Which Seperates to use for Energy C-9 Speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which Seperates to use for Energy C-9 Speakers?

NapaValleyHT
09-02-2005, 09:47 AM
I hope someone can help me out. My current home theater consists of (4) C-9 floorstanding speakers and the C-1 center channel. (I only bought the C-9s for the rears cause they were cheeper that the surround speakers, gotta love year end clearance!)
I am looking for a good amp and processor. I plan on only running 5.1. The combo needs to be in the 2k range. I have been looking at Outlaw and if I want to spend a few more $$ Rotel. Any thoughts.

Thanks,

Kurt

edtyct
09-04-2005, 05:04 AM
Hi Kurt,

I've been a separates person all of my adult life, so I wouldn't want to dissuade you from going that route. But separates at 2k aren't in plentiful supply (except maybe on the used market), and might offer questionable advantages, all-told, over a couple of receivers that have the values and pedigree of separates at your price, new. The Arcam AVR300 is a geat receiver made by a great audiophile and videophile company. No one who's auditioned it in my experience comes away disappointed, and most buy it. The Rotel RSX-1067 also has that kind of reputation, for about $2,200. If it offers more functionality than you need, the RSX-1065 at about $1300 might be an alternative. Rotel rates its power conservatively, but it can drive with the best of them. But as high-sensitivity and high-impedance designs, the Energies don't present a difficult load, anyway. What you'd be giving up with a receiver is purchasing flexibility down the road and perhaps that last dollop of finesse and clean power that separates can bring to their distinct functions--which may or may not be evident to a listener in every situation--but as I said, as you go down the scale in price, those benefits lose a bit of their sway. The Arcam and the Rotel don't have any sonic flaws that would detract from compatibility, and by all accounts, the Energies don't need extra help to sound good. I don't see how either combination could fail. Good luck.

Ed

L.J.
09-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Kurt,

I got the same setup as you. Except Im using C-R1 surrounds. Im running everything off a Denon 2805 and it all sounds great. I'm gonna retire my 2805 to bedroom duty soon so I'll be in the market for a AVR. I'm only looking to spend about $1200 and I'm sure I wont need to spend anymore than that to get good sound from these babies. Heck, I sat down and did some serious listening yesterday and I dont know if my C-9's could sound any better. Seems like the AVR vs. Seperates battle has been the talk around here lately and I've been following closely. I guess it all comes down to personal choice, like everything else. I think Ed hit it right on, I dont see how either combination could fail. I finally gotta chance to pull out some old CD's this weekend and WOW, their good speakers. Enjoy the music.

N. Abstentia
09-04-2005, 09:40 AM
It shouldn't be a problem at all to get seperates for $2k.

Start with the Outlaw 990 preamp at $1100, leaving $900 for an amp. Being in the same boat as you, I've been watching the used market for amps and picked up a 6 channel Rotel for $350.

So you can do seperates for $2k no problem. I'd definitely go that route before spending $2k for an all-in-one receiver.

GMichael
09-04-2005, 09:47 AM

Start with the Outlaw 990 preamp at $1100, leaving $900 for an amp. Being in the same boat as you, I've been watching the used market for amps and picked up a 6 channel Rotel for $350.

So you can do seperates for $2k no problem. I'd definitely go that route before spending $2k for an all-in-one receiver.

Hey N.Ab,

How is you new HT room coming? I haven't seen any pics for a while now.

NapaValleyHT
09-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the info. Where is a good, honest place on the web to buy a used amp like what you mentioned below. Since I have the pre-outs, I might buy the amp first is I find the right deal.

-Kurt

N. Abstentia
09-06-2005, 10:39 AM
GM, the room is coming along nicely actually, despite the lack of pictures! There's mainly work going on inside right now, doing the electricity, lights, a/c unit, and tearing down the old outside walls which will now be the inside walls. Nothing worth taking pictures of, but progress is still happening. Since we're doing most of the work ourselves (other than the major stuff) we just have to do it when everyone gets time. I think we'll be done by the end of the month. Once we pass electrical inpection (tomorrow morning) then we will be trucking...sheetrock and outer siding should be done by the end of the week we're home free! Man I hate to paint.

NapaValley, I got my Rotel from Ebay actually. I looked for a long time and actually bought two amps, the Rotel I'm using and a Carver which was $150 and I couldn't pass it up. I had Carver stuff back in the day. Both are great amps, and both sellers were great. The odd thing I noticed about people selling ht gear on Ebay is that very few had 100% feedback! Seems strange....

You can also check out Audiogon.com which has a nice classifieds section but is usually higher end gear.