Combo Blu-ray/HD-DVD player. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Combo Blu-ray/HD-DVD player.

Smokey
09-08-2005, 05:28 AM
South Korean electronics manufacturer Samsung has announced that it will make a dual-standard next-generation DVD player.

The move comes after the failure of attempts to create a unified format combining Sony's Blu-Ray and the rival Toshiba-backed HD-DVD. Over the past three years both vendors have been highlighting the manufacturers and movie studios supporting their system in a bid to secure the prize of becoming the de facto next-generation DVD format.

Samsung's move appears to be driven by pragmatism. Choi Gee-sung, the company's head of consumer electronics, told the Financial Times: "We would welcome a unified standard, but if this doesn't come, which looks likely, we'll bring a unified solution to market."

The dual-format player is expected sometime next year, and it remains unclear whether it will be a single- or dual-drive machine. A single drive would need both a blue and red laser read head.

Pundits pointed out that Samsung could achieve a price point far below the cost of buying two machines of different formats. Single format machines are predicted to average at around $1,000 in the US.

kexodusc
09-08-2005, 05:44 AM
Great, but the real question is does it play SACD/DVD-A, B, C, and D?

I think it's funny that the players are going to be around before any titles are available.

Smokey
09-08-2005, 05:56 AM
I think it's funny that the players are going to be around before any titles are available.

Either way, it is going to be a case of chicken&egg scenario :)

StanleyMuso
09-08-2005, 04:15 PM
will the machine still have to be connected to a telephone line to function? This is my biggest cause for concern, and I believe this would be shared by many others - our loss of privacy.

westcott
09-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Who cares if they play SACD or DVDA?

Both will probably die on the vine with the higher bandwidth technologies and the blessings of the movie industry for Blueray or HD DVD.

Why do you think both technologies are floundering? Most prudent people have refused to invest in either technology.

You would think we would learn from history, but alas, we continue to make the same mistakes.

Woochifer
09-09-2005, 06:47 PM
And with that phone/internet connection required, you basically have a DIVX player that can ream the customer in two flavors! The format war is only one of the many problems that HD-DVD/Blu-ray have created for themselves before they even launch. The HD video disc ship is already sinking before it even sets sail. A universal player is like handing the captain a Dixie cup and telling him to start bailing the water out.

Smokey
09-10-2005, 01:30 PM
And with that phone/internet connection required, you basically have a DIVX player that can ream the customer in two flavors!

Where did that come from. Does new HD players require phone hook up?

The format war is only one of the many problems that HD-DVD/Blu-ray have created for themselves before they even launch. The HD video disc ship is already sinking before it even sets sail. A universal player is like handing the captain a Dixie cup and telling him to start bailing the water out

I agree that a universal player is not answer to dual format problem, but I wouldn't say that HD video disc are already sinking. With more homes equipped with HD TVs, there will be a demand for HD players. The market will be there, but not sure if new format(s) will be :)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Where did that come from. Does new HD players require phone hook up?

Smoke, currently Bluray has included a key authorization system that require a phone hookup to authenticate the the disc is indeed the real deal, and not a pirated version. If the disc cannot be authenticated, or the player has been altered in any way, they can render your player inoperable. So yes, a phone hookup MAY be required

I agree that a universal player is not answer to dual format problem, but I wouldn't say that HD video disc are already sinking. With more homes equipped with HD TVs, there will be a demand for HD players. The market will be there, but not sure if new format(s) will be :)

If you pay attention to the other A/V websites, most early adopters(by which both formats count on for early support) are not buying into either new formats for several reasons.

1. Incompatibility with their current television. Both formats with only output a HD signal to HDCP protected HDMI inputs. Most television sold before 2005 do not have these inputs. Any signal outputted through the component outputs(which most televisions have) will be downconverted to 480P. This pisses alot of folks off as it renders their investment useless with the new formats.

2. All of the copy protection measures currently discussed makes early adopters nervous about big brother snooping around, and studios being able to defeat the players. Imagine paying $1000 for a player, and then having the studios render it inoperable.

In order to take full advantage of these new formats requires a new player, new receiver, and potentially a new front or rear projector. This is a turn off for many who have already invested big buck into their current system.

StanleyMuso
09-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Smoke, currently Bluray has included a key authorization system that require a phone hookup to authenticate the the disc is indeed the real deal, and not a pirated version. If the disc cannot be authenticated, or the player has been altered in any way, they can render your player inoperable. .... copy protection measures currently discussed makes early adopters nervous about big brother snooping around, and studios being able to defeat the players. Imagine paying $1000 for a player, and then having the studios render it inoperable.
This possibility really upsets me. I can see a lot of innocent people suddenly finding that their new expensive machine is not working through no fault of their own. I have been around electronic gadgets and computers long enough to know that they often misbehave in the most bizzare ways. A power surge, a faulty internet connection, a bit of dirt on the disk, anything ... and a wrong bit of code is sent to big brother, and zap, no more player!!! AND, we are paying for the connection which snoops on us and sabotages our equipment!!!!!

Smokey
09-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Smoke, currently Bluray has included a key authorization system that require a phone hookup to authenticate the the disc is indeed the real deal, and not a pirated version.

Both formats with only output a HD signal to HDCP protected HDMI inputs. Most television sold before 2005 do not have these inputs.

All of the copy protection measures currently discussed makes early adopters nervous about big brother snooping around, and studios being able to defeat the players. Imagine paying $1000 for a player, and then having the studios render it inoperable.

In order to take full advantage of these new formats requires a new player, new receiver, and potentially a new front or rear projector.

Sir TT, I think that is enough bad news to turn off anybody about new format. Especially about the phone hook up and HDMI input. Now I see why Wooch had a point about new format sinking already.

StanleyMuso
09-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Will the monitoring of our viewing habits limit us to a certain number of views only, and then barr further access to the disk from then on? Any one with kids in the house will tell you that some films are watched so often that you get sick of them. Will they need a new verification each and every time the DVD is viewed? What happens if you have owned the disk for a couple of years and come back to view it again - will the verification codes have changed?

I doubt if any of this has been aired by the bluray proponents, but each time I think about it new questions and potential difficulties seem to come up in my mind. I don't know about you, but this aspect of this whole issue disturbs me more than the thought of having to upgrade all my equipment (although I resent that too).

hermanv
09-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Sure looks like it won't be long now - Everything not specifically permitted is prohibited.

The studios are bad enough, but government has to support this nonsense. As you may know, the courts have recently held that you as a developer or seller of a technology or device which a third party could use illegally can be held liable.

Congress is working quickly on a law to shield gun manufacturers.

Please pay very careful attention who it is you vote for in any upcomming election.