Major Home Theater Confusion [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Major Home Theater Confusion

zoomingm3
09-09-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm sorry to say I need help setting up my Home Theater system. In the past I've always been able to figure it out but this time, I'm really lost. I recently purchased a new Samsung DLP TV, Pioneer VSX-815 AVR and Motorola HD cable receiver. The problem is each manufacture manual tells me to set it up differently.

Let me start out by asking what I'm sure is a stupid question, do all Component Video connections have to run through the AVR? I ask this because the Motorola manual shows the Component video (Green, Blue & Red) cables running directly from my cable receiver to my TV. The manual states "These connections support only the high-definition video connection between the DCT and the HDTV". If I were to run these component connections through the AVR, will I still be able to view HD channels? Most of my confusion has to do with running video connections through the receiver; I'm thinking the receiver (AVR) only handles the sound and not the picture (video) is this incorrect? I'm assuming the Audio connections (Digital Audio) supports/produces the 5.1 ch sound or is it a combination of the audio and video connections (can you tell I'm really confused here)?

Thanks for your help.

HAVIC
09-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Your AVR has Three (3) 40MHz HDTV-compatible component video inputs. So yes you can use your avr to hook up your cable box. and then connect the avr to your tv. you can then also hook up your dvd player to your avr, so you only have one component video cable going to your tv.

The reason this is not stated in the manual is because the average person does not have an avr that can do that. It seems though that more avr's are including component video switching and eventually hdmi video switching.

LMB
09-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Hi Zooming3m

You should connect your 3 component from your cable box direct to your TV
and your DVD direct to your TV(unless your dvd & receiver have ILlink connection(firewire))
Making the connection through receiver is just one more processing step

Have fun

GMichael
09-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Your AVR has Three (3) 40MHz HDTV-compatible component video inputs. So yes you can use your avr to hook up your cable box. and then connect the avr to your tv. you can then also hook up your dvd player to your avr, so you only have one component video cable going to your tv.

The reason this is not stated in the manual is because the average person does not have an avr that can do that. It seems though that more avr's are including component video switching and eventually hdmi video switching.

Dude, nice system.

recoveryone
09-09-2005, 07:38 PM

Hey Havic, I see that you have a Mp3 player hook up to your system, I have a question for you. I seen a wireless Mp3 player/network box on ebay (Netgear) it works on the 802.11b as does most wireless stuff. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on this type of device. From what I have read:
Enjoy your digital music files and Internet radio in any room of your home with the Netgear wireless digital music player. It connects to your existing home stereo to your home computer network so you can listen to your MP3 and Windows Media format files throughout the house.

In keeping with Netgear’s philosophy the MP101 comes in at an affordable price whilst its brushed steel front panel won’t look out of place on a hi-fi rack. Central to this is a brightly lit four line text display that provides information about the unit’s status, its configuration and the tracks being played. All access is via the supplied remote control handset which provides easy access to the unit’s settings and play menus. Netgear has been a bit crafty about the MP101’s wireless capabilities as it states it is 802.11b and g compliant. What it actually means is the unit only supports 802.11b and 11Mbit/sec speeds but will connect to an access point supporting simultaneous b and g operations.

http://www.dansdata.com/images/mp101/mp101_800.jpg