Got Mine!!!!!!!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Got Mine!!!!!!!!!!!!

speakeroligist_38
08-31-2005, 05:11 PM
Hello people just wanted to let everybody know that I got my AR.com DIY speakers in today. Ed Frias assembled these himself not to mention designed them. The speakers arrived very well packaged and in perfect condition. Let me just say the AR.coms are built like a tank. The real wood veneer finish is a very nice touch and the speakers are quite heavy. Well, at least compared to my Paradigm Titans v.3. I also got a real nice pen with the EFE Technologies Logo and a demo cd. Ed Frias also had the warranty paper work in a nice manilla like folder with his personal signature. I then hooked the speakers up and right away they smoked the Titans v.3's. Absolutely no comparison. I will go ahead and mention that the Paradigm Mini Monitors v.3's are not even close. Now keep in mind that this is not a full review just a preliminary reference to what I have observed thus far. In other words, I have not done any real critical listening yet. Wanna give the speakers time to break in some. But, I will say that the Ar.coms are everything I have read about especially with respect to the Paradigm Studio 20's v.3. Ed Frias is the real deal people and he knows how to create a speaker that is fully balanced resulting in a more natural sound as if the artist is right in your own living room. My AR.coms seemed to disappear even though they are not fully broken in yet!!! This means over time they will sound better. Anyways, I just want to thank Kex for bringing the AR.coms to my attention and most importantly I wanna thank Ed Frias. Will have more to say after the holiday weekend. Talk to you all then.
Have a great and safe Memorial Day Weekend people.
Phil

Jim Clark
08-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Good on ya. Ol' Ed is quite the gent and his AR DIY's are solid. I love my pair and listen to them just about everyday as they are in my bedroom and I blast them every morning as I rise. Would love to know what's on his demo disc.

Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy them as has just about everybody without an axe to grind.

Regards,
jc

kexodusc
09-01-2005, 03:41 AM
Glad to see you're happy with the purchase. I built 6 of these things for my HT...I've got a replacement model lined up, and 4 will go to some family memeber I"m sure, but I will keep 2 of these around for reference speakers for my projects.

I'm sure Ed has informed you that the speakers top end response is quite easy and cheap ( literally $1 or $2 and 20 minutes) to adjust if you find it a bit bright, or not bright enough for your liking. A nice feature.

After a year I still haven't decided which way I prefer listening to these - with no toe-in at all some toe in, or complete toe-in....

Enjoy yourself...what are the plans for the rest of the system?

jclin4
09-01-2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks for sharing your initial impressions.

I didn't know you could purchase these speakers pre-made from THE MAN himself! But it makes sense: why should Madisound and Speakercity be the only ones that benefit financially from Ed's design.

I've decided to go for these speakers as well. I don't quite yet have the skills and tools to build my own cabs, and the pre-builts from the above suppliers were not to my taste. So I had them built by someone else...UPS says they'll be delivered to my door today! This is what they looked like in the builder's workshop:

http://home.earthlink.net/~beeth4444/images/ARcom.jpg

After I recieve them, I'm clicking over to Madisound to get the parts!

Worf101
09-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks for sharing your initial impressions.

I didn't know you could purchase these speakers pre-made from THE MAN himself! But it makes sense: why should Madisound and Speakercity be the only ones that benefit financially from Ed's design.

I've decided to go for these speakers as well. I don't quite yet have the skills and tools to build my own cabs, and the pre-builts from the above suppliers were not to my taste. So I had them built by someone else...UPS says they'll be delivered to my door today! This is what they looked like in the builder's workshop:

http://home.earthlink.net/~beeth4444/images/ARcom.jpg

After I recieve them, I'm clicking over to Madisound to get the parts!

Klipsch KG-1's to me. In fact they look just like em. Interesting...

Da Worfster :confused:

Eric Z
09-01-2005, 08:07 AM
just wondering the cost of the speakers.

thanks.
ez

kexodusc
09-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Klipsch KG-1's to me. In fact they look just like em. Interesting...

Da Worfster :confused:

Really? Totally different drivers....I think it's a testament to this man's fine woodworking then...

Cost for parts is $175 plus shipping...plus maybe $10 for MDF, polyfill, screws...and whatever you want to finish it with...I built mine under $22/pair

GMichael
09-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Really? Totally different drivers....I think it's a testament to this man's fine woodworking then...

Cost for parts is $175 plus shipping...plus maybe $10 for MDF, polyfill, screws...and whatever you want to finish it with...I built mine under $22/pair

Is this the new math everyone keeps taking about?

kexodusc
09-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Bwa ha ha...missing a zero..$220...thanks.

GMichael
09-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Bwa ha ha...missing a zero..$220...thanks.

No problem. I just wasn't sure if your, "plus maybe $10 for MDF, polyfill, screws...and whatever" was $22 plus the $175 for $197 total, or $220 total. Not much difference either way but I had to be a smart a.s I guess.

speakeroligist_38
09-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Jim his demo discs just has some tracks that highlights the AR.coms performance. Kex, my plans are to sooner or later buy a set of T20's from Ed Frias that have the MTM design but still are 8 ohm. I will then move my AR.coms to rear duty. I may or may not go with the matching center for the T20's. Doubt it since my focus is much more on 2-channel listening. Jclin4 Ed sells the AR.coms fully assembled for $600 a set plus S&H. He tests and measures each driver and every component in the X-over for optimal performance. The kits cost $340 plus S&H from Madisound that includes the cabinets. Ed only charges $260 more for his service yet providing a service that is usually done with much more expensive speakers. I will try to do some critical listening this weekend. One thing is for sure-am quite impressed so far with what I hear. Have a great but safe holiday weekend.
Phil

Jim Clark
09-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Jim his demo discs just has some tracks that highlights the AR.coms performance.
Phil

Yeeeah, that's pretty much what I figured ;)

I was curious as to what tracks Ed thought highlights the AR.coms performance. It's a lot of typing and not really necessary, I was just wondering.

Glad you like your speakers.

Regards,
jc