Signal (cable) Amplifier [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Signal (cable) Amplifier

zoomingm3
09-06-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm wondering if the Signal Amplifiers you can buy at Radio Shack, Walmart, etc really work? Presently our home has eleven (11) cable connection provisions with six (6) of them being used. I just purchased a DLP TV and I want to be sure I'm getting the best possible signal, is it worth purchasing one of these amplifiers?

Thanks

L.J.
09-06-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm wondering if the Signal Amplifiers you can buy at Radio Shack, Walmart, etc really work? Presently our home has eleven (11) cable connection provisions with six (6) of them being used. I just purchased a DLP TV and I want to be sure I'm getting the best possible signal, is it worth purchasing one of these amplifiers?

Thanks

I used the one from the Shack. It did absolutely nothing. I gave mine away to a friend. Who knows your case may be different. Try one out and return it if your not happy.

edtyct
09-06-2005, 06:08 PM
I haven't heard good things about the Radio Shack; for one thing, it isn't bi-directional. Motorola supposedly makes a good signal booster, but it's not as cheap. You might also try your cable company for a recommendation, or even for one to use. With the number of splits that you're doing, an amplifier would appear to be a good purchase. But don't forget to cap the splits that aren't in use. Open ones can cause signal loss.

eisforelectronic
09-07-2005, 08:12 PM
I haven't heard good things about the Radio Shack; for one thing, it isn't bi-directional. Motorola supposedly makes a good signal booster, but it's not as cheap. You might also try your cable company for a recommendation, or even for one to use. With the number of splits that you're doing, an amplifier would appear to be a good purchase. But don't forget to cap the splits that aren't in use. Open ones can cause signal loss.

Absolutely, make sure you put 75ohm terminators on any unused outlets. Call your cable company and request a service call to check the signals, they may charge you for the amplifier though. I wouldn't put an amp in if there's no problem though.