Pagin Slosh - Update on N.O. and coffee. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pagin Slosh - Update on N.O. and coffee.

Swish
09-10-2005, 08:22 AM
In a prior post you mentioned that 80% of our coffee comes thru New Orleans and were wondering how the coffee market would be affected by the hurricane. I just read a column in the business section of my paper and saw the following:

700.000 bags of coffee stored in N.O. warehouses operated by Port Cargo Service weren't damaged by Hurricane Katrina, the company said yesterday. "We had some roof damage in three warehouses but moved the nearby coffee to dry areas those buildings."

What really caught my eye was another part of the article that mentions that said "Traders believe the N.O. coffee industry could be a big loser well after the hurricane, noting that the port in recent years slipped from the largest coffee terminal to second after New York. Ports in Houston, Florida, NY and New Jersey are picking up the business driverted from N.O."

You mentioned reading that the N.O.port brought in 80% of the coffee in the US, but that was obviously incorrect, and it appears that no coffee was lost and there won't be a shortage. Hey, it's all good! Can you imagine our coffee going up in price like gasoline?

Swish Daddy

Slosh
09-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Sometimes I don't mind being wrong

or

Don't believe everything you read ;)

After paying $55 for a tank of gas I don't think I'll be spending much money on frivolous stuff for a while but that'll have no impact on my coffee habit or music buying. Priorities :)

Not looking forward to my heating bills this winter (natural gas - at least it's not oil heat)

NP: Calexico - Feast Of Wire