outdoor speaker recommedations.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : outdoor speaker recommedations....

nj audiophile
08-31-2005, 05:23 PM
wanted to get everyone's opinion on outdoor speakers for a 10 x 15 outdoor deck.

contemplating the Boston Voyager 4 versus the Bose 151 . i've heard some better speakers but they are all out of my price range.

let me know what you all think about the two.

Vardo
09-07-2005, 03:41 PM
The Boston Voyager 4 is an excellent value. I've owned the Boston "Runabout"
(no longer being made) and i'ts specs, drivers, cabinet configuration are the
same as the Voyager 4. Unfortunatly my wife destroyed the "Runabouts"
by mistakenly maxing out the volume on the connected reciever (long story)
......so I upgraded to the Voyager 6's and they sound great.

The only outdoor speakers that can compete with the Boston's, are Niles.
Onecall.com has the Niles OS-!0SI for approx $250 (free shipping) which is
only $30 dollars over your budget. If you get a chance give these a listen.

As far as Bose, I've never heard their outdoor speakers, so I really can't
comment.......vardo

Tarheel_
09-08-2005, 08:18 AM
wanted to get everyone's opinion on outdoor speakers for a 10 x 15 outdoor deck.

contemplating the Boston Voyager 4 versus the Bose 151 . i've heard some better speakers but they are all out of my price range.

let me know what you all think about the two.

try this...
take your budget for outdoor speakers and find the best (smaller) bookshelf speakers and use those as outdoor. Mount them under your roof eave and enjoy the sounds of a superior sounding speaker. Heck, you can probably save money going this route.

I've used indoor bookshelves for over 5 years, and they sound wonderful. Just remove them in winter and they will last a very long time. I use Infinty Primus 150's on their side and my buddy uses Polk RT10s. Both sound great.

nj audiophile
09-08-2005, 04:50 PM
try this...
take your budget for outdoor speakers and find the best (smaller) bookshelf speakers and use those as outdoor. Mount them under your roof eave and enjoy the sounds of a superior sounding speaker. Heck, you can probably save money going this route.

I've used indoor bookshelves for over 5 years, and they sound wonderful. Just remove them in winter and they will last a very long time. I use Infinty Primus 150's on their side and my buddy uses Polk RT10s. Both sound great.

area around the deck is not quite protected from the elements enough for me to trust to indoor/non-weather proof speakers, especially here in new jersey.

recently heard polk audio's atrium 45 speakers which are in the running as well.

thanks for everyone's suggestions.