Need speaker recommendations for HT system. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need speaker recommendations for HT system.

acqui
01-07-2004, 05:23 PM
My friend asked me today for some suggestions on speaker suggestions for an HT system he wants to put in his new home. The dimensions of the room is 18 x 22. It will be used with a ratio of about 40/60 (music/ht respectively) He currently has an Onkyo receiver (6.1) He heard my system and loves the sound of the speakers but wants to go with a different company or model because he doesn't want the same speakers as I have. I have an HK receiver with Kappa 400's and their center and dipole surrounds, with an Intermezzo 1.2 sub. The reason I mention this is because I went to Sound City in New Jersey and was told certain speakers sound similar while others may have their own unique characteristics ( I think the salesman said brightness?) Anyway, he likes the sound of the Kappas and I would like something in that vein.
His budget, including a sub is about $2500. I was wondering given those dimensions, what you all might suggest for his setup. If possible, I'd like to stay with Paradigm, BW, Energy, Infinity or JBL because he doesn't know about the other brands very much and isn't very open to lesser names he may not have heard of. We have a friend who has the VTF2 sub and he heard that and likes it. He also heard my parents Infinity Alpha 1200 sub and likes that with their system. I know integration is a large part of listening, as well as room characteristics but he just wants something good to listen to that he and his wife will enjoy. He's not an audiophile per se. Thanks for any suggestions.

manek
01-08-2004, 05:24 AM
infinity is good,
B&W
PSB might suit him and his budget well

Bryan
01-08-2004, 12:28 PM
What are either his or his wife's restrictions on speakers? For example, he may like them big but his wife may want small. He may want them black but his wife may prefer a wood look. If he and his wife love bass then they will want a more powerful sub.

Locally, Paradigm, B&W, PSB, Definitive Technology, Monitor Audio, Boston Acoustics, Klipsch, and Dynaudio are all excellent.

For other brands:

Odyssey Audio (http://www.odysseyaudio.com/loudspeakers.html) Circe (mains), Epiphony (surrounds), and Nemesis (center) go for $1,985 plus shipping and he should be able to add on a HSU VTF-2. Figure the total will be close to $2,435 plus shipping on the Odyssey speakers.

Onix Rocket (http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=13.1) HT package #4. $1,699 plus shipping. Add onto that a SVS 25-31PC+ for $775 plus shipping and they should be satisfied for years to come.

acqui
01-08-2004, 02:14 PM
No restrictions on size. They would prefer Maple or Cherry finish, though black would work also with the decor. I was hoping for some specific recommendations on the Paradigms, Energy, BW models, if possible. And would a 10 inch VTF2 sub be enough for a 22-18 room?

Bryan
01-09-2004, 01:35 PM
The VTF-2 may work but his room would be more in line with a VTF-3.

ryewoods
01-09-2004, 01:43 PM
3 Pairs of Dynaudio Audience 42 or ACI Emeralds. The Dyn's pretty much blow away anything in their price range IMO ($649-$699/pair). An HSU or SVS sub would work well with them too.

manek
01-16-2004, 03:46 AM
Yep...Dynaudio is always a god buy....