Ccr [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ccr

shokhead
09-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Did i miss it ot is it just one 20 bit cd thats out and no other remaster of any of there stuff? Are they still fighting? I'd like a nice G Hits all remastered but it looks like none to be born. :(

Davey
09-10-2005, 02:00 PM
CDs are only 16 bit, but if ya wanna hear those early CCR albums in all their glory, and you've got a SACD player, Steve Hoffman remastered them not too long ago for Acoustic Sounds and they'll set you back about $20 to $25 each. They're hybrids, and so probably the best CD versions that have been put out as well, but kind of pricey if all you want is a CD. Hoffman does some great work and is a true master at getting the most out of old analog tapes. I've found most modern remasters to be a letdown because of the obligatory high levels of EQ and compression added so don't automatically assume that just because something has been remastered that it's the one to get, unless you're young and that punchy sound is what you like. Some of the early masters are clearly better, at least to some of us old codgers who remember what a little bit of dynamic range was. But to be honest, all my CCR is on vinyl so I don't really have an answer ;)

dean_martin
09-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Did i miss it ot is it just one 20 bit cd thats out and no other remaster of any of there stuff? Are they still fighting? I'd like a nice G Hits all remastered but it looks like none to be born. :(

There was a series of CCR albums on the Fantasy label. I think you can still find them. I only have one. It's "The Concert", recorded at the Oakland Coliseum January 31, 1970. The collection of tunes reads like a G Hits.

Here's what the cover says about the remastering: mastered in analog utilizing the 20-bit K2 Super Coding System by mastering engineer Shigeo Miyamoto under the supervision of Tamaki Beck for JVC Studios.

As for the music itself, the first track sounds a little compressed, then it opens up nicely. Just about all the songs are more intense than their studio versions.

I've seen the new remasters offered by Acoustic Sounds, but I haven't heard one.