Flamenco, anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Flamenco, anyone?

Stone
01-07-2004, 01:38 PM
A friend of mine really likes guitar music, which I believe is flamenco. For instance, she's played a little Gypsy Kings for me, and there's a distinct guitar playing style there. This is a genre I'm completely unfamiliar with (and it may not be flamenco at all). She's also played some Arabic music for me that has a somewhat similar guitar style. Any recommendations of this type of music would be greatly appreciated.

Stone

PPG
01-07-2004, 01:38 PM
A friend of mine really likes guitar music, which I believe is flamenco. For instance, she's played a little Gypsy Kings for me, and there's a distinct guitar playing style there. This is a genre I'm completely unfamiliar with (and it may not be flamenco at all). She's also played some Arabic music for me that has a somewhat similar guitar style. Any recommendations of this type of music would be greatly appreciated.

Stone

Gene,

Try some Ottmar Liebert, Strunz & Farah, Govi, Jesse Cook, or Oscar Lopez. .

Dusty Chalk
01-07-2004, 01:48 PM
I'm not sure Gipsy Kings (note spelling) are pure flamenco, but if you're into that, I would recommend some of Al Di Meola's work with Paco De Lucia and McLaughlin (Friday Night In San Francisco, Passion Grace & Fire and the simply titled The Guitar Trio), as well as some of his more acoustic-ish work (Infinite Desire is mostly acoustic, for example).

Also check out Young & Rollins (http://www.youngandrollins.com/), a local (to me) band, that are simply awesome. Discovered them at the local Barnes and Nobles... Your friend would like.

tentoze
01-07-2004, 02:33 PM

Stone

I'd definitely second the Strunz & Farah rec- 1 Costa Rican (Flamenco-ish)+ 1 Iranian (Arabic-ish) making some pretty incredible music.

dld
01-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Johannes Linstead should be right up yer alley. Check out this review. I scored this album this summer and its gotten quite a few spins Casa Nasty.

The popular worldbeat/new age acoustic guitarist Johannes Linstead continues his journey through a groovin' pop flamenco-land on this second release. He's mining the same territory as he did on his debut, Sol Luna Tierra, but with slightly more aggression on the up-tempo tracks and more elegant ambience and texture on the romantic pieces. He also adds the piano and bouzouki to his impressive multi-instrumentalist resume. A relentless, joyful thump drives the sexy, seductive "Mezza Luna," which rolls aggressively along a path charted by Linstead's guitar but full of spirited acoustic piano flashes, also played by Linstead. "La Serpiente" is as sly as its title promises, opening with hypnotic solo guitar that is then joined by a full rhythm section and then, in spots, a synth orchestra for dramatic effect. "Road to Marrakesh" finds him exploring even more exotica than usual, while "Kiss the Earth" is a sweet meditation full of unusual percussion lines and cool sonic effects. Alla Kadysh adds haunting vocalizations to a few tracks, including the dreamy "Savannah," which has the impact of calling a wayward lover home.

jack70
01-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Another vote here for Strunz & Farrah... I only have an early one about 10 years old, but it was well done.

There's a lot of quasi-flamenco stuff that's in the standard classical guitar repertoire. I have quite a few discs and LPs of such things (classical guitar). Those type of discs may be a better buy because they have other (non-flamenco) stuff on them too (more variety). I have some strictly flamenco albums, and they can get tiring after a while. It's a music form that's probably best seen live.

Ramon Montoya is considered the most famous flamenco guitarist of all time. I have a CD by his nephew Carlos Montoya which was originally a "Direct to Disc" (Crystal Clear) LP made in the 70's, and put on CD in the 90's. It's essentially a solo live performance, and a very good one. Flamenco is a lot like jazz in that it's always a "one off" artistic performance/interpretation. It's sorta like a jazz pianist that's playing solo interpretations around some basic themes. That disc has more dynamics and variety in styles in the material than your general flamenco recording. Quite a workout too. It's a good form to study to develop & expand one's guitar chops.... fer sure.

BarryL
01-09-2004, 03:22 PM

Stone

If you want to take your Flemenco electric and into the 21st Century, then you need to get your hands on Steve Steven's Flemenco-A-Go-Go. This is outstanding jazz fusion rock flemenco. Very unique.

Also, if you're into more ambient chill music and want a touch of flemenco, kind-of a cross between Gypsy Kings and Tangerine Dream, try B-Tribe's Suave Suave or Fiesta Fatale!

I also agree that Struntz and Farrah is enjoyable. I have a couple of their CDs from about ten years ago.

VWGTI24V
01-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Strunz & Farah are indeed EXCELLENT! Latin/flamenco tinged guitar with some Arabic scales and influence. Jorge Strunz is from Costa Rica, and Ardeshir Farah is from Iran. Their backup band is world class as well. They have a stellar DVD out too, where you can SEE their wizardry. Highly recommended!

BarryL
01-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Strunz & Farah are indeed EXCELLENT! Latin/flamenco tinged guitar with some Arabic scales and influence. Jorge Strunz is from Costa Rica, and Ardeshir Farah is from Iran. Their backup band is world class as well. They have a stellar DVD out too, where you can SEE their wizardry. Highly recommended!

Thanks for the DVD tip. I'll have to look into picking this up.

Speaking of guitar DVDs, I watched Steve Hackett accoustic in Budapest and was disappointed. Unfortunately, he plays most of the tunes with his brother on flute and a piano player, and when all three are playing, the classical guitar is drowned out in the mix. I highly recommend Somewhere in South America is you want to experience his guitar talent, but it's not flemenco.

Stone
01-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to see if I can find some of your recommendations.

bobsticks
12-19-2009, 12:07 PM
For more traditional stuff I gravitate towards this lil' gem, Carlos Heredia's Gypsy Flamenco...great performance, great SQ and I bet you'll be able to find it without lifting a finger...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H2YXE2K8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

OTOH, if one feels a bit on the avant garde, black fingernail paint, saucy side of the gig, one could go this way with it...

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kx9oU3YzSKk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kx9oU3YzSKk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

Stone
12-19-2009, 02:33 PM
For more traditional stuff I gravitate towards this lil' gem, Carlos Heredia's Gypsy Flamenco...great performance, great SQ and I bet you'll be able to find it without lifting a finger...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H2YXE2K8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

OTOH, if one feels a bit on the avant garde, black fingernail paint, saucy side of the gig, one could go this way with it...

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kx9oU3YzSKk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kx9oU3YzSKk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

Thank you for the suggestions, but just to put things in perspective, since I started this thread:

(1) That "friend" and I broke up, and I then began to date other women;
(2) One of those other women I dated has since become my wife;
(3) The woman who became my wife and I had a baby together, who is now 3 1/2;
(4) I have moved twice;
(5) I have switched jobs once; and
(6) I have quit coming to this board, and eventually came back.

That's not to say I am completely disinterested in flamenco, just much less interested in finding such music as I was at the time. :)

That Steve Stevens song does seem pretty cool, though.

LeRoy
12-19-2009, 04:35 PM

Stone

At Barnes and Nobles, I picked up a 3CD set, Flamenco Lounge, 3 CD's of Essential Flamenco Moods. It's not traditional Flamenco and the SQ does vary but the style/mood of this CD set is unique. I have never heard Flamenco played in a new age and sometimes ethereal kind of way. You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions already made on this thread. Enjoy the music.

LeRoy

HoJo Hand
12-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, but just to put things in perspective, since I started this thread:

(4) I have moved twice;

That's not to say I am completely disinterested in flamenco, just much less interested in finding such music as I was at the time. :)

That Steve Stevens song does seem pretty cool, though.

Hahaha yes!!

I was wondering if this board had an archive anymore. Where on earth did this thread come back from?

One of my housemates likes this kind of stuff and is really into Rodrigo y Gabriela lately, which ought to be popular with the prog fans here. Pretty intricate flamenco guitar duets given super-shiny production.

ForeverAutumn
12-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Rodrigo y Gabriela ...which ought to be popular with the prog fans here. Pretty intricate flamenco guitar duets given super-shiny production.

Ah yes indeedy. I have two of their disks and enjoy them very much. :biggrin5: They were recommended to me by by someone here a while back. Sorry that I can't remember who the rec came from.

My only complaint about their newest disk is a few too many effects. I'd much prefer straight up guitar without the soundboard toys.

ForeverAutumn
12-19-2009, 08:32 PM

(4) I have moved twice;

Someone's been a busy boy! :yesnod:

Hard to believe your little one is 3.5 already.