Anyone buying these cover albums? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buying these cover albums?

Mr Peabody
09-01-2005, 07:03 PM
I can't really blame this on Metallica because it seems like a pretty long period of time elapsed before this making albums of covers really caught on and theirs turned out not so bad. In my opinion "cover albums" is one, or maybe 2, steps below a Greatest Hits album. What does a band have left when they start covering other peoples stuff totally? You are a bar band again! But because of their old reputation they sucker people into buying. Now Ozzy joins bands like Rush and Styx on the covers wagon. But, WOW!, Ozzy's is a duel disc with a DVD of Ozzy doing an interview while he eats a meal. oooooo

Are covers albums the next evolution after the stupid tribute albums?

Sometimes if a band is really talented or inventive they can pull off doing a cover by making the song their own. I can't remember which song Arrested Development done on that "has been" show where they brought back all the old 80's bands but that is a good example of what I mean. They took the song and re-worked it, very well I must say. That was the first, and the last, time I watched that show by the way. I also thought Robert Plant done a good job on his cover of Darkness Darkness. That's from another album of covers, isn't it?

Just as Hollywood has run out of good ideas and has to make movies from old TV programs or redo a perfectly fine older movie, now the music biz has stooped to re-recording some one elses work. Are drugs finally taking their tole on America or are we just this damn lazy? And who is worse, the artists who do it or the ones who buy it?

When reading this back I sound like Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde but I was trying to make a point and all the time I was I kept thinking of cover songs I like, so did I make a point? Hmmmm

Dusty Chalk
09-01-2005, 10:11 PM
I love covers, but I have to admit that this is getting rather Bandwagonesque. I mean, c'mon, Styx? Ozzy? I didn't even like his live Sabbath collection -- it just sounded like him playing Sabbath tunes with another guitarist other than Iommi (sorry, nothing against Randy Rhodes, he was just meant to play original material, IMHO -- and killer original material at that).

RUSH?!?!? That one just plain sucked.

They better be introducing something new to the mix, otherwise save it for the bootlegs.

nobody
09-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Yeah, I like covers, but entire albums of them seem a bit much to me. I never really got into the whole tribute album thing, so I guess the idea of entire records of covers just doesn't really do it for me. Still, I love some covers out there. This reminds me...I wanna go play Grace Jones's version of Private Life.

N. Abstentia
09-02-2005, 05:48 AM
Nobody does covers better than Primus/Les Claypool. Miscellaneous Debris is killer, and Les Claypools Frog Brigades LIVE cover of the ENTIRE Pink Floyd Animals album is quite stirring.

BinFrog
09-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Nobody does covers better than Primus/Les Claypool. Miscellaneous Debris is killer, and Les Claypools Frog Brigades LIVE cover of the ENTIRE Pink Floyd Animals album is quite stirring.

Don't forget "Rhinoplasty".

Dusty Chalk
09-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Nobody does covers better than Primus/Les Claypool. Miscellaneous Debris is killer, and Les Claypools Frog Brigades LIVE cover of the ENTIRE Pink Floyd Animals album is quite stirring.I actually really disliked their cover of Animals -- especially the Pigs (Three Different Ones) riff. I hate it when they get a crucial piece of the riff wrong (other examples: Working Man on the Rush tribute and Sabbra Cadabra on the last Metallica covers album).

Now, Out Of Phase's cover of Animals is easily my most listened-to tribute album ever.

3-LockBox
09-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Every now and then...I hear a song I like and find out later that it was a cover, but you're right on the money; bands that resort to tributes and cover albums and even 'best of' albums with one or two new singles are on their last breath.

Sure, there are bands that do covers better than others. <b>Manfred Mann's Earth Band</b> comes to mind.

Defshep
09-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Got a hold of Def Leppard's covers album, "Yeah". Actually more an album for fans of seventies British glam, not necessarily for Lep fans. Almost note for note versions of songs by Thin Lizzy, Faces, David Essex, The Kinks, etc. Very energetic. The best "rock" record Def Leppard have done in a long time. It's very stripped down, and it really sounds like they had fun making it. Maybe they should try recording an original album this way...

Mr Peabody
09-15-2005, 05:29 PM
You know that last Aerosmith album was like that. I don't know if you could call it an actual covers album or not they just covered a bunch of Blues standards. I like it pretty well but instead of sounding like a tradition Blues album like I thought it would, it just sounded like a good Aerosmith album. The sound was bare bones and different from recent albums they put out.

MindGoneHaywire
09-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Nobody does covers better than Primus/Les Claypool.

Yeah, I was just thinking about how Elvis' Sun sides have nothing on them...

ForeverAutumn
09-16-2005, 04:17 AM
It was Jamie Cullem's cover of Hendrix's Wind Cries Mary that prompted me to buy his CD.

kd lang's last CD (Hymns from the 49th Parallel) was all covers and was excellent.

Colin James usually includes a cover or two on his CDs and always does a good job as well.

Covers can be done with class and respect to the original artist.