Firefly / Serenity [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Firefly / Serenity

Kam
09-12-2005, 09:15 AM
Just saw the first disc of the series (the first three episodes) and am awaiting the next disc (netflix), and have to say i am SOLD! i loved it. can't wait for the movie to come out. sat through 3 hours straight. its created by joss whedon (the guy who did buffy and angel tv series and is slated to do wonderwoman).

it takes place about 500 years in the future where a soldier is on the losing side of the war that unifies the galaxy (or universe, but unifes the 'area'). he then basically becomes an old west pirate with two of the soldiers under his command when he was fighting. now he's got his first officer and pilot of this 'firefly' class ship called the Serenity. the first episode has some cheesy opening effects with the war. and if you can get past that, the rest of it is top notch. it's great writing, acting, storytelling, and the effects, for a tv show, are pretty impressive. great character development, but then again, when you have a tv show, you dont need huge arcs in each episode, but have the luxury of revealing tiny nuanced character elements. the episode starts off with furnishing you with all the characters who are the ships crew, and a few passengers they pick up who become the rest of the characters on board. follows the exploits of these space-pirates-cowboys and the different jobs they pick up and the moral line they walk back and forth across. One of the cool things they do, which took me a second to realize what the hell it was, is they all curse in chinese. i looked it up and found it was so they could get the curses past the sensors, and also because in the 'history' america and china combined to become the world's superpower in unifying our world to allow expansion to others. hence it has heavy american and chinese influences throughout (cowboys on one side and then chinese dress/ writing/ language/etc. on the other).

if anyone hasnt seen it, i'd highly reccomend it for sci-fi and even western fans. has a ton of western elements, and i'd say is pretty much the equivalent of a western in space. can't wait for the movie now.

the only issue i had with the disc was the sound seemed a little low. wasnt watching it on my main system, so i cant say if the problem was the system or the disc, but i had it cranked up pretty high to hear the dialogue. when the action sequences started, i had to lower it, but even then was still higher than when i normally watch movies. so just comparing it against other discs (e.g. watched the incredibles at 55-60, aliens at 60, regular tv at 50, and watched this at 70 and then lowered to 65for action parts) it definitely seemed low. (also watched on my uncalibrated htib system, not my main nht/marantz system).

peace
k2

GMichael
09-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Just saw the first disc of the series (the first three episodes) and am awaiting the next disc (netflix), and have to say i am SOLD! i loved it. can't wait for the movie to come out. sat through 3 hours straight. its created by joss whedon (the guy who did buffy and angel tv series and is slated to do wonderwoman).

it takes place about 500 years in the future where a soldier is on the losing side of the war that unifies the galaxy (or universe, but unifes the 'area'). he then basically becomes an old west pirate with two of the soldiers under his command when he was fighting. now he's got his first officer and pilot of this 'firefly' class ship called the Serenity. the first episode has some cheesy opening effects with the war. and if you can get past that, the rest of it is top notch. it's great writing, acting, storytelling, and the effects, for a tv show, are pretty impressive. great character development, but then again, when you have a tv show, you dont need huge arcs in each episode, but have the luxury of revealing tiny nuanced character elements. the episode starts off with furnishing you with all the characters who are the ships crew, and a few passengers they pick up who become the rest of the characters on board. follows the exploits of these space-pirates-cowboys and the different jobs they pick up and the moral line they walk back and forth across. One of the cool things they do, which took me a second to realize what the hell it was, is they all curse in chinese. i looked it up and found it was so they could get the curses past the sensors, and also because in the 'history' america and china combined to become the world's superpower in unifying our world to allow expansion to others. hence it has heavy american and chinese influences throughout (cowboys on one side and then chinese dress/ writing/ language/etc. on the other).

if anyone hasnt seen it, i'd highly reccomend it for sci-fi and even western fans. has a ton of western elements, and i'd say is pretty much the equivalent of a western in space. can't wait for the movie now.

the only issue i had with the disc was the sound seemed a little low. wasnt watching it on my main system, so i cant say if the problem was the system or the disc, but i had it cranked up pretty high to hear the dialogue. when the action sequences started, i had to lower it, but even then was still higher than when i normally watch movies. so just comparing it against other discs (e.g. watched the incredibles at 55-60, aliens at 60, regular tv at 50, and watched this at 70 and then lowered to 65for action parts) it definitely seemed low. (also watched on my uncalibrated htib system, not my main nht/marantz system).

peace
k2

I have been following this sinse the TV show started airing on Scifi. My hard drive was programmed for Stargate night. Just never altered it. I didn't like it at first. It seemed kinda cheezy. But it's been growing on me and I look forward to watching it each week.
The audio sounds very good to me, although the base can be overpowering at times.

musicman1999
09-12-2005, 02:28 PM
love this show.
i own the box set,and it is a very well done collection.It is well acted and well written.The picture is quite solid as is the audio,although it is not in 5.1 .The music used in the show is also very good.
cant wait for the movie
bill

MomurdA
09-19-2005, 02:18 PM
I just saw a preview for this the other day. When is the tv show on, and is it called firely instead of Serenity? You think this would be available at Blockbuster for rent?

GMichael
09-20-2005, 05:45 AM
I just saw a preview for this the other day. When is the tv show on, and is it called firely instead of Serenity? You think this would be available at Blockbuster for rent?

It's on Scifi Fridays. 8 PM I think.
It's very new so I don't know how it could be out to rent so fast, but you never know.

Kam
09-20-2005, 06:13 AM
It's on Scifi Fridays. 8 PM I think.
It's very new so I don't know how it could be out to rent so fast, but you never know.

Firefly is being rebroadcast on scifi. it was originally aired in 2002 on fox, but fox cancelled it after a season and a half. they put a lot of restrictions on whedon and made him tell the story out of the order he wanted to. the dvd of it has the story in order. scifi is showing it now to help out the release of serenity and because it has grown into a big cult following.

GMichael
09-20-2005, 06:30 AM
Firefly is being rebroadcast on scifi. it was originally aired in 2002 on fox, but fox cancelled it after a season and a half. they put a lot of restrictions on whedon and made him tell the story out of the order he wanted to. the dvd of it has the story in order. scifi is showing it now to help out the release of serenity and because it has grown into a big cult following.

Oh, I never heard of it before it started showing up on my SG1 recordings. FOX must have done a great job of advertising.

I do enjoy the show now and look forward to the movie.

Kam
09-20-2005, 06:57 AM
Oh, I never heard of it before it started showing up on my SG1 recordings. FOX must have done a great job of advertising.

I do enjoy the show now and look forward to the movie.

yeah its a shame fox really helped tank the show. i barely remember it at all when it came out. saw one ad for the show, thought it looked interesting, but never knew when it was on. "The Train Job" was the opening debut episode, even though whedon didnt want it to be. on the dvd, Serenity is the first episode (the 2 hour 'pilot' that was never shown), and the train job is the 3rd. which makes sense watching them in that order so you have more familiarity with the characters by then. sucks when good programming gets tanked and reality shows continue to abound like weeds. that's fox for ya!

GMichael
10-10-2005, 05:21 AM
Saw this movie yesterday. It was fantastic. I took a poll from the people in the theater with us. It was unanimous. All 6 of us felt that it was the best movie we had seen in many years. Yeah, that's right. Six people in the whole theater. Someone forgot to tell the public that this was a movie they might like to see. But it was good, very good. More action than Star Wars. If you weren't right on the edge of your seat you were pushing yourself back into it to get away from what was going on. There were a few surprises that I can't say without it being a spoiler. But I will say this. River is my new hero.
If you like action, you'll love this one.

RGA, if you're reading this, you may not like it. It had very little plot development. Strictly action, special effects and adventure. Pure enjoyment. No thinking required. Well, maybe you're up for a break.

It's a shame that very few people will go to see this. The Sci-Fi channel is the only place that I saw any advertisement at all. They put all the money into the movie and nothing into advertisement. Just the opposite of the Hitchhiker's Guide, where all the money went into advertising, and the movie was made with what was left over.

Kam
10-17-2005, 06:12 AM
Loved the movie. I'm not sure how much of it translates if you havent seen the tv show, because i am coming from the perspective of having just watched it, but i thought it was a lot of fun, original, and didnt pander down to the audience. dont want to give any spoilers, but suffice is to say its typical hollywood in some ways (sound in space, etc), and very NOT typical hollywood in other ways.

GMichael
10-17-2005, 06:33 AM
Loved the movie. I'm not sure how much of it translates if you havent seen the tv show, because i am coming from the perspective of having just watched it, but i thought it was a lot of fun, original, and didnt pander down to the audience. dont want to give any spoilers, but suffice is to say its typical hollywood in some ways (sound in space, etc), and very NOT typical hollywood in other ways.

My wife never saw the TV show, but she loved the movie. She even asked what night the show is on and plans to watch with me.
Yeah, I love how you can hear the engines from passing ships. But it's more fun than the reality of silence in a vacuum. The NOT typical part was surprising. Not sure how that would effect future episodes of the show (if there ever are any).
Should we really worry about spoilers? Is anybody actually going to go see this? How many people were there when you saw it?
Who wants to go see a good movie for a change anyhow?!

Kam
10-17-2005, 06:47 AM
My wife never saw the TV show, but she loved the movie. She even asked what night the show is on and plans to watch with me.
Yeah, I love how you can hear the engines from passing ships. But it's more fun than the reality of silence in a vacuum. The NOT typical part was surprising. Not sure how that would effect future episodes of the show (if there ever are any).
Should we really worry about spoilers? Is anybody actually going to go see this? How many people were there when you saw it?
Who wants to go see a good movie for a change anyhow?!

it was pretty filled up, but unfortunately they moved it into one of the smaller theaters, so that kinda sucked ass. it hasnt been doing well in the boxoffice at all and i dont know why. it is, imo, hands down better than any of the current star wars trilogy, and better than return of the jedi. there was only ONE shot where i thought the spfx were a little weak, otherwise, this 39mill movie was everybit (technically) as good as lucas's 115mm behemoths.

also, the opening llong continuous shot was awesome with the hidden hitchcock cut to break it up. they did a good job with that.

and, just to be safe.. SPOILERS BELOW:
i can't believe they killed wash!!!!! and we'll never know what shephard book's secrets are now!!!(at least not from him). book's death i kinda saw coming, they barely used him, barely showed him, and if anyone was expendable from the movie world (not counting his impact in the tv show), it was book. killing off wash though was totally out of nowhere. and at the end with the showdown with the Reavers, i honestly wasnt sure how many others he might kill off. i thought zoe might die there too with her vengeance. but when river jumped through the lockedup door i knew she'd wipe out the reavers, it is joss whedon after all and if he's gonna kill anyone, it'll be a male character, not his chickybadass. i hope it does well enough now on dvd at least to inspire the dollar signs in universal's eyes to greenlight either starting up the show again or another movie. after i saw the tv show, i was dissapointed i couldnt go back to this world until the movie came out. now that the movie is over, am dissapointed there arent more adventures to be had with the serenity crew. am really hoping it gets a new life.

GMichael
10-17-2005, 07:16 AM
It didn't get the advertising it needed. Sci-Fi was the only place I saw anything about it. It's a shame. There has been so much crap out lately. Remakes of remakes are everywhere. Someone finally comes up with something original but no one knows about it.

eisforelectronic
11-23-2005, 12:25 PM
I finally got to see some of the series and it is great! I gonna be sad there aren't any more to see. My god Morena Baccarin is crazy hot!

GMichael
11-23-2005, 12:41 PM
I finally got to see some of the series and it is great! I gonna be sad there aren't any more to see. My god Morena Baccarin is crazy hot!

She's for rent if you have enough credits. You'll have to pass her interview also.