DVD Recorder/Player Laser Life [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Recorder/Player Laser Life

EdwardGein
09-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Would appreciate any helpful advice on this which will affect future purchases. In the past 6 months, I've had a relatively new DVD recorder & DCD player conk out in me- I had them replaced at no cost from the manufacturer- no problems whatsoever & both sent me new models super fast. Anyway, what I'm curious about is, when I spoke to a technician about the DVD recorder, he told me straight upfront that the lasers don't last forever on these things.
Anyway, is there any relationship between the life of a DVD recorder/player and its cost?
On the average if you use your DVD player and recorders regularly, how long can you expect them to last?

Slosh
09-11-2005, 06:05 AM
Anyway, is there any relationship between the life of a DVD recorder/player and its cost?No.

When DVD first hit the market in 1997 only five manufacturers made their own laser modules/transports; Pioneer, Toshiba, Matsus<a>hita (Panasonic, JVC), Sony, and Samsung. No doubt there are many, many more today. Of those original five only Pioneer and Toshiba seemed to have consistant reliability, however, Toshiba's DVD players/recorders are now outsourced and are no longer reliable.

Bottom line: next time buy a Pioneer (or Pioneer based) player/recorder.