Infinity RS 9 Kappa Crossover Trouble [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Infinity RS 9 Kappa Crossover Trouble

SAaudiophile
09-08-2005, 06:55 AM
I need some technical assistance please regarding the crossover network of the Infinity Reference Standard 9 Kappa loudspeaker, manufactured in 1989. One unit's rear Emit tweeter isn't working. I tested the tweeter and its working fine, so the problem must be caused by a fault in the crossover network. A diagram of the crossover can be downloaded from:
http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinity/manuals/Kappa_9_technical_sheet.pdf.

The Rear Tweeter circuit of the network consists of 4 components: A Cap, an Inductor, a Resistor and then something that's only labeled as RDE050A. The symbol is that of a resistor with a circle around it. Could anyone please tell me what this component is and what it's role is? I am also curious as to why this component is not used anywhere else in the crossover network - any ideas? I'd appreciate any assistance please!

kexodusc
09-08-2005, 07:54 AM
It's been awhile, but I'm 99% positive it's a Thermistor...basically a circuit protective resistor, kind of like a fuse that turns heat into resistance...
I've never seen one in a speaker's xo before. Interesting.

Edit...I think it might be used here to protect agains initial current rush?

SAaudiophile
09-09-2005, 07:20 AM
It's been awhile, but I'm 99% positive it's a Thermistor...basically a circuit protective resistor, kind of like a fuse that turns heat into resistance...
I've never seen one in a speaker's xo before. Interesting.

Edit...I think it might be used here to protect agains initial current rush?

Thanks - never heard of it. Will investigate further.