Stupid Tuesday Thread [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Tuesday Thread

Davey
09-06-2005, 01:22 PM
So what ... kind of stupid stuff have you been listening to since we last talked?

I've been listening some to that Mountain Goats Sunset Tree this past weekend and that's pretty fun.

Also really like that recent Editors debut, but it hasn't quite gotten to the point where it sounds very distinctive yet. Good band, even if that sound is getting close to the saturation point for me right now. Some Echo & The Bunnymen mixed with all the rest of the now pretty common post punk new wave sludge. Kind of edgy and brash though, which is nice.

Just saw that the UK band Miracle Mile has a new one coming out next month called Glow. Anyone heard them? Should be really nice. Looking forward to it but don't know if it'll get a US release or not. They've only been sporadically available over here, kind of like the Animals That Swim and Shack and some of the other good English pop bands of the last decade.

http://www.rainsound.net/pix/glow_cover_150.jpg

And I did listen to both of those this past week. Can't stop playing that Shack Waterpistol CD. A collection of real gems. And the Animals That Swim really is a collection, a 2004 retrospective titled Faded Glamour that covers their career from beginning to end. Very good stuff.

And also got in a listen to my latest Light So Dim comp which I like a lot. And pulled out a recent Sloshy comp, can't remember the name but it has some Super Furries and Malkmus and bunch of other good stuff on it. And one of Mike's recent ones that I like a lot.

And some of the new Okkervil River Black Sheep Boy, which I like but haven't managed yet to get all the way through.

And got in a listen to Andrew Bird's latest which I have listened to all the way through countless times, and still love it. And it's still album of the year for me.

And you?

Swish
09-06-2005, 01:32 PM
You mean like having your teeth pulled? Your eyes poked out? Ok, I guess some of the songs have an upbeat feel, but the subject matter is pretty friggin' depressing.

I had a large gang over for a family picnic yesterday, so I had to keep the music sorta tame. We have a nice large tiled patio outside our walk-out basement, and I have some outdoor speaker for their listenting pleasure. On my 5 CD changer I had the following:

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
Fresh Brew IV - My latest coffee shop comp
Joan Armatrading - Something Real
Milton - Scenes From the Interior

Swish Daddy

Davey
09-06-2005, 02:10 PM
You mean like having your teeth pulled? Your eyes poked out? Ok, I guess some of the songs have an upbeat feel, but the subject matter is pretty friggin' depressing.
Hehehe, yeah, you know me, you almost have to drag my cold dead body through the listening room before I call it depressing :)

I didn't mention it today, but the biggest listen for me recently has been that new Richmond Fontaine album, The Fitzgerald. And it is kind of depressing. But I really love it. That Willie Vlautin guy has a way with the words, that much is for certain. Really drags me along with those sad stories. And also been spending a bunch of heavy time with that Three Mile Pilot The Chief Assassin to the Sinister album, and you know if they were the genesis for the Black Heart Procession, they must be kind of dark and melancholy.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/review_images/three_mile_pilot.jpg

Slosh
09-06-2005, 02:40 PM
So what ... kind of stupid stuff have you been listening to since we last talked? I've been listening to DCfC - Plans a lot lately. Very twee but very catchy. I've already earmarked "Where Soul & Body Meet" for my 2005 YEC. ;) I planned (ehem) on getting the LP but couldn't pass up the CD for just $8.00 new (well-recorded too). I've also been spinning AmAnSet - Know By Heart a bunch too. Pretty nice stuff except I wish they'de develope their songs a bit more. They kinda just taper off sometimes. And I seem to be finding new things in Love Kraft every time I spin it.

Other:
Pretty Girls Make Graves - s/t
Kid Dakota - So Pretty
Stephen Malkmus - s/t and Face The Truth
Shack - Waterpistol
Oxes - s/t and Oxxxes
Cursive - The Ugly Organ
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
Sixteen Horsepower - Folklore
Ugly Casanova - Sharpen Your Teeth
BeAtles - Rubber Soul and Revolver
Sparklehorse - Good Morning, Spider and It's A Wonderful Life
Fruit Bats - Spelled In Bones

Ah hell, I can't remember the rest.

tugmcmartin
09-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Lots of the same stuff for me... though i did come across a couple of new albums worth mentioning.

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cold Roses. Wow! Where has this one been hiding. Great stuff. Not a single tune in the 18 that i felt like skipping. Can't wait for part two of this effort which is supposed to release the end of the month.

Alexi Murdoch - Four Songs. An EP of four songs, so the album is perhaps the most appropriately titled one i've ever seen. Pretty good mellow acoustic folk rock type stuff. The song that made me want to buy it is "Orange Sky" which it turns out was in the VW Jetta commercials a couple years ago where there's a few people going to party late at night and i think there was another where they were driving along the shore somewhere. Great tune... all 6 minutes of it. The other 3 are good too.

Among other listens:
Assembly of Dust - The Honest Hour
Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic
The Shins - Oh Inverted World
Clem Snide - End of Love
Blue Merle - Burning in the Sun

Tug

Davey
09-06-2005, 04:34 PM
So what ... kind of stupid stuff have you been listening to since we last talked?
I've been listening to DCfC - Plans a lot lately. Very twee but very catchy.
I didn't know that grown men were listening to that. Very interesting ... they are getting pretty popular with the kids, huh? Last one I bought was We Have The Facts, but I think it was you that sent me a copy of Transatlanticism, and it does sound good, but never quite stuck with me. Guess I just didn't give it enough of a chance since I didn't have anything invested. I do that sometimes ;)

ForeverAutumn
09-06-2005, 04:39 PM
I was listening to my iPod on shuffle a lot last week. So I listened to a little bit of a lot of things.

CDs that I listened to in full include:

Death Cab for Cutie - Plans - Not as interesting as Transatlanticism so far, but still growing on me. I was thinking about seeing this band in October. By the time that I'd made the decision to go, the damn thing was sold out. (sorry Bill. Please don't be mad at me.) :(

The Shout Out Louds - Howl, Howl, Gaff, Gaff - After only four spins, I'm liking this one a lot. The second half of the disk seems a little more appealing to me than the first half.

Lighthouse - Best of - An old Canadian favourite. They appeared on a local morning show and inspired me to pull this disk off the shelf.

Styx - Equinox

audiobill
09-06-2005, 05:45 PM
This Stupid Tuesday, an the stoooopid week prior, I've been listening to several new CDs.

The highlight for me is by an old-timer who just put out, imho, one of the best discs of his entire career: Van Morrison's "Magic Time".
It has all the lovely vocalizations and multi-genred nuances that those of us who love his earlier music, sans Them, really really love.
Don't walk............run & get this one.

Others:

Ween - Shinola Vol.1
Spoon - Gimme Fiction
Frank Black - Honeycomb
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!!
M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us

A great week in new-to-me, music,

Bill

audiobill
09-06-2005, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=tugmcmartin]

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cold Roses. Wow! Where has this one been hiding. Great stuff. Not a single tune in the 18 that i felt like skipping. Can't wait for part two of this effort which is supposed to release the end of the month.
QUOTE]

Agreed, in full, Tug -- outstanding album.

tentoze
09-06-2005, 07:28 PM
I haven't picked up anything new in almost a month, and what I've been listening to has been mosly twangy vinyl lately, so I won't bother to list any of it.

Dusty Chalk
09-06-2005, 08:37 PM
In The Nursery, Hindle Wakes
Matt Elliott, The Mess We Made & Drinking Songs (& 3EF's OuMuPo Vol. 1)
Jean-Michel Jarre, Metamorphoses

MindGoneHaywire
09-06-2005, 08:46 PM
I was at a wedding/BBQ on Sunday & the host had a collection that knocked my socks off. I have a lot of it, but am missing quite a few key cuts. It's a 'roots of rock and roll' collection, well, actually, that's the title of it. 3 CDs on Rhino, from last year, and I was totally unaware of it. It works really well because of its diversity. I have a ton of pre-rock R&B collections & I love all of 'em, but to listen to 'em, you'd forget that hillbilly music had something to do with rock'n'roll...and the reverse is true as well, although I don't have as much of that country stuff from that era as I do the R&B. In any case, the hits kept coming, and if a song's not a hit, there's something wrong with it, as a friend once said.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE47B16DF4EAF7E20D7812F54CCB161E006D163 F4971D6E584792B63E45910077F35BF49B98F5B67CAB7CB0FD 2EA45F43D1C0EE53F6D8632D5DF0&sql=10:k96htr8tkl1x

Outside of that, nothing really new over the past couple of weeks. Same old same old in these parts. The Ditty Bops, Billie Holiday, the Ramones, the Cardigans' Life, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Costello, James Brown, David Johansen, Bebel Gilberto, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Randy, NRBQ and a bunch more. I expect some new stuff to hit my doorstop sometime in the next couple of days. After which I'll throw a bunch of stuff on that I find that I like (to go along with the stuff that I don't) for 30 seconds, put it in the 'good' pile, and it may never be heard again. I really hate how this works. I have to force myself to listen to this stuff. It's like work, or something.

But I will say that I did force myself to start listening, really listening, to Jack70s Timeasheen comps. Some cuts I like more than others, but, really, I think I got as far as Vol. 4 in one sitting & didn't hear one thing I felt compelled to skip. I'll be hitting this in more depth, hopefully tomorrow, and I'll definitely be posting more in the way of specifics when I'm able. Of course, with some of these it may be tough, considering that some of the track names & even the band names aren't always available, but that's rare, and I'm not sure how much Norwegian prog I'm going to enjoy, but we'll find out, now, won't we.

Davey
09-06-2005, 10:31 PM
I didn't say too much about it in the first post, but this new Mountain Goats CD is really knocking me out. I know that a few others around here have already spread the news about this mesmerizing album, but I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon and join the party and get with the crowd before they move on. Listened to it a lot over the weekend and it is kind of contagious, and contrary to my good buddy Swish Daddy, it's a fun record to listen to, with lots of clever wordsmithing to go with the imaginative music. But like S Daddy says, it is highly emotional subject matter for the most part because it deals with a lot of hurt left from his childhood and abusive father. What a great album though. I just can't stop listening. Lots of ups and downs, and zigs and zags, and overs and unders. Gotta say thanks to Mike for turning me on to this special album. It's got one of those cool tree covers too :)

Slosh
09-06-2005, 11:31 PM
I didn't know that grown men were listening to that.
You think I'm a grown men :confused:

Kaboom
09-07-2005, 04:21 AM
not so much REAL listening lately since i'm supposed to be studying for my exams at the moment, but i've been playing...
Jefferson Airplane Crown of Creation
the Who, Quadrophenia
Yes, The yes album, going for the one, drama
Pink Floyd The final cut, DSOTM, wish you were here, Animals, the Wall
AC/DC Back in Black
the Beatles. Abbey road, let it be, The white album
Jeff Beck. Wired, Blow by Blow
Marillion. Fugazi, Script for a jester's tear
Dover I was dead for seven weeks in the city of angels
Joan Manuel Serrat, Mediterraneo
Bad Religion. No control, Process of Belief
Green Day. American idiot, Nimrod
Genesis. Trespass
Duke Ellington. Duke's Big Four
Oscar Peterson Exclusively for my friends.

I think that rounds it up nicely.
Cheers!

Mike
09-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Mostly mellow stuff from me

Animals That Swim - Best Of
Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft
Bedouin Soundclash - Sounding A Mosaic
DCFC - Plans
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Nickel Creek - Why Should The Fire Die

I'll have to check out that band Miracle Mile you mention Dave they sound interesting

Cheers
Mike

Finch Platte
09-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Oh, you mean we're not talking about YECH?

Adrian Belew's Side One
A Perfect Circle- eMOTIVe (cool concept, bad excecution)
Under The Influence- A Jam Band Tribute To Lynyrd Skynyrd
Abandoned Pools- The Reverb EP (finally something new from these guys!)
Monitor This compilation
30 Seconds To Mars- A Beautiful Lie (much more stripped-down than their debut. It's a grower)
The Magic Numbers- Forever Lost (2 song EP w/ one good song :p )
The Black Eyed Peas- Monkey Business (after the song I'd heard on the radio, I thought this would be poppier than it is)
Different Strokes by Different Folks ...Sly and the Family Stone hits w/ various artists: Buddy Guy, Maroon 5, John Mayer, Joss Stone, etc. Pretty rappy.
Dredg- Catch Without Arms (singer grates)
Spock's Beard- Feel Euphoria (first release after N. Morse left. Don't know, yet. I'll play this super-loud when YECH is outside teepeeing my house)

fp

Edit: Oh, yeah. The Decemberists- The Tain. Why??? Why did I spend $8 for this 18 minute slice of dreck?

Mr MidFi
09-07-2005, 07:32 AM
I've spun so much stuff in the past week that I couldn't even remember 1/10th of it now. But it doesn't really matter, it's largely the same stuff I'm always listening to. A couple things worth mentioning, though:

1. British Sea Power - Open Season. My first impression of this one was, er, close but no cigar. It didn't grab me at the start, and didn't work hard enough to change my mind after the first couple of tracks. But now that I've listened about 5 times, I'm starting to come around. There's some really good stuff on this disc, even if you do have to play it a few times to find it. Thumbs up.

2. Whiskeytown - Stranger's Almanac. Seeing Ryan Adams discussed above, I had to make mention of this early Whiskeytown disc. Kinda hard to find it these days, but well worth the effort. Some may find it a little too country-ish in spots, but I've always dug it. Solid songcraft througout, and a well-recorded album to boot.

nobody
09-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Been listening to a bunch of reggae lately...

<b>Toots and the Mytals: Funky Kingston
Black Uhuru: Red
Culture: 2 Sevens Clash</b>
along with a few more...

Agree with the praise for <b>Ryan Adams: Cold Roses</b>. I listen to this one a lot these days and like it more over time. One of my favorites from the year so far.

Also spun <b>Beck: Sea Change</b> for the first time in a while and enjoyed it greatly.

Plyed an old funk gem from <b>Buddy Miles</b> called <b>Message to the People</b> that I don't think ever made it to CD, but is fantastic, if you like that 70 funk/rock vibe.

Also really enjoyed a CD of <b>Brahms</b> violin sonotas, put out by EMI as part of their Great Recordings of the century series, which I have a couple other things from that I have enjoyed.

Spent a day listening to <b>The Drifters</b> and <b>The Platters</b> a bit ago, which made for a really nice afternoon.

<b>The White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan</b> has been getting a lot of play in bursts when I'm in the car lately.

I'm forgetting stuff I'm sure, but that's a bunch of it.

nobody
09-07-2005, 09:47 AM
The Black Eyed Peas- Monkey Business (after the song I'd heard on the radio, I thought this would be poppier than it is)

fp

So...how is it? I know they take a lot of crap, but personally I find them to be way more interesting musically than most hip hop groups these days. I really liked their last one.

Slosh
09-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Agree with the praise for <b>Ryan Adams: Cold Roses</b>. I listen to this one a lot these days and like it more over time. One of my favorites from the year so far.So how does this compare to Heartbreaker? I like that one a bunch. Have it on 180 gram vinyl and SACD even. Then when Gold came out I checked it out of the library but other than a couple of songs here and there I found it mind-numbingly boring so Heartbreaker remains my only Ryan Adams album.

NP: Grandaddy - Concrete Dunes

Swish
09-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I didn't say too much about it in the first post, but this new Mountain Goats CD is really knocking me out. I know that a few others around here have already spread the news about this mesmerizing album, but I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon and join the party and get with the crowd before they move on. Listened to it a lot over the weekend and it is kind of contagious, and contrary to my good buddy Swish Daddy, it's a fun record to listen to, with lots of clever wordsmithing to go with the imaginative music. But like S Daddy says, it is highly emotional subject matter for the most part because it deals with a lot of hurt left from his childhood and abusive father. What a great album though. I just can't stop listening. Lots of ups and downs, and zigs and zags, and overs and unders. Gotta say thanks to Mike for turning me on to this special album. It's got one of those cool tree covers too :)

which is so often the case. He actually dedicates the CD to him in the liner notes with something like "May you find the peace in death that you never found in life".

Your fact checkin' cuz.

S Daddy

nobody
09-07-2005, 01:52 PM
So how does this compare to Heartbreaker? I like that one a bunch. Have it on 180 gram vinyl and SACD even. Then when Gold came out I checked it out of the library but other than a couple of songs here and there I found it mind-numbingly boring so Heartbreaker remains my only Ryan Adams album.

NP: Grandaddy - Concrete Dunes

I really like Heartbreaker a lot too. It's one of my favorite albums in that style.

I'd say Cold Roses is his best since that stunning debut, although it doesn't surpass it. It is stylistically, more similar to Heartbreaker than any of his other albums. It's got the same rootsy, country-rock vibe throughout. I think there is maybe a bit more variation to the songs on Heartbreaker and a couple more catchy moments to latch onto. If Cold Roses suffers from anything, its a bit too much of the same thing throughout, although the more you listen, the more the subtler variations start to stand out.

If you're a vinyl fan, Cold Roses comes in a great 2 LP, embossed Gatefold set with a really good extra track at the end (a more uptempo, rocking type of song that is really a good addition and seems to me would have made the cut over other tracks on the CD). Sound is very good. If you like Ryan Adams and vinyl, I'd really say its close to a must-have set.

Mike
09-08-2005, 02:01 AM
I'd say Cold Roses is his best since that stunning debut, although it doesn't surpass it.

I'd have to agree with that it's his best for a long time. Although I also like his more poppier releases such as Gold, Demolition and even Rock n Roll which got blasted by most preople. His work with Whiskeytown is still the best with me I just find all those albums are timeless.

I'm a big Ryan Adams fan in spite of all the flack he gets. I don't read much about him but I do enjoy his music, but from what I have read he's pretty obnoxious and a pain in the arse at times.

One thing though I wish he would be more selective in his output. Take for example his latest, trim it down to say 12 songs and it would make a far better album IMO. On top of that I spotted he has yet another release due in late September with the Cardinals entitled Jacksonville City Nights.

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
09-08-2005, 06:21 AM
I spotted he has yet another release due in late September with the Cardinals entitled Jacksonville City Nights.

Cheers
Mike

I believe that he's supposed to have three releases scheduled for 2005. Since Cold Roses was a double disk, I'm not sure whether that would count for two out of the three or whether we should expect yet another release at the end of the year.

Mike
09-08-2005, 07:28 AM
I believe that he's supposed to have three releases scheduled for 2005. Since Cold Roses was a double disk, I'm not sure whether that would count for two out of the three or whether we should expect yet another release at the end of the year.

Ah yes that rings a bell I remember reading somewhere he was having a busy year.

On another note FA you still enjoying the Kaiser Chiefs? they just missed out on the Mercury Prize recently which was a shame. If you still like them another UK band you might like are Maximo Park with the album Certain Trigger worth checking out if you get the chance.

Ooh and I almost forgot - I like Sister Hazel too!

Cheers
Mike

Slosh
09-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback about Cold Roses, guys. One of my friends has most of the Ryan Adams albums so I'll see if she has the new one too. Hopefully she does and I'll get to testdrive it before spending any money :)

NP: Light So Dim - you know, that new comp by Davey So Dim :p

Davey
09-10-2005, 07:57 AM
NP: Light So Dim - you know, that new comp by Davey So Dim :p
What, are you like twelve? Ha ha hey, I was wondering what some of you big Pavement fans thought of that treatment that the Tindersticks gave to "Here" on that latest in the Davey So Dim series of comps? Swish Daddy? Jar? Anybody listened to the whole comp yet without dozing off? I love it, but I'm not really sure if it's just because I've always loved the song and always loved the Tindersticks and so even if it sucked, I'd probably love it. Ya know?

NP: Matt Elliott - The Mess We Made - kind of a nice sound for a weekend morning, with some of that same feel I like about the modern neo-classical albums by the likes of Rachel's and Roger Eno, with the classical acoustic guitars, and some ethereal cello weaving the backdrop, one of Dusty's more sublime recs that almost sounds like it was recorded in a church at times with the backing vocals and the highly ambient mix, especially on the amazing closer "Forty Days", very nice

Slosh
09-10-2005, 09:28 AM
What, are you like twelve? Ha ha hey, I was wondering what some of you big Pavement fans thought of that treatment that the Tindersticks gave to "Here" on that latest in the Davey So Dim series of comps?I didn't even realize that it was a Pavement cover. Guess I'm not a big fan and now that I think of it Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is the only Pavement album I've listened to in the course of a year or so. Sometimes I think the Tindersticks' vox are completely bloody brilliant; sometimes I can't stop myself from hitting the >> button. Ah well, fickle matter :)

That's one somber comp you got there but when I'm in the right frame of mind it's golden.

Have you heard any of the Rob Crow stuff. I like the music a lot but he's sooo out of the closet. And there's no way in hell I can bring myself to buy a Goblin Cock album (even if the music is to my liking).

Dusty Chalk
09-10-2005, 11:11 AM
NP: Matt Elliott - The Mess We Made - kind of a nice sound for a weekend morning, with some of that same feel I like about the modern neo-classical albums by the likes of Rachel's and Roger Eno, with the classical acoustic guitars, and some ethereal cello weaving the backdrop, one of Dusty's more sublime recs that almost sounds like it was recorded in a church at times with the backing vocals and the highly ambient mix, especially on the amazing closer "Forty Days", very niceYeah, doesn't it just get better and better with repeated listens? Right now my favourite track is "Also Ran". Just majestic.

Davey
09-10-2005, 11:18 AM
I didn't even realize that it was a Pavement cover. Guess I'm not a big fan and now that I think of it Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is the only Pavement album I've listened to in the course of a year or so. Sometimes I think the Tindersticks' vox are completely bloody brilliant; sometimes I can't stop myself from hitting the >> button. Ah well, fickle matter :)
Yeah, Stuart Staples isn't a voice for the masses. But then again, neither is Robert Fisher (Willard Grant Conspiracy) or David Eugene Edwards (16 Horsepower/Woven Hand) or Nick Cave or Max D�charn� (Flaming Stars) or Scott Walker or any of those other deep voiced crooners ;)

That's one somber comp you got there but when I'm in the right frame of mind it's golden.
It did wind up pretty much the way I wanted it too when I first started thinking about it, even though it did go through a lot of changes over that time, but you're right, it is pretty somber, and some of the songs are kind of long too. But what can I say, we make comps to please ourselves first. And if somebody else hears something they like too, well, that's all icing :)

Have you heard any of the Rob Crow stuff. I like the music a lot but he's sooo out of the closet. And there's no way in hell I can bring myself to buy a Goblin Cock album (even if the music is to my liking).
Nah, haven't heard it, but the cover does make one wonder ...

ForeverAutumn
09-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Ah yes that rings a bell I remember reading somewhere he was having a busy year.

On another note FA you still enjoying the Kaiser Chiefs? they just missed out on the Mercury Prize recently which was a shame. If you still like them another UK band you might like are Maximo Park with the album Certain Trigger worth checking out if you get the chance.

Ooh and I almost forgot - I like Sister Hazel too!

Cheers
Mike

Finally! Someone else admits to liking Sister Hazel. :D

The Kaiser Chiefs are still in regular rotation. I haven't been able to get them out of my car player since I first listened to them. So they are spun, on average, once out of every 6 CDs. Thanks for the rec on Maximo Park. I will definately check them out.

Davey
09-11-2005, 08:40 AM
If you still like them another UK band you might like are Maximo Park with the album Certain Trigger worth checking out if you get the chance.
I've been meaning to thank you for sending me a copy of that to try out, so thanks, but don't you find the sound on some of these type CDs just too overbearing? I really haven't been able to give the Maximo Park a good listen because it just sounds so loud and compressed and relentless to me that I wind up switching to something else pretty quick. You barely have to turn the volume knob and it's in your face. The Editors is kind of the same way (and so is Bloc Party and a bunch of others) but I like the music more so guess I cut it more slack, but the sound of the Editors and Bloc Party irritates me pretty quickly as well. I just wish they would back off a little and use some sense when recording and mastering these things. Maybe if they went back and actually listened to the original versions of some of those old post punk new wave classics that they're trying to emulate, they'd realize that music doesn't need to sound so relentlessly loud to get through to some of us. Oh well, guess it's just a lost cause, but it's just such a shame that so much good new music (and reissued old music too) is being ruined (at least for some of us) because of a silly loudness race that has gone very very very wrong for the last decade or so. Sorry for the mini-rant ;)

Swish
09-11-2005, 08:54 AM
What, are you like twelve? Ha ha hey, I was wondering what some of you big Pavement fans thought of that treatment that the Tindersticks gave to "Here" on that latest in the Davey So Dim series of comps? Swish Daddy? Jar? Anybody listened to the whole comp yet without dozing off? I love it, but I'm not really sure if it's just because I've always loved the song and always loved the Tindersticks and so even if it sucked, I'd probably love it. Ya know?

NP: Matt Elliott - The Mess We Made - kind of a nice sound for a weekend morning, with some of that same feel I like about the modern neo-classical albums by the likes of Rachel's and Roger Eno, with the classical acoustic guitars, and some ethereal cello weaving the backdrop, one of Dusty's more sublime recs that almost sounds like it was recorded in a church at times with the backing vocals and the highly ambient mix, especially on the amazing closer "Forty Days", very nice

but that's prolly 'cause I'm a Tindersticks fan. It's certainly a very different version that the original on Slanted and Enchanted, but pretty cool of them to do it. I already had about half the tunes on your Light So Dim comp (Televsion, Willard Gran, Wayne Robbins, The Flaming Stars, Joy Division, Songs:Ohia, and Andrew Bird. Ok that's 7 out of 15), but I'm prolly gonna hafta buy a few more cds after hearing a few of the tracks I don't have. Thank you very much.

Swish

Swish
09-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Finally! Someone else admits to liking Sister Hazel. :D

The Kaiser Chiefs are still in regular rotation. I haven't been able to get them out of my car player since I first listened to them. So they are spun, on average, once out of every 6 CDs. Thanks for the rec on Maximo Park. I will definately check them out.

I'm really digging this one and kept it in my car's CD changer after pulling the other 5 that were in there. This one's a keeper.

Grassyass,
Swish