Putting my system together... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Putting my system together...

billku
09-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks so much to everyone who helped me with my last question about HDMI/Possible sync issues. I appreciated it so much.

So now I'm actually going to go and buy my audio system. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile so I'm not going to go crazy, but I'm aiming for a home theater experience that I'll enjoy. I listened to a Def Tech speaker set-up at a local store and really was impressed. It included the bipolar supertowers (the BP7006's, I believe) and I loved the sound. So I'm planning on buying either the BP7006s, or perhaps the BP7004s or BP7002s if I can find a good deal on Ebay. I'll accompany them with a center from the c/l/r series (again, a moderately priced one or a better unit of I can find it on eBay), and either the bpx or bpvx rears. In the store, I was impressed with the Denon 2805, but I've also read good things about the Yamaha RX-V657 and the Onkyo TX-SR702. I'll be using the sytem primarily with my 50' Panasonic plasma for watching HD Satellite and DVDs. I'll be setting this all up in a room roughly 15' x 25' with a wooden arched 12' ceiling.

As I said, I don't have the most sophisticated ear, so the intricate differences being discussed on this board are a bit over my head. I realize this is a matter of opinion, but which AVR is the best fit? I just want to make sure that the speakers I'm thinking about can be properly powered by the AVRs I'm considering, and that it'll all sound wonderful in the room I'm configuring it for. Any and all advice would be so, so appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

L.J.
09-11-2005, 02:52 PM
I have the Denon 2805. It's a good avr. Auto setup is a nice feature. You may want to look at the 3805 though. You could probably find it for the same price as the 2805. You'll gain a little bit more power and some additional features. You've named some good avr's in your list. I was stuck between the Onkyo TX-SR702, HK 635 and Denon 2805. In the end it all came down to features and what fit me best, which turnrd out to be the 2805.

Of course the 3805 went on sale for the same price as the 2805 four months later. Man I was pissed. Seems like you just need to go out and give em a try. It may come down to features for you as well.

billku
09-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks for your response -- given your experience, you feel all the AVRs I named will power everything nicely, right? And that it's essentially a choice between features?

L.J.
09-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks for your response -- given your experience, you feel all the AVRs I named will power everything nicely, right? And that it's essentially a choice between features?

Exactly. I looked at your speakers and they should be easy to drive. You could always even add amps later if you want. My room is about the size of yours except I have 8' ceiling and I can only take my Denon so loud before my head feels like it will pop. Denon and Onkyo makes really good avr's. I cannot speak for Yamaha but it is favored. For me it came down to which features I wanted. I don't think you can go wrong with Denon or Onkyo.

billku
09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks a million, LJ. Which features of the Denon pushed you over to its side? The thing I really want is the auto calibration mic, but all three receivers have that. Which is the most powerful in reality (not just the watts per channel they claim)? I looked at the Denon 3805 and, at least at the sites I looked at, it appears to still be a $100 or so more expensive than the 2805. Anyway, again, thanks for your help. Nothing like hearing other people's experiences.

L.J.
09-11-2005, 05:41 PM
If I remember(it's been about 8 months) it came down to little things. I wanted A/B speaker selection and I believe the HK didnt have that. I heard a Onkyo/Energy combo at a friends house and liked it alot. After deciding to get a Denon 2910 DVD player I got the 2805 to go with it later. Another small thing I noticed is that when I went to magnolia Hifi and Good Guys to listen to speakers, both showrooms were using Denon's. Not huge deciding factors but someone has to win a close race right. I'm sure I would be just as happy if I would have went with Onkyo.

I believe the 3805 has a better remote, a third zone and a little bit more power over the 2805.