I feel cheated [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I feel cheated

carrier
09-10-2005, 08:39 AM
First of all, let me say that i enjoy reading the board, it is informative and entertaining at
times. Thank you to all of the veterans for your informative commentary. I had an urge to
upgrade my modest system of paradigm 7 v2 monitors to something more upscale.
I listened to energy veritas 2.4 and b & w 703 and 704 and some new energy products . Although they seemed better in the mid range, they weren`t a huge improvement over what I have now. I was expecting to blown away as I went up almost 7x in dollar range. I have my wife`s approval to get whatever I like (she likes that little ice cream cone shaped thingy on top of the b & w cabinet.) I like 2 channel rock music (with no tone controls or sub.)Now I dont know if I will upgade, any suggestions or comments? Help me spend some money.Thank you.

ToddL
09-10-2005, 08:58 AM
If you like rock you should find a dealer with PSB. Preferably the Platinum series, they sound great if they are powered properly.

Florian
09-10-2005, 08:59 AM
It all depends on your drive electronics and space. I my opinion all the Apogee fullrange models beat the entire B&W and Paradigm etc. range with ease. They are neutral, have real bass, are incredibly fast and can throw a large soundstage and you can get them repaired and tuned by profesionals all over the world. Another choice are Maggies.

Those two are my recomendation to you and for more info on apogees go to www.apogeespeakers.info (http://www.apogeespeakers.info) and for maggies go to www.magnepan.com (http://www.magnepan.com)

-Florian

PS: Every single Apogee needs a repair now. These ribbon replacments cost usually aorund 3K to 5K depending on model. But even then they are a bargain. If you find a nice pair with restored ribbons, i say go for it.

Wireworm5
09-10-2005, 09:20 AM
I have to agree the monitor 7's are a very good speaker for the price. However when I compare them to my Studio 100 v2 they are outclassed. The 100's excell in the upper bass,lower bass,and the highs and is tonally accurate. The 7's have a smoothed out highs, punchy bass and are a little forward sounding when played loud. Of coarse this is all a matter of preference. Maybe you prefer smoothed out highs, etc. But as you mentioned once you get to a certain quality in speakers than you can expect diminshing returns as the price goes up.

Jim Clark
09-10-2005, 01:37 PM
What other brands are carried by dealers in your area? I'd think that most would have web pages devoted to the brands that they carry. I'm not sure how helpful it would be to state my preference without knowing if you can even listen to them where you are. I know I wouldn't buy something without having at least some idea how they sound, especially since you've already been let down by what you have heard to date. I dunno, if any of these are available for you to hear I'd be excited.

These are the brands that are especially appealing to me:
Revel
Dynaudio
Von Schweikert
Thiel

And if I was in the looking mode I wouldn't pass up the chance to listen to:
MMG
Sonus Faber
JM Labs (Focal)
,even those these aren't for me.

I hope you have a lot of choices in your area and stumble upon the right solution for you.

jc

thepogue
09-10-2005, 04:34 PM
I agree with wire...if you like the paradigm sound...the 100's v.2 are a great next step....and well within reach! I have a pair for sale if your interested....drop me a dime

thepogue@yahoo.com

in any event good luck!!

Pogue

carrier
09-10-2005, 05:15 PM
I agree with wire...if you like the paradigm sound...the 100's v.2 are a great next step....and well within reach! I have a pair for sale if your interested....drop me a dime

thepogue@yahoo.com

in any event good luck!!

Pogue

thank you all for a response, i live in Toronto , Canada so i would probably be able to find
various dealers of most of the brands suggested . i was able to hear the paradigm studio 60 and the monitor 7 v4 for a short period of time , i want to go back and listen to the
studio 100`s . i guess i`m used to the paradigm sound as i liked both of them , but not enough of a difference to make a change. the new 7`s were quite good . im hoping the 100`s do it for me.

thepogue
09-10-2005, 05:22 PM
the 100 v.2 are a steal!!!

go run..get a set NOW!!

;)

Pogue

carrier
09-10-2005, 06:43 PM
the 100 v.2 are a steal!!!

go run..get a set NOW!!

;)

Pogue

i have an older yamaha rxv 800 receiver , i think i would need a amp to run the 100`s
and use the yahama as a pre amp . is rotel or anthem a good match and how powerful
would the amp need to be. ( anthem is on paradigm`s website ). thanks

Wireworm5
09-10-2005, 07:10 PM
i have an older yamaha rxv 800 receiver , i think i would need a amp to run the 100`s
and use the yahama as a pre amp . is rotel or anthem a good match and how powerful

I was using my Yamaha Rx-V2200 to power the 100's which it was able to do. But when I got a Bryston 3B-st (120 watts) the difference was instantly apparent. The bass had authority and the the highs where way better. But if I ran the low freq. bass to the 100's instead of my sub, at loud volume the Bryston would clip. However I now have the 100's powered by a 3B-sst (160 watts) and the amp hasn't clipped once yet at my regular loud volume. I have no experience with Rotel or Anthem to offer an opinion.

Anyways the 100's are great for rock which is what the majority of my music collection is.

thepogue
09-11-2005, 02:48 AM
I've got a carver 250 amp for sale also...lol I'll give you a break on both!

Feanor
09-11-2005, 04:06 AM
... Help me spend some money.Thank you.
Another speaker make you might check out is Totem; look at their 'Forest' model perhaps if you're into rock -- I think the Totems, (also made in Canada), offer a fairly different presentation from Paradigm certainly. Von Schweikert speakers, (not Canadian!), and another option. Both Totems and Von Schweikerts have good reputation for accurate and transparent sound.

But that raises another topic: loose your Yamaha receiver! Assuming you're OK with 2 channel, to exploit the quality of speakers like the above, I'd definitely be look at amplifiers the likes of a Simaudio i-3 or i-5 integrated, (Canadian-made), or a PS Audio CGA-100 integrated , or maybe an Odyssey Tempest preamp + Stratus power amp combo.

Geoffcin
09-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Another speaker make you might check out is Totem; look at their 'Forest' model perhaps if you're into rock -- I think the Totems, (also made in Canada), offer a fairly different presentation from Paradigm certainly. Von Schweikert speakers, (not Canadian!), and another option. Both Totems and Von Schweikerts have good reputation for accurate and transparent sound.

But that raises another topic: loose your Yamaha receiver! Assuming you're OK with 2 channel, to exploit the quality of speakers like the above, I'd definitely be look at amplifiers the likes of a Simaudio i-3 or i-5 integrated, (Canadian-made), or a PS Audio CGA-100 integrated , or maybe an Odyssey Tempest preamp + Stratus power amp combo.

But Feanor is correct in that your receiver is not going to do them justice. Totem speaker like high current amps, the more the better.

I've just taken delivery of another Canadian speaker, the Axiom M80. I'm going to do a full review of these speakers soon, but the short take is that these speakers are absolutely worth auditioning, especially if you are Canadian!

carrier
09-11-2005, 10:16 AM
I've got a carver 250 amp for sale also...lol I'll give you a break on both!

i think i have a solution, if i rent your basement can i use your stuff :) ,

i have listened to the totems, they were the smaller ones 5 x 7 x 36 roughly and sounded good considering the size,the salesman had a pair at his place, with a 10 inch sub and said it was quite satisfying,they had a very high waf factor also , so they were well received by the condo dwellers downtown with limited floor space .

my wife is big on those b & w `s , she likes the way the 800`s look ,but i dont like the prices they charge for them , although i did like the product also .

i think if i didnt visit this board as often as i do , i wouldnt have the urge to upgrade . you guys are good for the economy .keep up the good work .

i will look for the review of the axiom 80`s .

thank you all.

RGA
09-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Carrier your experience is not too surprising -- just because you pay more doesn't mean your getting more -- or at least not enough more to justify the price. I would rather have the Monitor seires over the B&W 700 series because in terms of value for your dollar the 700 seires is one of the worst I have ever ever heard. But to read the press you'd be stupid not to spend thousands on them. :rolleyes:

You have speakers -- which means you don;t need to be any sort of rush to pull the trigger. Look for a different kind of design, and really just listen and listen a lot to every speaker you can -- I'd start with the lesser known brands in your area -- the ones that tend to advertise to the brim -- probably are the ones who need to.