Suggestions for upgrade path [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for upgrade path

Jim Clark
09-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Been doing a major overhaul on my combined HT/audio system and I'm at a fork in the road. Currently I'm using my Denon 3802 as a pre/pro and am back to using an Onkyo DX 7211 CDP (no digital out). What should I upgrade next if music is the most important thing to me?

a. go for a dedicated pre (probably either a used Anthem AVM30, used Sunfire Cinema Grand IV, or new Outlaw 990)

b. Buy a new CDP (probably a gently used Jolida 100A -I'm thinking that a tubed player may hold some appeal)

c. Buy a DAC, again used, probably with a tube stage but I know less about DACs than anything else here (I'd use a modded Pioneer DV 525 as a transport in the meantime)

Speakers are Von Schwiekert VR4 jr's and the amp is a Sunfire Cinema Grand if that makes any difference to anyone. Don't feel constrained by my own initial preferences if you have "the answer".

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

jc

Jim Clark
09-07-2005, 08:26 AM
This topic didn't exactly qualify for post of the year so I'll pull the plug and put it out of it's misery. In the end it came down to the AN 1.1 DAC kit and the Jolida mainly since it's cheaper than doing a new pre. FWIW I went with a new Jolida 100a CDP although I think either would have been a good move. Got one L of a deal on a new unit and if it's any good at all I'll post a follow up in the event anyone else has interest.

jc

topspeed
09-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the update Jim. It sounds like you're having a lot of fun right now :D. How do you like the jr's so far?

dean_martin
09-07-2005, 11:54 AM
This topic didn't exactly qualify for post of the year so I'll pull the plug and put it out of it's misery. In the end it came down to the AN 1.1 DAC kit and the Jolida mainly since it's cheaper than doing a new pre. FWIW I went with a new Jolida 100a CDP although I think either would have been a good move. Got one L of a deal on a new unit and if it's any good at all I'll post a follow up in the event anyone else has interest.

jc

I'm definitely interested in your experience with the Jolida cdp. I've been listening to a lot of vinyl lately and avoiding my cd player which means I've got lots of cds sittin' around doin' nothin'.

Jim Clark
09-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the update Jim. It sounds like you're having a lot of fun right now :D. How do you like the jr's so far?

They aren't even here yet :mad:

They dealer got my check last Friday and with the Holiday and all, well, who knows? He told me they were to go out yesterday or today so hopefully I'll hear soon. I found a used LCR 15 in the same finish and that check went out yesterday. Eventually I'll have something to listen to. I hope.

jc