Foo Fight on the Bayou [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Foo Fight on the Bayou

Davey
09-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Any of you catch the telethon last night? I only saw bits and pieces, but the Foo Fighters really rocked on that old CCR classic, "Born On The Bayou". What a great band! I've never been a huge fan of Grohl's songs, which often seem to have kind of a cookie cutter feel to me, but the band has always been a strong crunchy rock ensemble, and last night they were hot. Really nailed it, especially considering they were really just palying for themselves with no audience in the studio to speak of. Grohl has the gravelly voice down, and got better the further into the song he got, until it was almost like a young John Fogerty, but not quite the lower register in his voice that John had in those days, but he does have the look with the hair across his face and the power in his voice. And the drummer is a real power house.

Saw Neil Young sing "When God Made Me", a real heartfelt song done on the piano with a small gospel choir that sounded great. Supposed to be on his next album I think. And Dr. John did a very somber "Walkin' to New Orleans", and Garth Brooks, Trishia Yearwood and the Late Show' band doing another CCR classic, "Who'll Stop the Rain", although I thought Garth has too much of a girly man voice to really nail that one. Still, sounded nice.

Guess there were some real highlights that I missed too.

Slosh
09-10-2005, 11:54 AM
I started watching but was a little annoyed that it wasn't shot in HD. I watched it on both the ABC and Fox HD channels and the audio was all FUBAR. It was DD 5.1 on ABC but only the left channel had any sound so I switched over to Fox where my pre/pro said DD 2.0 but really it was in mono. Obviously they had some major audio snafu and I couldn't take it anymore after it wasn't cleared up by the second song (U2). I don't think I missed much.

BTW, "Born On The Bayou" is CCR's best song. Would have liked to hear Uncle Tupelo cover that one.

Davey
09-10-2005, 12:30 PM
BTW, "Born On The Bayou" is CCR's best song. Would have liked to hear Uncle Tupelo cover that one.
Maybe so, I always liked it a lot. I did hear a cover of "Fortunate Son" one time by UT but just did a google and can't find anyplace to download it, although I do see it listed by some. Their cover of "Effigy" is great and I have a couple of their Neil Young covers on my computer including a pretty nice version of "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere", although Neil and the Crazy Boys really nailed that one the first time so I don't think anyone'll ever beat that.

Audio Girl
09-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Any of you catch the telethon last night? I only saw bits and pieces, but the Foo Fighters really rocked on that old CCR classic, "Born On The Bayou". What a great band! I've never been a huge fan of Grohl's songs, which often seem to have kind of a cookie cutter feel to me, but the band has always been a strong crunchy rock ensemble, and last night they were hot. Really nailed it, especially considering they were really just palying for themselves with no audience in the studio to speak of. Grohl has the gravelly voice down, and got better the further into the song he got, until it was almost like a young John Fogerty, but not quite the lower register in his voice that John had in those days, but he does have the look with the hair across his face and the power in his voice. And the drummer is a real power house.

Saw Neil Young sing "When God Made Me", a real heartfelt song done on the piano with a small gospel choir that sounded great. Supposed to be on his next album I think. And Dr. John did a very somber "Walkin' to New Orleans", and Garth Brooks, Trishia Yearwood and the Late Show' band doing another CCR classic, "Who'll Stop the Rain", although I thought Garth has too much of a girly man voice to really nail that one. Still, sounded nice.

Glad I checked in here. I had no idea who the group was but thought their version of "Born on the Bayou" was the best performance of the show. Closely followed by Neil Young's performance. I wonder if either of these live performances will be released or if they will be available for download.

Snowbunny
09-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Glad I checked in here. I had no idea who the group was but thought their version of "Born on the Bayou" was the best performance of the show. Closely followed by Neil Young's performance. I wonder if either of these live performances will be released or if they will be available for download.

Hey Miss Mary! :) Good to see you posting. I thought you might have been lurkin' about, but there's been a couple of posts I was sure you were gonna jump in on, but never did.

I hope you and yours are well. I think of you and your son, everyt ime I see a tribute to a fallen soldier and hope with all my heart he is safe and sound.

Snowbuns

Snowbunny
09-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Any of you catch the telethon last night?

I had to turn it off when Mary J. Blige teamed up with U2. One of the worst live performances I've ever heard. I wonder if they rehearsed together at all?

Davey
09-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Wow, both you and Snowbunny stop by at the same time. Is the moon blue? Hehehe, ya know Dave Grohl was the skin pounder with Nirvana and probably the best guitarist in the band as well. The Foo Fighters are a very solid band and very popular, and I do have their first two albums, and that second one is very good, albeit with maybe just a little too much gloss for my tastes, but it did generate a few MTV hit videos if I recall. "My Hero" is a pretty nice song. Might be about Kurt Cobain, don't know for sure. The video was pretty cool.

Anyway, no idea about availability of last night's performances beyond what I said abut Neil's track being on his next album, which apparently is availble for listening at his site now. Also I read tha he performed the same song at Live8, but I missed it. Take care.

Davey
09-10-2005, 02:40 PM
I had to turn it off when Mary J. Blige teamed up with U2. One of the worst live performances I've ever heard. I wonder if they rehearsed together at all?
That does sound like an odd combo. What did they attempt to do together? Guess I was fortunate to miss most of it while trying to catch the new installment of Battlestar Galactica, one of my favorite shows, but what I saw was pretty cool.

tentoze
09-10-2005, 03:23 PM
The drummer was the only redeeming feature of the Foo song for me. Young's performance was excellent. Paul Simon's turn was very good, as well. Hell, even Rod Stewart managed to not embarrass himself. Stand-out moment for me was Randy Newman singing Louisiana-1927, accompanying himself on piano.

Slosh
09-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Stand-out moment for me was Randy Newman singing Louisiana-1927, accompanying himself on piano.Yeah, poor audio and all I thought that was a pretty tasteful way to start the show.

I don't have any Randy Newman in my collection. Should I? Maybe this should be a separate thread.

ForeverAutumn
09-11-2005, 06:48 AM
Yeah, poor audio and all I thought that was a pretty tasteful way to start the show.

I don't have any Randy Newman in my collection. Should I? Maybe this should be a separate thread.

Was that the opening song? I was wondering who that was. That totally moved me.

I didn't realize that was an old song and as I listened to the lyrics, I thought that the song was written after Katrina, with the lyric, "they're trying to wash us away" refering to the economics (or racism if you prefer to think that way) of so many people not being able to evacuate. I was a little confused when it mentioned President Coolidge. But now it all makes sense.

What a wonderful song and perfomance that was.

tentoze
09-11-2005, 08:37 AM
Was that the opening song? I was wondering who that was. That totally moved me.

I didn't realize that was an old song and as I listened to the lyrics, I thought that the song was written after Katrina, with the lyric, "they're trying to wash us away" refering to the economics (or racism if you prefer to think that way) of so many people not being able to evacuate. I was a little confused when it mentioned President Coolidge. But now it all makes sense.

What a wonderful song and perfomance that was.
Yes, it was the opening song, FA. Even though the circumstances of the 1927 floods and Katrina are different (in '27, the levees were dynamited upriver in order to keep NOLA from drowning, resulting in the deaths of thousands in LA and MS), the poorest of the poor bore the brunt of both disasters. And I've been repeating the lines:

"President Coolidge come down in a railroad train
With a little fat man with a note pad in his hand.
President say, "Little fat man, isn't it a shame
What the river has done to this poor cracker's land."

quite often in the last two weeks when I see certain jackasses holding photo ops on teevee.

Slosh,

If you want to do a separate thread, I'll wade in with my opinions- I love Randy Newman.

Swish
09-11-2005, 08:50 AM

I guess you've been in hiding all this time. I hope this means you'll be checking in on occasion, and I have another comp I think you would like. Are you still at the same address?

Swish

DariusNYC
09-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Great thread. Hi Mary! Randy Newman rules. "Louisiana 1927" is from his Good Old Boys album, which is one of his best. It's a gorgeous, sad song. Would've liked to hear that Foo Fighters performaance. I haven't always followed the Foo Fighters, and not all the music I've heard of theirs I thought was great, but I always thought they had their hearts in the right place, and I've heard them put on some great performances. Dave Grohl is such a big, and omnivorous, music fan, and he always works in elements from his musical heroes. So it's not surprising to hear they did a good version of that CCR classic.

Audio Girl
09-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Hey Miss Mary! :) Good to see you posting. I thought you might have been lurkin' about, but there's been a couple of posts I was sure you were gonna jump in on, but never did.

I hope you and yours are well. I think of you and your son, everyt ime I see a tribute to a fallen soldier and hope with all my heart he is safe and sound.

Snowbuns

Hi Susan,

Good to see you posting also! I haven't been around in quite a while because I have little access to a computer during the day. How are you? Hubby and I will be in your neck of the woods in October to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary ~ over the course of a week, we will be visiting Vancouver, Whistler, and Victoria Island. This is our first visit to the area and we are really excited. I've heard it's beautiful there...most people tell us to prepare for the desire to not want to come back! If you have any suggestions for Vancouver hotels, restaurants, etc., I am all ears. :-)

Thank you for your thoughts of our son. He returned from his Iraq deployment in January 2005, is currently in the Gulf Coast Region assisting with the Katrina disaster relief, and will deploy again to Iraq following the completion of his assignment in NOLA (2 to 3 months). He is doing well.

What have you been listening to recently?

Audio Girl
09-12-2005, 06:39 AM
I guess you've been in hiding all this time. I hope this means you'll be checking in on occasion, and I have another comp I think you would like. Are you still at the same address?

Swish

Hi Swisheroo, not been in hiding ~ just had little access to a computer for a while. Still at the same address...at least for now. We've had it up for sale since mid-June, had a contract at 10 days but turned it down (probably should have taken it!), and no recent bites. But lots of lookers. :-)

How is your family? What's the latest on your son. Email is still the same if you'd like to communicate that way.

Hey, do you have the White Stripes latest effort? If you don't, I'll send you my copy. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to bond with it. Loved the prior two efforts plus Jack White's production of Loretta Lynn's last release. Shoot me an email with your addy if you'd like to have it, okay?

Looking forward to hearing your comp.

Darius, right back at you! How have you been? We visited your wonderful city last October but haven't been back since. We hope to come in early December for some Christmas shopping. I've never been to NYC at Christmas...heard it's a spectacle to behold.

Swish
09-13-2005, 03:32 AM
Hi Swisheroo, not been in hiding ~ just had little access to a computer for a while. Still at the same address...at least for now. We've had it up for sale since mid-June, had a contract at 10 days but turned it down (probably should have taken it!), and no recent bites. But lots of lookers. :-)

How is your family? What's the latest on your son. Email is still the same if you'd like to communicate that way.

Hey, do you have the White Stripes latest effort? If you don't, I'll send you my copy. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to bond with it. Loved the prior two efforts plus Jack White's production of Loretta Lynn's last release. Shoot me an email with your addy if you'd like to have it, okay?

Looking forward to hearing your comp.

Darius, right back at you! How have you been? We visited your wonderful city last October but haven't been back since. We hope to come in early December for some Christmas shopping. I've never been to NYC at Christmas...heard it's a spectacle to behold.
as is often the case, and I don't keep any personal e-mail addresses on my company-issue laptop. I have lots to share with you.

Swish