokhead
09-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Weak is right. I wanted to go to the movies but nothing to see. Anyone know when MI3 is out?

Kam
09-13-2005, 07:19 AM
"Weak is right. I wanted to go to the movies but nothing to see. Anyone know when MI3 is out?"

friend of mine is working on it. they are in the middle of the la shoot still. wont be wrapped for a while, looks like summer '06 release.

shokhead
09-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Whats some good action flicks coming out. Sci-Fi.

Kam
09-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Whats some good action flicks coming out. Sci-Fi.

Zathura (december) (from the Jumanji peeps)

Jurassic Park IV '06 (unknown yet who will direct, spielberg has his abe lincoln project and then indiana jones 4 slated up next after he finishes Munich).

Transformers '07 (michael bay to direct, with the same wunderkind writing team that brought us Catwoman....)

Battle Angel '07 (JAMES CAMERON RETURNS!!!!)

Sub-Mariner '06 (chris columbus moves from harry potter to underwater)

The Evil Dead '06 (remake of the raimi classic with ashton kutcher in the bruce campbell role, i am praying this doesnt go into producion)

2046 (not really sci-fi but more drama about the future and time travel)

The Night Watch Trilogy (starting this year, this looks like it has a chance to be very very very cool, and of course, wasnt made in the us)

FIST '06 (intergalactic alien fight team, sounds like a MIB reject).

He-Man '06 (yes... THAT he-man, directed by John Woo... wonder how he's gonna have slo-mo doves flying in castle greyskull...)

Logan's Run '06 (remake)

Terminator 4 '06 (announced, in development, am praying they please dont continue to beat this dead horse any more than they did with the third one)

Mad Max 4 '06 (why... lord, please tell me why?)

X-Men 3 '06

Ultraviolet '06 (futuristic vampire movie)

Tekken '06 (yes... from the video game... yes, i know it has no plot, that's probably why it got greenlighted...)

only ray of sunshine seems to be coming from James Cameron. Battle Angel is already building some big buzz... let's hope...

peace
k2

L.J.
09-13-2005, 12:49 PM
I felt that it was ok. Seemed like the camera never left Cruise though. I'll probably buy the DVD because I really liked the soundtrack and I'm a sucker for movies with explosions. Especially DTS explosions. :D

Lexmark3200
09-13-2005, 12:58 PM
I felt that it was ok. Seemed like the camera never left Cruise though.

True.....but wait until you hear that DTS track they're gonna dump on this disc.....it will sure be a new home theater demo piece of material, that's for sure, especially coming from DreamWorks, who I have praised at press events constantly for their hard work in bringing more titles to the forefront with DTS mixes on them.

I thought Cruise was actually good in this; he wasn't overtly "hammy" as he usually is and his more subdued approach to the character was refreshing.

On a side note, I cannot BELIEVE they are making a Sub Mariner or Terminator 4 film.....

L.J.
09-13-2005, 01:05 PM
True.....but wait until you hear that DTS track they're gonna dump on this disc.....it will sure be a new home theater demo piece of material, that's for sure, especially coming from DreamWorks, who I have praised at press events constantly for their hard work in bringing more titles to the forefront with DTS mixes on them.

I thought Cruise was actually good in this; he wasn't overtly "hammy" as he usually is and his more subdued approach to the character was refreshing.

On a side note, I cannot BELIEVE they are making a Sub Mariner or Terminator 4 film.....

It will be interesting to see how Sub Mariner is put together. I like the comic films. It helps if you either read the comics based on these characters, or in my case, I remember watching all the cartoons as a kid. Batman, spiderman, super friends, x-men, F4. I've seen em all.

Lexmark3200
09-13-2005, 02:33 PM
"It will be interesting to see how Sub Mariner is put together."

Absolutely agreed; most of this is going to have to be underwater, so it's going to be interesting how they accomplish this and who they get for the main role.

shokhead
09-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Whats a sub mariner? I dont do cartoons or comocs.

Kam
09-13-2005, 06:33 PM

submariner is the marvel version of aquaman. a comic book superhero who is a half human, half atlantian (from atlantis) and the last prince of atlantis. he can breath air and underwater and can fly, superstrength, talks to fish, the whole 9 yards. project is greenlit and in development, but ya never know in hollywood since the new superman movie was in development for over a decade. might even be a spoof joke ala Entourage, the hbo series, where the lead actor just landed a role in Aquaman.

L.J.
09-13-2005, 06:40 PM
submariner is the marvel version of aquaman. a comic book superhero who is a half human, half atlantian (from atlantis) and the last prince of atlantis. he can breath air and underwater and can fly, superstrength, talks to fish, the whole 9 yards. project is greenlit and in development, but ya never know in hollywood since the new superman movie was in development for over a decade. might even be a spoof joke ala Entourage, the hbo series, where the lead actor just landed a role in Aquaman.

That's what I was trying to say. :D

L.J.
09-13-2005, 06:44 PM

He's kinda like aqua-man. I think he's from the lost city of Atlantis or something like that. Like every other comic hero/villian, he has super powers. That's the best I can do. It's been awhile.

I think the film would be interesting because most of it should take place underwater. And if I remember correctly, he wasn't always considered a good guy.

shokhead
09-14-2005, 05:46 AM
Wasnt there a tv show like that with the guy that was on Dallas?

20to20K
09-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Man what an awful show that was...Man from Atlantis.

He was more male-mermaid than superhero. He could only stay on land
for a few hours before weird stuff started happening to him...can'r remember
what. His way of swimming was totally...let's say show-toonish.

I remember it winning some kind of mention as one of the worst TV shows
ever along with Supertrain and a couple others.

L.J.
09-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Man what an awful show that was...Man from Atlantis.

He was more male-mermaid than superhero. He could only stay on land
for a few hours before weird stuff started happening to him...can'r remember
what. His way of swimming was totally...let's say show-toonish.

I remember it winning some kind of mention as one of the worst TV shows
ever along with Supertrain and a couple others.

I didn't catch that one. Glad I missed it.