HDMI/AVR question: Will this work? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI/AVR question: Will this work?

billku
09-09-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi, all...

I apologize if this topic has been covered in an earlier thread (my searches have not specifically uncovered anything), but since most AVRs under $1000 do not have hdmi inputs/outputs, will a system arranged as follows function? I have an HD Directv Tivo with HDMI output. I've connected it to my Panasonic TH50PX500U Plasma TV. If I then use the digital audio output from the Panny to an AVR, will I continue to be able to watch video on my HDMi setting and listen to the audio through the AVR? Could there possibly be any sync problems? I haven't purchased an AVR yet, and want to make sure this will work. Otherwise, I may wait until AVRs with HDMI input/output have come down to earth a bit.

Thanks so much in advance!

topspeed
09-09-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm unclear why you would use the optical from your Panny to the AVR. The easiest way is to use the optical output from your DirecTV stb to the AVR. This way it will decode all DD broadcasts. The Panny is simply a monitor. This is, of course, assuming you already have (or are going to buy) a full 5.1/7.1 rig with a dedicated CC. Using your Panny as a CC is a bad, bad idea.

FWIW, unless you have multiple sources with HDMI/DVI outputs (i.e. STB, DVD), you're not really missing anything by not having the latest AVR's with HDMI switching. Kexodusc claims fast action looked better through component video vs. HDMI anyway. Still, you can probably get a Denon 3806, which has HDMI switching, for around $1k street price.

Hope this helps.

edtyct
09-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Topspeed,

Don't forget that Kexo has a CRT set, which stands least to benefit from HDMI or DVI, since its picture is an analog construct. A plasma TV has the potential for a sharper picture using HDMI or DVI, since it can eliminate the D/A conversion that component connection requires. It's not a deal breaker, but for some people with fixed pixel displays, HDMI and DVI can reap visible rewards. Whether HDMI-switching receivers are worth pursuing or waiting for is another story, but dedicated HDMI switches already exist for those with a yen to go all-digital all of the time. I use a DVI switch for digital components connected to LCD projection, and it is an improvement over component.

Ed

billku
09-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks for replying!

I am going to buy a new AVR and speakers, probably 5 speakers plus a subwoofer (I think 5.1 is the way to go -- my living room is roughly 12' x 20'). I'll connect my directv tivo directly to the receiver, that sounds better as I certainly want dolby digital decoding, but, as I asked in my first post, will there be any picture/sound sync issues? It doesn't seem like there should be, but I just want to make sure. Also, I apologize for my naivete, but I'm not sure what "CC" stands for -- is it center channel? As I said above, I'm definitely going to buy a center speaker.

I do have multiple sources -- a DVD player with HDMI out -- but I have an HDMI switcher -- I plug the HD tivo and the DVD into it, and I feed that into the Panny.

Obviously, the HD Tivo is high def, and the DVD player upconverts to 740p or 1080i, so I don't need to convert anything and therefore didn't want to run the video sources through the receiver. I was afraid if I didn't run them through the receiver, however, that I might have sync problems, but you're telling me that's not the case, right?

Again, thanks for all your help...

edtyct
09-09-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't mean to poach on Topspeed's territory, but CC is center channel. You can continue to use the switch for the video sources and run your digital audio directly to the receiver. Sync issues are possible when video undergoes signal processing anywhere along the chain, and a number of components now have an adjustment to combat it. But a switcher doesn't really process anything. It's more like the audio ideal of straight wire with gain. You are more likely to get delay from the satellite receiver if it loops or scales the signal, and doesn't automatically compensate. If you don't notice a problem now, you probably won't notice it later. As I said, I use a DVI switch, and I have no sync problems.

Ed

billku
09-09-2005, 02:27 PM
What about audio processing like dolby digital decoding? Could that cause sync issues?

Again, thanks for the info, by the way...

edtyct
09-09-2005, 02:31 PM
No, you don't have to worry about that.

billku
09-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Then I should be good, as I'm not having any sync issues now. Thanks a mill!

paul_pci
09-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Then I should be good, as I'm not having any sync issues now. Thanks a mill!

Yeah, I run my audio and video from my Driect TV receiver to my Yamaha and then video over to the TV and I've never detected any sync problems.

billku
09-09-2005, 05:50 PM
The difference is I'm not going to run the video through the receiver, only the audio, asI prefer to use my HDMI connection. Which is why I'm asking about sync issues. Hopefully there won't be any.

Yeah, I run my audio and video from my Driect TV receiver to my Yamaha and then video over to the TV and I've never detected any sync problems.

paul_pci
09-10-2005, 04:04 PM
The difference is I'm not going to run the video through the receiver, only the audio, asI prefer to use my HDMI connection. Which is why I'm asking about sync issues. Hopefully there won't be any.

I've done that too and didn't have any sync issues.