Art 351 Equalizer from SVS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Art 351 Equalizer from SVS

Olivertmc
09-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi all:

Recently I noticed that the SVS website offers two equalizers - the Rane and the Art. I am wondering how these equalizer differ from the BFD, and whether they would be a bit easier to work with (since they are designed specifically for this application). I'm pretty unfamiliar with this type of sub tweaking, but am interested in learning more. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

- Olivertmc

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Hi all:

Recently I noticed that the SVS website offers two equalizers - the Rane and the Art. I am wondering how these equalizer differ from the BFD, and whether they would be a bit easier to work with (since they are designed specifically for this application). I'm pretty unfamiliar with this type of sub tweaking, but am interested in learning more. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

- Olivertmc

The Rane is a five filter analog parametric eq. The Art 351 is a 1/3 octave analog graphic eq. . The BFD has twelve filters, operates purely in the digital domain, and is more flexible(but less intuitive)to use for subwoofer applications. It also is a better value for your money at $100, as opposed to the Ranes $399.

Olivertmc
09-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Thanks. I was hoping for some of your guidance on this. With respect to the BFD, I'm pretty happy with my subwoofer right now, a SVS PB-10. Will the BFD make a difference? Obviously, I'm always looking for ways to optimize my system, and I'm wondering if this will only make a difference if I "need" it. Is there a way to determine if I have the "peaks and valleys" that are rectified by the BFD?

JeffKnob
09-09-2005, 11:08 AM
You need to play various test tones through your system and with a SPL meter you can plot out any peaks.

I was told that it made a night and day difference with the BFD. I thought it was an exageration. I bought one and set it up and it really can be a night and day difference. My sub sounds much tighter, cleaner and integrates much better with the rest of the system.

Olivertmc
09-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info. The BFD is reasonably priced, so it is probably worth picking one up and giving it a try.