GLADIATOR - SIGNATURE SELECTION (DreamWorks/Universal) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : GLADIATOR - SIGNATURE SELECTION (DreamWorks/Universal)

Lexmark3200
08-31-2005, 11:27 AM
THE GENERAL WHO BECAME A SLAVE. THE SLAVE WHO BECAME A GLADIATOR. THE GLADIATOR WHO DEFIED AN EMPIRE.

In keeping with a Ridley Scott conversation I was having with a member of another site which I am senior disc reviewer for and which developed after my Black Hawk Down Superbit review in which I promised to watch his Gladiator this past weekend while he was supposed to go and watch Alien or Blade Runner as well as recognizing the fact that DreamWorks has just released an extended edition version of this title with added footage and even more behind the scenes extras, I thought this was as good a time as ever to review what I feel --- if from only an audio soundtrack standpoint alone --- is the definitive version of this film on DVD, the two disc Signature Selection and its DTS ES Discrete soundtrack. Around home theater enthusiast close-knit "circles," it is often said that THIS title should be the "christening" title for starting up a home theater system --- of course, there is some humor behind this, but the folks at the store in which I bought my gear when I first set my system up and the HT enthusiast folks I had along for the shopping that day all instructed me to purchase this Signature Selection version of Ridley Scott's Gladiator to be the very first disc I play back on my system because the DTS ES discrete track --- even without a back surround channel for the 6.1 experience --- was supposed to be wild. It sort of became a joke where now I recommend this disc as the "christening" home theater go-to title for anyone just getting into home theater and surround audio; at any rate, this soundtrack has endured the test of time, and even with multiple DTS title releases since its launch, it STILL remains demo quality and sticks heads and shoulders above other DTS titles available on the market. The DTS ES track still finds its way onto home theater magazines' lists of Top DVDs of All Time even all these years later in terms of audio experience.

The film's tagline, highlighted at the beginning of the review, basically sums up the plot for what it is: a revenge tale set in the time when the "Caesars" ruled most of the uncivilized world; what always took me "out" of Gladiator's plot and story, and a conversation I have had endless times with history graduates from my college, is how I always wondered if this was the way these "characters" were really supposed to talk to one another back in those days depicted in the film; would they behave like this? Would we be hearing English being spoken.....or do we have to do some suspension of disbelief here like we did when Harrison Ford began forcing the Russian accent in K-19: The Widowmaker?

The film opens with Scott giving us a bit of a "history" lesson as to where we are in the scheme of things, timeline wise, with regard to the plot; we are told, via post-credit rollings of words on the screen, that the world basically lived and died under the rules of these "Caesars" from Rome during this period --- Roman emperors who were feared and were supported by massive, physically overwhelming armies. We are introduced to one such army commanded by General Maximus (Russell Crowe) in an opening battle sequence which sounds downright spine tingling in DTS ES playback mode in which Crowe's Roman army is battling in an area of the world known then as "Germania" against hostile, brute rebels who do not think twice about lapping off a person's head in response to a question put to them. As these brute "Germanians" refuse to kneel before the power of the Roman Empire, Crowe's army stages an attack which leads them to victory once again. It is here that we are first introduced to Crowe's character's fighting abilities and it becomes a fascinating backdrop to the story as we watch him slice and fight and kill his way through many adversaries, leading us to believe he was one of Rome's "best" at the time. The Emperor watches on as Maximus and his troops celebrate the bloody battle in Germania which they have just won, and we already sense something is brewing between these two......

Enter the Emperor's somewhat immoral, cocky son (Joaquin Phoenix) who arrives at the end of the battle with his sister (the sexy Connie Nielsen) to congratulate his father on winning the fight with the Germanian rebels and to accept what he thinks will be his appointment as Emperor after his father.....but once the troops are back in their camp, the aging Emperor informs Phoenix that his powers will pass to Crowe (Maximus) once he dies, instantly enraging Phoenix with jealousy and anger and hence setting up our "father takes revenge" plot. Phoenix ends up smothering his father to death for choosing Maximus over him to be Emperor and he already hatches a plan to "get back" at Maximus for his father choosing him to lead the Roman people and to give the city back to the people to let them rule without an Emperor-like dictatorship. Phoenix has Crowe arrested, sent to be executed and has his wife and child murdered in revenge for this. Crowe ends up escaping his scheduled execution by overpowering the guards sent to kill him in the woods, but he cannot get to his family in time --- when he arrives at his home, his wife and child have already been executed and burned. In complete devastation, Crowe collapses and thus we enter the next stage of Scott's plot development.

Maximus is picked up by "slave handlers" who pass through his village and capture him, and he instantly becomes the property of slave owner Oliver Reed, who profits from the death of these slaves in arena gladiator games. Now, at this point, we are not sure if Crowe's character has amnesia from the mental trauma he suffered or what, but it's clear he is not quite sure where he is or why he is there.....but one thing becomes clear. He instantly proves his fighting abilities as he and the other slaves in his company are forced into brutal, savage arena battles in which Crowe clearly overpowers just about every opponent he faces. Like he was worshipped by his men he commanded as a General, Maximus is now looked upon as the leader of these slaves due to his sheer strength and number of victories he leads the slaves through, battle after battle.

Meanwhile, Phoenix has arrived back in Rome, thinking Maximus has been killed, and takes the title of Emperor after his father's death which he was responsible for. It is clear he is not ready for the task, evidenced by his lack of respect for the senate and the government who immediately give him tasks to take care of, one of which is a plague that is crippling part of the city. In "honor" of his father, the new Emperor schedules hundreds of days of gladiator matches in the famed Coliseum --- picking up on this opportunity, Reed informs Maximus (known to the other slaves and to Reed himself as "The Spaniard" unknowingly to them him being the famed General Maximus) that they are going to Rome so he and the men could fight in the Coliseum --- and that perhaps after "enough men have died," Crowe just might be able to win his freedom back.....but Reed informs him that the key to winning the games in the Coliseum is manipulating the crowd and winning them over. Crowe promises to "give them something they have never seen before."

And indeed he does. The first "battle" he and the slaves enter into in the Coliseum (which is pretty much expertly rendered in CGI during many shots) is what is known as "The Battle of Carthage;" Crowe and the slaves are subjected to chariots and soldiers on horses shooting arrows at them from all sides, but because of Crowe's battlefield experience, he leads the men to victory over these "Carthage" soldiers in a bloody battle that ends unexpectedly for the Emperor and the crowd roaring around the Coliseum (this all sounds just SO awesome and properly placed in DTS ES mode, but I'll get to that). In the real "Battle of Carthage," which this was supposed to be a re-creation of, the "Barbarian Horde" (the slaves) were supposed to lose, so Phoenix is wondering why they have won in this recreation and wishes to meet this "Spaniard" who leads the slaves. This is a turning point in the film and includes a most memorable scene were Crowe unmasks himself and Phoenix is shocked that Maximus is still alive and standing here in the Coliseum with him --- while Maximus makes a promise to "have his vengeance in this life or the next" for what Phoenix has done to his wife and son; this is very similar to Roland Emmerich's The Patriot, in the scene when Gibson says to Jason Isaacs "Before this war is over I'm going to kill you....." as a threat for revenge for Isaacs killing two of his sons. Despite his shock and anger, the Emperor allows Crowe to live rather than killing him and making himself an enemy of the crowd, which is the last thing any Emperor wants to do.

From there, the film concentrates on Phoenix's attempts at having Crowe killed without blatantly murdering him.....he pits Crowe against a master undefeated gladiator in a to-the-death match complete with roaring tigers in the arena and all --- but Crowe beats him, too, seeming completely unstoppable. Once Crowe has this master gladiator down on the ground, defeated, Phoenix wants him to finish the job and kill the gladiator, but Maximus defies the Emperor by throwing down his weapon and refusing to kill him. This enrages Phoenix even more, leading to the eventual one-on-one battle that must accompany each of these revenge stories. But before that happens, a subplot splinters from this storyline, which includes the Emperor's sister (Nielsen), Oliver Reed and one of the senators all in on a plan to help Maximus escape from the city so he can regain his troops to storm into Rome and take her away from the dictatorship, giving her back to the people --- as was the last wish of Phoenix's and Nielsen’s dying father. Crowe's plan is foiled, however, and he is caught before he can escape, forcing him into a hand to hand combat scene with Phoenix in the Coliseum in front of the mob; but, even purposely injured, Maximus is simply too good and too strong for Phoenix and the match doesn't last very long, as Phoenix pretty much has his ass handed to him in a matter of minutes and is eventually killed by Crowe......Crowe finally getting his revenge for his family being murdered. But this is not a happy ending --- Maximus himself dies because of a stab wound purposely delivered by Phoenix before the match to give him an upper hand, which doesn't work. Maximus "goes to see his family in the afterlife" in the film's conclusion, as just before he dies he instructs Nielsen and other Roman soldiers standing guard that Rome must be given back to the people as was her father's last wish.

There are some other insignificant themes going on here which were rather irrelevant to the plot, one dealing with a disturbing incest-oriented "passion" Phoenix has for Nielsen as well as a romantic history Nielsen and Crowe once had years ago.....and also a subplot regarding Nielsen's son and "protecting him" from her savage brother.

VIDEO SPECIFICATIONS:
ANAMORPHIC 2:35:1 DUAL LAYER WIDESCREEN TRANSFER

Aside from a bit of a (probably intentional) hazy, smoky opening title sequence, this was a sharp transfer from DreamWorks (in conjunction with Universal on this project); I detected no problems to really speak of and while I wouldn't necessarily call this "reference grade" video really, it sure does look good on a widescreen set as the CGI-rendered shots of ancient Rome come screaming to vivid life on this transfer and the gory reds of the blood spit from slit throats during the fight scenes are frighteningly real looking; it has been discussed before that there is indeed a choppy, "badly edited" look to certain parts of this film --- most notably during all the fight sequences, and it's there, no doubt. While distracting just a bit, I don't believe it took us too far out of the action onscreen and was probably a deliberate effect from Scott for the style he was going for with this motion picture. Those fight sequences do get "choppy" looking as if the editing was getting jagged and "sped-up" somewhat; it's hard to describe --- but it's there and is part of this film's "style" as I said. Otherwise, overall, a nice solid transfer from DreamWorks that I really have nothing to complain about. But it's really the audio you're sinking your teeth into on this two disc set (which I believe is now out of print due to the arrival of the (three disc, is it?) extended version which only includes a Dolby Digital track and really takes away from the experience of this film) so let's take a closer look at that....

AUDIO SPECIFICATIONS:
DTS ES 6.1, DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1, DOLBY SURROUND, SUBTITLED & CAPTIONED; "DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 AND DTS DIGITAL SURROUND SOUND ON THE SAME DISC FOR OPTIMAL AUDIO QUALITY"

This is one of those instances where going back and forth between two soundtracks on the same disc --- Dolby Digital and DTS --- yields obvious and audible differences; as I said earlier in the review, this title is well-known for its DTS ES track in the home theater community, and watching this in Dolby 5.1 is simply not the same experience, DYNAMICS wise, as running the disc's DTS ES mix --- even IF you don't have the back surround channel to take advantage of the 6.1 decoding. Because the technology is backward compatible, that sixth channel's information is "collapsed" into your standard surrounds, and if you're sitting where we all know you should --- in that sweet spot directly between the surround channels (well, somewhere around there anyway) --- you'll experience a "phantom" ES experience from this soundtrack on a standard 5.1 setup.

This is just one active mix, and like I said, if you have THIS Signature Selection version, don't even bother with the Dolby Digital track --- the DTS ES Discrete mix opens this whole soundstage up; listen in particular for the startling whipping of the arrows being fired in the first Germania fight sequence as they come from every channel around you ---- listen as fireballs explode against trees --- listen for the LOUD, blaringly real sounds of swords clashing against one another during arena battles from the center channel --- listen as during the Coliseum sequences, the crowd ROARS around you in the surrounds putting you right in the middle of these scenes.....clearly, a great deal of attention has been put into this audio mix and it remains one of demo quality even all these years after its initial release.

During the "Battle of Carthage," listen for the arrows being fired at Crowe and his men as they hit the surrounds with a sheer, brute force that makes you feel as if YOU are being hit with arrows in your living room while the crowd roars in and out through the surround channels; it's really amazing audio work here. That's just ONE example of the many I can give from this DVD's DTS ES soundtrack; what I did notice was a bit of a slight lack of LFE during certain scenes which will require you to do some tweaking with your sub's levels if you want a better impact --- most notably this happened with the fireballs hitting the trees in the Germania sequence (where, if you raise your sub levels up a bit, you'll get some nice LFE rumbling and punch) as well as during the Battle of Carthage when the chariots hit the walls of the Coliseum --- which, with raised subwoofer levels, will produce room shaking moments of low frequency information. Also very memorable was the fight sequence with Crowe and that "master gladiator" Phoenix pits him against, as they fight and tigers are roaring around them --- this is EXPERTLY rendered in DTS ES, as the deep roars of the tigers go through your whole body if your system is up high enough, while the clashing and clanging of their swords and shields EXPLODE through the center channel in such a real fashion that it's almost as if this fight is taking place in front of you....literally. After sitting through two hours and thirty-five minutes of this audio experience, it will leave you breathless.

This Signature Selection (autographed by Ridley Scott on the front of the DVD's box) already boasted an eye popping roster of special features behind the making of this modern day epic, and so I don't really know what the point of that new extended version of this film is, being that it drops the DTS track and adds some additional footage (which may be interesting to some fans, as I hear the scene where they are feeding people to the lions that was cut out is explored in greater detail on this new version). Spread over two discs, these extra features included:

-Insightful Film Commentary From Award-Winning Director Ridley Scott
-Deleted Scenes, Complete With Director's Commentary
-TREASURE CHEST: A Unique Montage of Additional Footage Cut to the Powerful Score
-Interview With Award-Winning Composer Hans Zimmer on Scoring the Film
-2 Extraordinary Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes
-One of a Kind Production Diary Written by Young Actor Spencer Treat Clark ("Lucius")
-Special Slide Show Featuring Concept Art and Storyboards
-Photo Gallery From Behind-the-Scenes of the Gladiator Set
-Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots
-In Depth Production Notes and Detailed Cast and Filmmaker Biographies

Given ALL the materials on this two disc set and its downright awesome DTS track, I would have to say that attempting to track down (either online or used somewhere) this version of Ridley Scott's Gladiator --- that is, the Signature Selection --- is the best route for someone who does not yet own this on DVD and would like to; while I have not reviewed the new extended version that has just been released, I cannot see how it can best --- technically --- the solid anamorphic transfer or outrageous DTS track of the Signature Selection save for more massive amounts of supplements regarding what went into making this film.......and do we really need more of that?

kelsci
09-01-2005, 03:04 PM
[ Because the technology is backward compatible, that sixth channel's information is "collapsed" into your standard surrounds, and if you're sitting where we all know you should --- in that sweet spot directly between the surround channels (well, somewhere around there anyway) --- you'll experience a "phantom" ES experience from this soundtrack on a standard 5.1 setup.]

Holy mackerel, Lex. Does this finally mean that you now understand what I was talking about for the past couple of years about the EX-ES phantom center back sound? Did you perform that test I suggested using the THX optimode test on the AOTC Star Wars disc?

I am going by the original disc realease of this film. The DTS track is quite impressive as you state in your review versus the D.D. track and as such, simply, I agree with your findings. I'll take your word about the DTS bass. Kelsci.

Lexmark3200
09-01-2005, 03:24 PM
"Holy mackerel, Lex. Does this finally mean that you now understand what I was talking about for the past couple of years about the EX-ES phantom center back sound?"

Hey Kelsci,

Thanks for taking the time to read the review and reply. I understood what you meant all this time about the phantom back center sound on EX and ES soundtracks, but due to multiple system setups, moving, etc, I wasnt always in an ideal position to experience that "phantom effect".......during Gladiator, it did in fact seem like that phantom effect from the 5.1 setup I'm running had been occuring via this soundtrack's DTS ES mix; it was almost as if NOT that much information was being lost in the two standard surrounds (the "lost" sixth channel ES information that is) know what I mean?

"Did you perform that test I suggested using the THX optimode test on the AOTC Star Wars disc?"

Didnt have a chance to yet; I'll probably do it tonight Kel.

"I am going by the original disc realease of this film."

Which is, I believe, this SIGNATURE SELECTION DVD, correct?

"The DTS track is quite impressive as you state in your review versus the D.D. track and as such, simply, I agree with your findings."

Absolutely. This one is clear. Just A/B between the Dolby and DTS tracks on this title and it's like watching and experiencing a totally different film; at least you heard the same that I was. Unfortunately, on some Columbia/Sony "Superbit" titles such as the original Spider-Man, or Bad Boys, I did not find the same results running their DTS mixes.....they didn't sound or appear to be "all that much hotter" than the original Dolby pressings.

"I'll take your word about the DTS bass."

When you get a chance, crank this one back up in your system as see if you're experiencing the same SLIGHT lack of LFE during certain scenes --- such as when the fireballs are hitting the trees in the beginning or when the chariots hit the wall in the arena.....these sequences, with a subwoofer kind of "leveled off" for balance purposes, need some more subwoofer power in order to deliver impactful effect.....however, I just left my sub alone and let the scenes run with the lack of LFE.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-02-2005, 05:50 AM
Mr. Professional reviewer, did you know that any comparison between the DD and Dts soundtracks is apples and oranges? They come from different printmasters and cannot really be compared.

The dolby digital soundtracks comes from the theatrical printmaster originally released in theaters. It is at 16/48khz resolution.

The Dts soundtrack was created especially for this DVD from the original stems. It is at 24/48khz resolution at 754kbps. Any comparison between the two is futile, different sources.

Aren't "professional" reviewers supposed to know this?

You are also mis-using the word "hotter" which describes volume differences, not resolution differences.

When you get a chance, crank this one back up in your system as see if you're experiencing the same SLIGHT lack of LFE during certain scenes --- such as when the fireballs are hitting the trees in the beginning or when the chariots hit the wall in the arena.....these sequences, with a subwoofer kind of "leveled off" for balance purposes, need some more subwoofer power in order to deliver impactful effect.....however, I just left my sub alone and let the scenes run with the lack of LFE.

Did it ever occur to you that the director wanted the LFE just the way it is? Why are you second guessing the intent of the creators of the soundtrack? Did it ever occur to you that the impact in its present form is perfect just as it is? Did it ever occur to you that the majority of energy that is present in the soundtrack may be below the frequency that your sub can reproduce?

shokhead
09-02-2005, 05:57 AM
"Holy mackerel, Lex. Does this finally mean that you now understand what I was talking about for the past couple of years about the EX-ES phantom center back sound?"

Hey Kelsci,

Thanks for taking the time to read the review and reply. I understood what you meant all this time about the phantom back center sound on EX and ES soundtracks, but due to multiple system setups, moving, etc, I wasnt always in an ideal position to experience that "phantom effect".......during Gladiator, it did in fact seem like that phantom effect from the 5.1 setup I'm running had been occuring via this soundtrack's DTS ES mix; it was almost as if NOT that much information was being lost in the two standard surrounds (the "lost" sixth channel ES information that is) know what I mean?

"Did you perform that test I suggested using the THX optimode test on the AOTC Star Wars disc?"

Didnt have a chance to yet; I'll probably do it tonight Kel.

"I am going by the original disc realease of this film."

Which is, I believe, this SIGNATURE SELECTION DVD, correct?

"The DTS track is quite impressive as you state in your review versus the D.D. track and as such, simply, I agree with your findings."

Absolutely. This one is clear. Just A/B between the Dolby and DTS tracks on this title and it's like watching and experiencing a totally different film; at least you heard the same that I was. Unfortunately, on some Columbia/Sony "Superbit" titles such as the original Spider-Man, or Bad Boys, I did not find the same results running their DTS mixes.....they didn't sound or appear to be "all that much hotter" than the original Dolby pressings.

"I'll take your word about the DTS bass."

Maybe those scenes were not suppose to be heavy on the LFE. You could watch many a flick and say that. Of course in a LFE guy so the more,the better.

Lexmark3200
09-02-2005, 09:54 AM
"Of course in a LFE guy so the more,the better."

And please explain this as I dont understand it. Thank you.

Lexmark3200
09-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Maybe those scenes were not suppose to be heavy on the LFE. You could watch many a flick and say that. Of course in a LFE guy so the more,the better.

Yes Shok, but you need to understand one thing: as a reviewer it is your JOB just to POINT OUT that those discrepencies are there and exist-----now, I didnt prepare the mix personally for DreamWorks, I only REPORTED what I heard-----all Im saying is that in THOSE SCENES, the LFE seemed a bit weak where if you turn your sub levels up a bit above what you'd normally listen at, those scenes deliver the much-needed impact. All I was reporting is that there WAS a lack of LFE in those particular sequences, and of COURSE someone can say that about "many a flick"......I'm just pointing it out on Gladiator's DTS track, thats all: REPORTING that there is a distinct lack of bass during these sequences. Trust me, others I have discussed this title with agree about the staggering differences between the Dolby and DTS mixes on the same disc and the lack of LFE on this title.

shokhead
09-02-2005, 10:03 AM
I trust you.

Lexmark3200
09-02-2005, 10:19 AM
I trust you.

....taken DIRECTLY from another site on which I posted this review and is a reply from a member after reading the review:

"I used this disk last night to test out my 7.1 set-up. The DTS ES track on this is topshelf-----I MUST agree with our reviewer"

noddin0ff
09-02-2005, 01:03 PM
The film's tagline, highlighted at the beginning of the review, basically sums up the plot for what it is: a revenge tale set in the time when the "Caesars" ruled most of the uncivilized world; what always took me "out" of Gladiator's plot and story, and a conversation I have had endless times with history graduates from my college, is how I always wondered if this was the way these "characters" were really supposed to talk to one another back in those days depicted in the film; would they behave like this? Would we be hearing English being spoken.....or do we have to do some suspension of disbelief here like we did when Harrison Ford began forcing the Russian accent in K-19: The Widowmaker?

You've got to be kidding...

09-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Yes Shok, but you need to understand one thing: as a reviewer it is your JOB just to POINT OUT that those discrepencies are there and exist-

How do you know this is a discrepensy? Where you there, did you prepare the mix?

----now, I didnt prepare the mix personally for DreamWorks, I only REPORTED what I heard

Yes but you have to have a reference in order to say it is weak. What are you using as a reference, the printmaster???

-----all Im saying is that in THOSE SCENES, the LFE seemed a bit weak where if you turn your sub levels up a bit above what you'd normally listen at, those scenes deliver the much-needed impact.

As a reviewer, you should know that all movies LFE is not the same. So you cannot compare the level of X movie to Y movie.

All I was reporting is that there WAS a lack of LFE in those particular sequences, and of COURSE someone can say that about "many a flick"......I'm just pointing it out on Gladiator's DTS track, thats all: REPORTING that there is a distinct lack of bass during these sequences.

Once again I ask, how do you know there is a lack without a reference to compare to? How do you know that the LFE levels(and bass for that matter) is not at the intended levels the creator wanted? Ridley Scott approved it, why are you second guessing him?

Trust me, others I have discussed this title with agree about the staggering differences between the Dolby and DTS mixes on the same disc and the lack of LFE on this title.

Others. Oh gawd another vagarity. Staggering differences, heck they were made with two differenct masters, of course they are different!!! Lack of LFE??? Wow!

shokhead
09-03-2005, 10:29 AM
"Of course in a LFE guy so the more,the better."

And please explain this as I dont understand it. Thank you.

I'm,I'm,I'm, not in. My bad but thats what happens when i'm typing at work inbetween jobs.
In other words,i lean towards bass more then treble.

Lexmark3200
09-05-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm,I'm,I'm, not in. My bad but thats what happens when i'm typing at work inbetween jobs.
In other words,i lean towards bass more then treble.

Gotcha; no problems. And remember what I said: I have had this discussion regarding THIS particular title with just so many other enthusiasts, folks on my editorial team and other testers who said the same thing upon FIRST playing this soundtrack back without any tweaking to their sub's levels: there SEEMS to be a shallowness of LFE in the scenes I specifically highlighted-----you'll see other online reviewers say the same thing if you do a search. That lack of LFE is THERE and present --- I was trying to point that out just for YOUR information before purchasing this title if you havent already done so.

Thank you Shok!

09-07-2005, 09:51 AM
I have had this discussion regarding THIS particular title with just so many other enthusiasts, folks on my editorial team and other testers who said the same thing upon FIRST playing this soundtrack back without any tweaking to their sub's levels

Can anyone see a pattern of lies and vagarities here?

Lexmark3200
09-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Right.......right Shok and Kelsci.....I am lying to you when I tell you that I found a lack of LFE during these particular scenes......right.....I am purposely lying to you; and can one of you guys please tell me what a "valgarity" is or whatever that word he is using? I don't quite get it.

But remember: I am lying to you when I tell you the chariots hitting the wall or the fireballs hitting the trees seem to have a tad bit of a "shallow" impact upon first scrutinizing the track----he's right. That's a lie. LMFAO.

And this subject has been discussed amongst others whether it sounds "believable" or not----upon first listening to this track, you can sense a lack of LFE in these places ---- and that's JUST an observation, not a lie or a counter stance to the engineer who designed the mix. Just an observation. I will pull some other examples of simple "observations" regarding this mix from other online reviewers to cement my belief that when I hand in DVD "roundup" pieces for Home Theater and DVD ETC magazines, they do not REQUIRE me to go into the printmaster being used and so forth; they require me to provide them with a right-to-the-point assesment of what the track sounded like, and that's what I give them. Read the issue before the last issue that was released of Home Theater, which deals with "Building The Ultimate DVD Collection"----I was personally involved in that input and you will see absolutely NO mentioning anywhere of comparing printmasters or which masters were used or any such rhetoric-----the "roundups" are simple and to the point: i.e. "This Dolby Digital mix is alive, active and aggressive" etc.

But REMEMBER guys: I am lying to you; yeah, okay, right. LMFAORH.

JSE
09-07-2005, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Lexmark3200] and can one of you guys please tell me what a "valgarity" is or whatever that word he is using? I don't quite get it. [QUOTE]

Main Entry: va·ga·ry
Pronunciation: 'vA-g&-rE; v&-'ger-E, -'gar-, vA-; also 'va-g&-rE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ries
Etymology: probably from Latin vagari to wander, from vagus wandering
: an erratic, unpredictable, or extravagant manifestation, action, or notion

JSE

Lexmark3200
09-07-2005, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=Lexmark3200] and can one of you guys please tell me what a "valgarity" is or whatever that word he is using? I don't quite get it. [QUOTE]

Main Entry: va·ga·ry
Pronunciation: 'vA-g&-rE; v&-'ger-E, -'gar-, vA-; also 'va-g&-rE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ries
Etymology: probably from Latin vagari to wander, from vagus wandering
: an erratic, unpredictable, or extravagant manifestation, action, or notion

JSE

LMFAO....I just love how those words were thrown together for shock effect.....LMFAO....

JSE
09-07-2005, 11:53 AM
LMFAO....I just love how those words were thrown together for shock effect.....LMFAO....

Huh? What?

shokhead
09-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Now what did i do? You found a lack of LFE,fine. All i'm saying is maybe thats how they wanted it.

09-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Now what did i do? You found a lack of LFE,fine. All i'm saying is maybe thats how they wanted it.

That IS how they wanted it, or the soundtrack wouldn't have left the studio. The silly little printer is trying to second guess the director and the re-recording mixers instead of just reviewing the movie. With no reference to stand against the soundtrack, how can you say it lacks anything. Now maybe the silly little old printer desires more LFE, but he didn't mix the movie. He doesn't even have a film, or filmsound background.

If you visit any of the other websites forums, nobody is saying this soundtrack LFE sounds weak. So just who are the "others" that say it is. He states he has a editorial staff, from what magazine? He mentions Hometheater magazine, but there is absolutely no place you can find his name. Lies, vagarities, fantasy, that is what he is currently thriving on. He certainly isn't fooling anyone here.

A professional reviewer reviews the movie, not tells the sound engineer how much LFE to put in the mix.

Lexmark3200
09-07-2005, 01:11 PM
No, no Shok----I was not aiming that comment at YOU-----I was saying that because it had been suggested that I am LYING about all this, thats what it MUST be, that I am LYING about it all.....it had nothing to do with you, sir.....my apologies for making you believe that. Just being a bit sarcastic by saying "yup.....thats what it must be! I am lying about the lack of LFE I experienced!"

It's all good, Shok. You did no wrong sir. Enjoy your afternoon!

And Shok,

One other thing......this MAY have been how the engineers wanted it, BUT I AM STATING AND OBSERVING----and dont let anyone tell you otherwise regarding HOW an OBSERVATION of an audio scheme on a disc should be handled----that there was a definite lack of low end during these sequences which was corrected upon tweaking the sub; upon FIRST listening to these sequences, there was little bass there-----THATS ALL I WAS DOING WAS POINTING THAT OUT and believe me, this HAS been confirmed by different reviewers.

Lexmark3200
09-07-2005, 01:16 PM

No, no Shok----I was not aiming that comment at YOU-----I was saying that because it had been suggested that I am LYING about all this, thats what it MUST be, that I am LYING about it all.....it had nothing to do with you, sir.....my apologies for making you believe that. Just being a bit sarcastic by saying "yup.....thats what it must be! I am lying about the lack of LFE I experienced!"

It's all good, Shok. You did no wrong sir. Enjoy your afternoon!

09-07-2005, 01:42 PM
. Just an observation. I will pull some other examples of simple "observations" regarding this mix from other online reviewers to cement my belief that when I hand in DVD "roundup" pieces for Home Theater and DVD ETC magazines, they do not REQUIRE me to go into the printmaster being used and so forth; they require me to provide them with a right-to-the-point assesment of what the track sounded like, and that's what I give them. Read the issue before the last issue that was released of Home Theater, which deals with "Building The Ultimate DVD Collection"----I was personally involved in that input and you will see absolutely NO mentioning anywhere of comparing printmasters or which masters were used or any such rhetoric-----the "roundups" are simple and to the point: i.e. "This Dolby Digital mix is alive, active and aggressive" etc.

But REMEMBER guys: I am lying to you; yeah, okay, right. LMFAORH.

Oh, lot's of reviewers agree with the little printer that could. Well DVD review doesn't

http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/DVD/1482.shtml

Cliff Stephenson from DVD file says this;

"Encoded with both Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX and a discrete DTS ES 6.1 soundtracks, the audio is as glorious as the video. All channels, including the .1 LFE, are used to maximum effect with a heavy barrage of directional effects that totally drops you in the middle of the action. Dialog is well recorded and represented here with no distortion or masking from the thick effects. The front soundstage images wide, reaching around to effectively merge with the aggressive split surrounds. The center back channel is perfectly incorporated and exemplary of what EX and ES soundtracks can accomplish. The cheers of the crowd and the sounds of battle hit from all sides to create a totally convincing environment.

Comparisons between the Dolby and DTS tracks are interesting. To my measurement, the DTS track actually plays about 3db louder than the Dolby track. At first listen, that might seem to give the DTS an unfair advantage. Once the levels were matched though, DTS still provided a more pleasing sound experience with improved imaging, better bass definition and a more refined, realistic tone. As Russell Crowe's character escapes from execution early in the film, the gentle sound of a guitar is heard. Listening to the Dolby, the plucks of the strings seemed to alternate between the front center and just in between the center and back surround. There was a slight ping-ponging going on, with both locations easily identifiable. Listening to the very same moment in DTS imaged much more impressively, with the guitar strumming seeming to 'float' in the center of the room, emanating from where there are no speakers.

The recreation of the Battle of Carthage in chapter 15 provides excellent examples of improvements in tone and bass reproduction. As chariots in the scene begin crashing in the heat of battle, bass on the DTS appeared a bit tighter and more controlled while the Dolby gave a bit more thud. As these actions go on, thunderous cheers from the crowd differ in each version with the Dolby sounding a bit harsher to the ear. I have no doubt recommending the Dolby as an excellent soundtrack, but the DTS, when experienced, is absolutely sublime. "

No mention of a lack of LFE in any scene

Now the digitalbits;

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews/gladiator.html

The movie page review

http://www.movie-page.com/dvd/reviews/gladiator.htm

So I have presented four DVD reviews from some of the most popular online DVD websites, not one mention of a lack of LFE.

Anyone with half a brain knows that if you are going to use terms like weak and hot, you have to prove that by using a example or reference. If you cannot prove it, most editors will not publish it because they know that there are people just like me who have the means to test it. Nobody wants to publish misinformation, and if they published anything about Gladiator using the words "weak" to describe ANY portion of that soundtrack, the would be doing just that. More Lexmark Lies.

09-07-2005, 01:51 PM
And Shok,

One other thing......this MAY have been how the engineers wanted it, BUT I AM STATING AND OBSERVING----and dont let anyone tell you otherwise regarding HOW an OBSERVATION of an audio scheme on a disc should be handled----that there was a definite lack of low end during these sequences which was corrected upon tweaking the sub; upon FIRST listening to these sequences, there was little bass there-----THATS ALL I WAS DOING WAS POINTING THAT OUT and believe me, this HAS been confirmed by different reviewers.

Where is your proof that it is lacking? Do you have a spectral analysis chart to demonstrate your beliefs?

Lexmark3200
09-07-2005, 02:04 PM
More attempts by The Terrible Idiot to do nothing else with his time but attempt to convince others that I did not hear what I indeed heard; remember people: I do not NEED proof, fact, or otherwise to make observations about a soundtrack's characteristics when just going in for a listen and analysis-----it is PERFECTLY fine to call something "short on LFE" or "possesses tons of treble here...." without having scientific measurements to back it up-----we do it ALL THE TIME at Home Theater and DVD ETC during these "Best of" DVD voting lists, in which we write down characteristics we are experiencing when watching these DVDs and pass those along to Maureen------THEY dont ask us for "technical prowess" when reviewing these discs, so regardless of what I am being attacked, ridiculed and accused of in here it simply DOES NOT MATTER: the bottom line is that there IS a DISTINCT lack of LFE in these scenes, whether INTENTIONAL OR NOT, and THAT is what I was pointing out. Scientific backup for that? Yeah, right, okay.

Remember Shok: these are fruitless attempts to prove something that simply does not need proving; there is a lack of LFE thump in THOSE particular sequences when you play this DTS ES track back; play these certain scenes back through YOUR system with the subwoofer set where it would NORMALLY be calibrated and tell me what you find. If you would like, I will give you the exact chapter stops and times to run them.

.....and the BEST part about it all is that this moron actually THINKS I am lying about something here.....when it has nothing at all to do with lies.....yes, right, Shok----I am lying to you and Kesci about what I heard.....that's correct.....LMFAO....LMFAO......that's the BEST part of it all.......

09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
More attempts by The Terrible Idiot to do nothing else with his time but attempt to convince others that I did not hear what I indeed heard; remember people: I do not NEED proof, fact, or otherwise to make observations about a soundtrack's characteristics when just going in for a listen and analysis-----it is PERFECTLY fine to call something "short on LFE" or "possesses tons of treble here...." without having scientific measurements to back it up-----we do it ALL THE TIME at Home Theater and DVD ETC during these "Best of" DVD voting lists, in which we write down characteristics we are experiencing when watching these DVDs and pass those along to Maureen------THEY dont ask us for "technical prowess" when reviewing these discs, so regardless of what I am being attacked, ridiculed and accused of in here it simply DOES NOT MATTER: the bottom line is that there IS a DISTINCT lack of LFE in these scenes, whether INTENTIONAL OR NOT, and THAT is what I was pointing out. Scientific backup for that? Yeah, right, okay.

Remember Shok: these are fruitless attempts to prove something that simply does not need proving; there is a lack of LFE thump in THOSE particular sequences when you play this DTS ES track back; play these certain scenes back through YOUR system with the subwoofer set where it would NORMALLY be calibrated and tell me what you find. If you would like, I will give you the exact chapter stops and times to run them.

.....and the BEST part about it all is that this moron actually THINKS I am lying about something here.....when it has nothing at all to do with lies.....yes, right, Shok----I am lying to you and Kesci about what I heard.....that's correct.....LMFAO....LMFAO......that's the BEST part of it all.......

Same old line. If the LFE is lacking, surely measurements would bear that out. I have never read a DVD review in Hometheater Mag. that made any references to the lack of LFE in a movie. I am a subscriber, and have been one for the last four years. That is why I know you are lying. Secondly if your word goes against the tide of what everyone else is saying, then you DO have to come up with physical proof. Hometheater Magazine has extensive testing equipment that could easily measure the spectral content of any soundtrack. And third, why do you review movies that have been released for ages, reviewed by every reviewer in the business, and some re-released twice? Once again, reviewers get their press kits before the DVD hit the shelves. Why are you not reviewing movies like Toy Story 10th anniversary edition, or Sahara? A simple answer will do!

Lexmark3200
09-07-2005, 02:56 PM
"In keeping with a Ridley Scott conversation I was having with a member of another site which I am senior disc reviewer for and which developed after my Black Hawk Down Superbit review in which I promised to watch his Gladiator this past weekend while he was supposed to go and watch Alien or Blade Runner as well as recognizing the fact that DreamWorks has just released an extended edition version of this title with added footage and even more behind the scenes extras, I thought this was as good a time as ever to review what I feel --- if from only an audio soundtrack standpoint alone --- is the definitive version of this film on DVD, the two disc Signature Selection"

JSE
09-07-2005, 03:43 PM
"In keeping with a Ridley Scott conversation I was having with a member of another site which I am senior disc reviewer for and which developed after my Black Hawk Down Superbit review in which I promised to watch his Gladiator this past weekend while he was supposed to go and watch Alien or Blade Runner as well as recognizing the fact that DreamWorks has just released an extended edition version of this title with added footage and even more behind the scenes extras, I thought this was as good a time as ever to review what I feel --- if from only an audio soundtrack standpoint alone --- is the definitive version of this film on DVD, the two disc Signature Selection"

Another comment from the peanut gallery.

OK, I am lost now with the above post. Lex, can you please give us some insight on the meaning and reason you posted this expert from another thread.

Come on people, let's keep this understandable. :confused:

JSE

Woochifer
09-07-2005, 04:21 PM

For which website are you a "senior disc reviewer"? It's certainly not the one in which you actually had this "conversation" with another member.

http://hometheatertalk.com/httalk/viewtopic.php?t=14855

RGA
09-07-2005, 09:16 PM
I don't get it. If Lexmark3200 or whatever printer he likes says he is senior disc editor for some major website or magazine then simply tell us which magazine which website and what your name is and then you have proven who you are and what you claim.

As for the bass issue well having heard Polk systems it;s probably because of the system -- which and no offense to Onkyo and Polk is not what a typical reference system from a major review publication would use. People may argue the benefits but generally a reference just would not be stuff you buy a Best Buy.

Though Gladiator was a caca anyway and the worst film to win best picture that I can recall in the last 20 years.

He probably considers himself the senior disc reviewer of this major DVD review site. :rolleyes:

shokhead
09-08-2005, 05:37 AM
Lets not talk about Sahara,i just woke up from watching it this weekend.

Lexmark3200
09-08-2005, 10:37 AM
For which website are you a "senior disc reviewer"? It's certainly not the one in which you actually had this "conversation" with another member.

http://hometheatertalk.com/httalk/viewtopic.php?t=14855

It most certainly is, my delicious, scrumptious Woochie! Wow....I'm impressed.....just as active at tracking me down across cyberspace, huh? This site is only the TIP of the iceburg regarding sites I online review for, whether you chose to believe that or not.

Lexmark3200
09-08-2005, 10:50 AM
"I don't get it. If Lexmark3200 or whatever printer he likes says he is senior disc editor for some major website or magazine then simply tell us which magazine which website and what your name is and then you have proven who you are and what you claim."

Right. Whatever. I've said it a million times but do you think I'd actually give my REAL name as to what I write under with guys like this online who track people down? Not a chance in hell.

"As for the bass issue well having heard Polk systems it;s probably because of the system -- which and no offense to Onkyo and Polk is not what a typical reference system from a major review publication would use."

You are simply and completely wrong-----when I signed a FREELANCE contract with the two publications I freelance for, they were WELL AWARE of the system I was using and the speakers and had absolutely no problem with me using it; if you dont believe me, so be it. I KNOW the contract I signed. And what exactly is wrong with Polk speakers?

"People may argue the benefits but generally a reference just would not be stuff you buy a Best Buy."

Again, incorrect; when I signed on a freelance agreement with these publications, I also made it VERY clear that I purchased my gear at J&R Music World in downtown New York City, not Best Buy, and someone from the editorial team of Home Theater spoke with the salesman I purchased by TX-SR600 from and they both agreed that this store was a major cut above the Best Buy outfits of the world and again the magazine had NO problem with my writing or my system.

"Though Gladiator was a caca anyway and the worst film to win best picture that I can recall in the last 20 years."

Yeah, right. Your opinion again which really doesn't mean squat after some of the "comments" I have heard you make about films that were outstanding.

"He probably considers himself the senior disc reviewer of this major DVD review site."

This is a major DVD review site? I NEVER would have guessed, RGA! Thank you for the insight!

09-08-2005, 11:42 AM

Okay, based on your logic, the moon is blue, the earth is flat, and I can walk in space. Hey, no proof is needed, just because I say it, it is true. Oh, and by the way, a whole day is really 23.35 hours and not 24. I invented the internet, and the software you use to navigate it. I can walk on water, and under it without air. Ohhh, I can fly a plane, or a car. I built the Hoover dam, invented the interstate highway system, the traffic light, antibiotics, X-ray machines, built the Golden Gate Bridge singlehandedly, invented the auto, and the mass production lines. I own Capitol, Warners, Sony/BMG, and Universal music. I invented the atom bomb, the tank, the fart, the B-1 bomber, the Stealth aircraft, bread and cheese, and the grape.

The world could not exist if I wasn't born. Proof that I did this? No, I don't need it, just believe me that I am telling the truth. No one can tell me what I believe, because I believe it. Guys, I am not lying, I really did this all!!!!

This fully illustrates the rediculousness of believing someone with no proof. They can say anything, and we are supposed to buy it. Riiiiiight!!!!

Lexmark3200
09-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Right------and are you THAT stupid that you do not recognize the fact that when you flip through DVD OVERVIEWS such as the roundups in these publications, MANY times all that's being said is "The Dolby Digital soundtrack was a bit on the weak side in terms of LFE...." or something like that? WE HEAR IT ALL THE TIME FROM OUR WRITERS and our editors don't demand anything more-----just what we HEAR on the soundtrack without delving into printmaster differences or engineering problems --- again, I MUST be lying to everyone because YOU say I am.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight..........

Lexmark3200
09-08-2005, 11:47 AM
OK, this is getting a bit deep for even you Lexmark3200. WHY IN THE WORLD would someone from the "editorial team of Home Theater" want to speak to the store you bought your system from? If the "editorial team" at Home Theater magazine does not know that the TX-SR600 is an outdated, discontinued lower end AV receiver, then they have not business publishing a magazine about HT.

Like T says, another vagary. Mythical people who came to the same conclusion as you. I before you say I am wrong, I have personally spoken to the senior editors at Home Theater magazine, DVD/HDTV ETC, Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Soldier of Fortune and many others they have all told me they do not know you and you are not a member of their stafff. Except for Soldier of Fortune :confused: Anyway, they also said that TLADINY and Lexmark3200 are indeed one in the same. Oh, and myself and many other members on fanatical sites have discussed this at length and they all confirm what I am saying. So there, I have my proof and you CANNOT dispute it because I have provided just as much supporting documentation as you.

Good Day Sir!

JSE

LOL! LOL!!! Yeah Im SURE you talked to MAUREEN over at Home Theater Magazine who I know PERSONALLY for six years now and she told you she knows no "Lexmark3200" or To Live And Die in whatever-----like THOSE ARE MY WRITING NAMES I GO UNDER!!! LOL! LMFAO......what a joke.....what an absolute joke......I'm looking at a paycheck I JUST received for a freelance article I submitted on a DVD review recently ----- IM LOOKING RIGHT AT IT IN FRONT OF ME and yet you "have proof".....THATS FUNNY.....

Maureen is a great person and probably doesnt have ANY idea what you are talking about if you did in fact contact them; and I dont work for Stereophile or Audiophile but other DVD oriented books in the field.

JSE
09-08-2005, 11:48 AM
and someone from the editorial team of Home Theater spoke with the salesman I purchased by TX-SR600 from......

OK, this is getting a bit deep for even you Lexmark3200. WHY IN THE WORLD would someone from the "editorial team of Home Theater" want to speak to the store you bought your system from? If the "editorial team" at Home Theater magazine does not know that the TX-SR600 is an outdated, discontinued lower end AV receiver, then they have not business publishing a magazine about HT.

Like T says, another vagary. Mythical people who came to the same conclusion as you. And before you say I am wrong, I have personally spoken to the senior editors at Home Theater magazine, DVD/HDTV ETC, Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Soldier of Fortune and many others they have all told me they do not know you and you are not a member of their stafff. Except for Soldier of Fortune :confused: Anyway, they also said that TLADINY and Lexmark3200 are indeed one in the same. Oh, and myself and many other members on fanatical sites have discussed this at length and they all confirm what I am saying. So there, I have my proof and you CANNOT dispute it because I have provided just as much supporting documentation as you.

Good Day Sir!

JSE

JSE
09-08-2005, 12:02 PM
LOL! LOL!!! Yeah Im SURE you talked to MAUREEN over at Home Theater Magazine who I know PERSONALLY for six years now and she told you she knows no "Lexmark3200" or To Live And Die in whatever-----like THOSE ARE MY WRITING NAMES I GO UNDER!!! LOL! LMFAO......what a joke.....what an absolute joke......I'm looking at a paycheck I JUST received for a freelance article I submitted on a DVD review recently ----- IM LOOKING RIGHT AT IT IN FRONT OF ME and yet you "have proof".....THATS FUNNY.....

Maureen is a great person and probably doesnt have ANY idea what you are talking about if you did in fact contact them; and I dont work for Stereophile or Audiophile but other DVD oriented books in the field.

Dude, Chris Lewis at Home Theater Magazine is a personal friend of mine and he has no idea of who you are and they don't have freelance DVD reviewers. So try again.

Lexmark3200
09-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Yeah, riiiiiiiight------I only know their editor, Maureen, for more than six years now, so who's full of **** here? I contributed to that Top 100 DVDs list of all time feature a month or so back and my freelance contracts are with other publications, so perhaps you should try again dude.

By the way.....Chris has no idea who I am? Without a real name that would be pretty hard----I dont review DVDs for them or other books under Lexmark3200. You're a genius.

Lexmark3200
09-08-2005, 12:15 PM
LMFAO......yeah riiiiiiiiight....wanna be's.......especially when I was at a barbecue at Maureen's staff party not more than a year ago.

Wanna-bes.....LMFAO.......

09-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Isn't this just incredible?? The lengths that wanna be's go through to maintain their fantasy. I declare........

09-08-2005, 12:26 PM
LMFAO......yeah riiiiiiiiight....wanna be's.......especially when I was at a barbecue at Maureen's staff party not more than a year ago.

Wanna-bes.....LMFAO.......

And what proof do you have that you were there? A piece of barbeque chicken? A bowl of potato salad?. Anyone who reads the credits and acknowledgments in the front of a magazine can drop names. Your name dropping is no proof, and we are not convinced that ANYTHING you say is true. Now go back to begging Skok to beleive you!!

JSE
09-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Yeah, riiiiiiiight------I only know their editor, Maureen, for more than six years now, so who's full of **** here? I contributed to that Top 100 DVDs list of all time feature a month or so back and my freelance contracts are with other publications, so perhaps you should try again dude.

By the way.....Chris has no idea who I am? Without a real name that would be pretty hard----I dont review DVDs for them or other books under Lexmark3200. You're a genius.

Well, I grew up with Chris in Houston, Tx so that's a tad more than 6 years. Of course now, you change your story and say your not a freelance writer for Home Theater specifically, but just the other publications you mention. Well, I have Chris on the phone as I type this and he states that none of the DVD reviewers at Home Theater live anywhere near Las Vegas or Henderson, Nevada or even New York. And who said I mentioned the name Lexmark3200 to Chris? I used your real name. :cool:

For futher proof, here is part of the email Chris sent me earlier and I quote, I took our names out for security and privacy reasons.

" Yo ****, I have no idea who this **** **** is. I personally know all the reviewers and none of them are from Nevada or New York. I logged on to Audio Review and looked at some of his reviews. To be honest, we would not allow any of those reviews to be published in our magazine.

Anyway, how's the wife and dog. I will see you guys at Christmas.

Chris"

JSE

Kam
09-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Okay, based on your logic, the moon is blue, the earth is flat, and I can walk in space. Hey, no proof is needed, just because I say it, it is true. Oh, and by the way, a whole day is really 23.35 hours and not 24. I invented the internet, and the software you use to navigate it. I can walk on water, and under it without air. Ohhh, I can fly a plane, or a car. I built the Hoover dam, invented the interstate highway system, the traffic light, antibiotics, X-ray machines, built the Golden Gate Bridge singlehandedly, invented the auto, and the mass production lines. I own Capitol, Warners, Sony/BMG, and Universal music. I invented the atom bomb, the tank, the fart, the B-1 bomber, the Stealth aircraft, bread and cheese, and the grape.

The world could not exist if I wasn't born. Proof that I did this? No, I don't need it, just believe me that I am telling the truth. No one can tell me what I believe, because I believe it. Guys, I am not lying, I really did this all!!!!

This fully illustrates the rediculousness of believing someone with no proof. They can say anything, and we are supposed to buy it. Riiiiiight!!!!

you INVENTED the fart?? i KNEW it. i just knew IT. i had asked a bunch of other INVENTORS who they THOUGHT invented the fart and THEY all said it was Edward Shnitz over IN oklahoma. i ASKED several times, and ADMITTINGLY i was skeptical, but NOW i know. i will absolutely shove it in their faces. HA. what KIND of inventing do they do anyway in their mama's BASEMENT?? i can ONE-up them BIG time on THIS debate. and THANKS for sending ME the certificate of authenticity. the paper it's PRINTED on is really authentic LOOKING. i'm looking at the certificate you sent me T3, LOOKING at it!! so i CAN shove this in THEIR faces! And do you know what I say? Ha ha! Do you hear me? Ha ha ha!

and by the way, kudos on that antibiotics invention. well done.

JSE
09-08-2005, 12:54 PM
you INVENTED the fart?? i KNEW it. i just knew IT. i had asked a bunch of other INVENTORS who they THOUGHT invented the fart and THEY all said it was Edward Shnitz over IN oklahoma. i ASKED several times, and ADMITTINGLY i was skeptical, but NOW i know. i will absolutely shove it in their faces. HA. what KIND of inventing do they do anyway in their mama's BASEMENT?? i can ONE-up them BIG time on THIS debate. and THANKS for sending ME the certificate of authenticity. the paper it's PRINTED on is really authentic LOOKING. i'm looking at the certificate you sent me T3, LOOKING at it!! so i CAN shove this in THEIR faces! And do you know what I say? Ha ha! Do you hear me? Ha ha ha!

and by the way, kudos on that antibiotics invention. well done.

Yeah, but I invented the "silent but deadly"! :cool:

JSE

Lexmark3200
09-08-2005, 12:55 PM
And what proof do you have that you were there? A piece of barbeque chicken? A bowl of potato salad?. Anyone who reads the credits and acknowledgments in the front of a magazine can drop names. Your name dropping is no proof, and we are not convinced that ANYTHING you say is true. Now go back to begging Skok to beleive you!!

YOU dont have to believe me and personally I DONT CARE if you do or not.....I KNOW I was there, and thats the bottom line. And I dont have to beg Shok (you got his name wrong once again in a futile attempt to discourage me in your enragement which I think is HYSTERICAL) to believe me......he KNOWS the track was missing some bass. He acknowledged it. He understands that. No begging required here.

Maureen DOES make some kick ass barbeque though......

Lexmark3200
09-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Well, I grew up with Chris in Houston, Tx so that's a tad more than 6 years. Of course now, you change your story and say your not a freelance writer for Home Theater specifically, but just the other publications you mention. Well, I have Chris on the phone as I type this and he states that none of the DVD reviewers at Home Theater live anywhere near Las Vegas or Henderson, Nevada or even New York. And who said I mentioned the name Lexmark3200 to Chris? I used your real name. :cool:

For futher proof, here is part of the email Chris sent me earlier and I quote, I took our names out for security and privacy reasons.

" Yo ****, I have no idea who this **** **** is. I personally know all the reviewers and none of them are from Nevada or New York. I logged on to Audio Review and looked at some of his reviews. To be honest, we would not allow any of those reviews to be published in our magazine.

Anyway, how's the wife and dog. I will see you guys at Christmas.

Chris"

JSE

Yeah, right.....IM SURE those were his words......and you dont KNOW my real name or where I live RIGHT NOW as I keep that all secret, whether you THINK YOU DO or not-----that is NOT the real name I go under when I write articles and I DO know Maureen personally and it doesnt matter that you know THIS guy more years than I know Maureen their editor; I KNOW my material has been submitted to this book along with others so it doesnt matter what you try and say-----you DONT know my real name, never will and will never prove ANYTHING. I have moved alot since these articles have been printed, hence the freelancing tone of my work.

Again, I am looking at a paycheck RIGHT NOW that I received for freelance work in a DVD review publication. I dont think your "friend" is a real friend or person at all, if you ask me......you can make up words just as quickly as you accuse me of (falsely, by the way). So you dont prove anything.

At any rate, Gladiator's DTS ES mix was indeed active, hot and aggressive-----there were moments of some missing LFE, whether intentional or not, and I can recommend it, folks, over the Dolby Digital variants that are out there unless you MUST have the extras on the new extended version.

Lexmark3200
09-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Yeah, pathetic made up life.....riiiiiiiight.......whatever you say, buddy......it doesnt really matter because I see the money right in front of me for the work I do, so who's having the last laugh? That would be me....not you and your pathetically geeky friends online who think they're the big, bad "machine" who control the universe and harass other people via cyberspace......BELIEVE ME, Im laughing back just as hard at you every time I see my paychecks.

JSE
09-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Yeah, right.....IM SURE those were his words......and you dont KNOW my real name or where I live RIGHT NOW as I keep that all secret, whether you THINK YOU DO or not-----that is NOT the real name I go under when I write articles and I DO know Maureen personally and it doesnt matter that you know THIS guy more years than I know Maureen their editor; I KNOW my material has been submitted to this book along with others so it doesnt matter what you try and say-----you DONT know my real name, never will and will never prove ANYTHING. I have moved alot since these articles have been printed, hence the freelancing tone of my work.

Again, I am looking at a paycheck RIGHT NOW that I received for freelance work in a DVD review publication. I dont think your "friend" is a real friend or person at all, if you ask me......you can make up words just as quickly as you accuse me of (falsely, by the way). So you dont prove anything.

At any rate, Gladiator's DTS ES mix was indeed active, hot and aggressive-----there were moments of some missing LFE, whether intentional or not, and I can recommend it, folks, over the Dolby Digital variants that are out there unless you MUST have the extras on the new extended version.

Do you remember the movie, The Super with Joe Pesci? Remember when he went out and found his stripped car and his alarm went off and everyone laughed at him?

Well, your alarm just went off on your pathetic made up life and we are all laughing our arses off at you!

Have a good one!

JSE

kelsci
09-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi Lex; I am not going to get involved in this "fight" going on here. What I did do was pull GLADIATOR out of my brother's pile of DVDs and listened to it this afternoon A/B-ing the D.D.-DTS tracks on certain scenes and listening to the bass content as you suggested. My two subs are passive and are powered by the power amplifier section of a NAD integrated amplifier. This method seems to render a "different" result in comparison to what I have heard from a self-contained powered sub on other systems. I have never had the opportunity to hook up a powered sub to my system to see what "difference" might be heard soundwise. Anyway, usually when I use my current sub system, I find that the bass does not attract my attention to the sub, but seems to localize itself among my satellites usually with the D.D. track. When I have listened to DTS tracks, I felt the bass became localized to the sub, rather than the satellites which in my opinion is not the way a system should sound. This was not the case with GLADIATOR. The bass response localized itself very well with the satellites on this disc. It is possible that the phasing of the bass on the DTS track is making it seem like it is a little weak when it is probably working the way it should. Now remember this is my opinion and this opinion may not really be the true fact. The overall sound of the DTS track has more detail and can get louder than its D.D. counterpart and does so on this disc as well as JP111. In listening back and forth, at times I was pleased with either soundtrack because each had its own "nuances" coming out which is not quite easy for me to describe.

There was something that Sir T.T. said that got me thinking. I would think that there would be an original digital descrete sound master of a movie of a higher level than D.D. or DTS. That master would than be run through a respective D.D. and DTS encoder for reproduction for movie theaters and DVDs. Sir T.T. indicated that the D.D. tract for the DVD came from the same D.D. track used for the theaters while the DTS track was completely made new for the DVD. Even if this is so,I would think that the original master was still involved in the making of the D.D. track and then used for DTS-DVD encoding. I am defintely not familar with the use of any encoding machine because I am not in the audio end of the motion picture business. I would think that there must be settings on these devices that might effect the outcome of the encoded sound from the master such as LFE effects as an example. In a sense, I think we have to look at D.D. and DTS as a imperfect duplicate of the master but nevertheless quite listenable. Perhaps someday, there will be codecs that can be used to reproduce the master more perfectly-perhaps DTS 96/24 is one such codec and there are perhaps others.

Woochifer
09-08-2005, 02:03 PM
It most certainly is, my delicious, scrumptious Woochie! Wow....I'm impressed.....just as active at tracking me down across cyberspace, huh? This site is only the TIP of the iceburg regarding sites I online review for, whether you chose to believe that or not.

And what sites would those be? You still haven't explained which site you're a "senior disc reviewer" for.

Lexmark3200
09-08-2005, 02:19 PM
"Hi Lex; I am not going to get involved in this "fight" going on here."

Hello Kel! Hope you and your family are doing well with all that's going on with Katrina; hope it didn't affect your region.

"What I did do was pull GLADIATOR out of my brother's pile of DVDs and listened to it this afternoon A/B-ing the D.D.-DTS tracks on certain scenes and listening to the bass content as you suggested. My two subs are passive and are powered by the power amplifier section of a NAD integrated amplifier. This method seems to render a "different" result in comparison to what I have heard from a self-contained powered sub on other systems. I have never had the opportunity to hook up a powered sub to my system to see what "difference" might be heard soundwise. Anyway, usually when I use my current sub system, I find that the bass does not attract my attention to the sub, but seems to localize itself among my satellites usually with the D.D. track. When I have listened to DTS tracks, I felt the bass became localized to the sub, rather than the satellites which in my opinion is not the way a system should sound. This was not the case with GLADIATOR. The bass response localized itself very well with the satellites on this disc. It is possible that the phasing of the bass on the DTS track is making it seem like it is a little weak when it is probably working the way it should."

That could VERY WELL be, and I am NOT disputing that; I merely wanted to point out that there WAS a slight lack of heft to those scenes I documented where if you were to adjust sub levels, the impact was much more forceful.

"Now remember this is my opinion and this opinion may not really be the true fact. The overall sound of the DTS track has more detail and can get louder than its D.D. counterpart and does so on this disc as well as JP111."

ABSOLUTELY agreed.

"In listening back and forth, at times I was pleased with either soundtrack because each had its own "nuances" coming out which is not quite easy for me to describe."

I can totally understand what you mean, however, I do feel the DTS mix "opened up" this soundstage a whole lot more when going back and forth between it and the Dolby track. That's all I was trying to report.

The best to you and your family, my friend! And thank you for taking the time to A/B the scenes I mentioned for bass quality control in Gladiator! No matter what anyone thinks of the scientifics, this sure makes a heck of an evening's entertainment in DTS ES flavor!

09-08-2005, 03:17 PM
There was something that Sir T.T. said that got me thinking. I would think that there would be an original digital descrete sound master of a movie of a higher level than D.D. or DTS.

There is indeed, the original mix stems before encoding are readily available.

That master would than be run through a respective D.D. and DTS encoder for reproduction for movie theaters and DVDs.

This is also correct. However, after encoding you might want to tweak the mix. The Dolby DP-569 encoder and DP-564 professional decoder by which all DVD have been encoded and decoded by, have a phase lag of 180 degrees at 60-70hz, and a whopping 225 degree lag in the LFE when compared to the bass in the main channels. In order to correct this and tighten up the sound of the bass overall, you might want to apply a simular reverse phase at 80hz of + 225 degrees phase lead to the LFE to compensate for the lag. Dolby digital encoding also does some pretty screwy things with the center channel that has to be compensated for.

I have largely discovered no particular problem with Dts encoding at either of its bitrates.

Sir T.T. indicated that the D.D. tract for the DVD came from the same D.D. track used for the theaters while the DTS track was completely made new for the DVD. Even if this is so,I would think that the original master was still involved in the making of the D.D. track and then used for DTS-DVD encoding.

This is not so. Two different masters were created from the original stems, each with different sample and resolution rates. One master was struck for the theatrical release, and encoded at 320kbps, at 16bits, and at the 48khz sample rate. That same master was used for the DVD release at 448kbps.

For Dts a completely different master was struck from the same original stems, but encoded at 754kbps at 24bit, and a 48khz sample rate, and with a discrete rear center signal. This soundtrack could not be the same as the Dolby soundtrack because dolby center rear is matrixed, and therefore cannot be converted to discrete for Dts.

You can have many masters derived from the same stems, but they have different eq, different spatial placements, which equal a very different sound. One could have more LFE than the next.

I am defintely not familar with the use of any encoding machine because I am not in the audio end of the motion picture business. I would think that there must be settings on these devices that might effect the outcome of the encoded sound from the master such as LFE effects as an example.

When it comes to the Dolby digital encoder, it has provisions to setup sample rates, many filters, the ability to send downmix instructions, timecode, and various other compensation tools.

The Dts encoder is pretty featureless in that it wasn't designed to alter any information from the original master. Front-panel controls include SURROUND GAIN, TIMECODE MODE. LFE ON/OFF, DVD DATA RATE and RESET. That is it.

Between the two encoders, Dts offers the most "pure" path of the two.

In a sense, I think we have to look at D.D. and DTS as a imperfect duplicate of the master but nevertheless quite listenable. Perhaps someday, there will be codecs that can be used to reproduce the master more perfectly-perhaps DTS 96/24 is one such codec and there are perhaps others.

In listening test conducted at AES several years ago, nobody could distinguish the printmaster from Dts encoding at 1.5kbps. I would hardly call that a imperfect copy. Dts has done many listening test to professional audio engineers long before releasing its encoder/decoder combination to the studios. None of the audio engineers which include Tom Jung, Tom Norton of Stereophile, and Brad Harrison of Mobilefile records could tell the difference between their master tapes, and Dts encoding at 1.5mbps.

However it was already established by Solodrae in a paper submitted to AES volume 46 #3 that Dolby digital at any bitrate is not transparent when compared to the original masters.

RGA
09-08-2005, 06:09 PM
Umm people could find out where you live Lexmark without a whole lot of trouble. No one would go after you anyway as you're worth nobodies' time. I simply asked you to provide prrof of the things you say -- it gives you far more credibility. I disagree with Roger Ebert from time to time and very much disagree with George Bush -- but I'm not tracking them down and trying to shoot them.

I'm not sure how a senior disc reviewer, like you claimed earlier, has changed to freelance reviewer? I don't see John Marks, John Atkinson or any major reviewer even using different names on forums. My name is my initials. I believe one should be putting their name behind the stuffthey say -- even if we say stupid things and it comes back to get us in the end === and I've made doozies

And sorry this guy knows how to write an eloquent review -- I suspected before that you don't really write for a good outfit because the reviews don't seem professional or particularly artistically insightful.

Gladiator by a real outfit http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/entertainment/movies/reviews/gladiatorhunter.htm

And honestly the effect in Gladiator truly stink up the joint http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000505/REVIEWS/5050301/1023

And http://www.nytimes.com/library/film/050500gladiator-film-review.html
http://salon.com/ent/movies/review/2000/05/05/gladiator/index.html
http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/2000-05-04/film.html

kelsci
09-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Hello your Lordship, Sir T.T.; Your response was most interesting and to say the least supplied a wealth of information. I hope all interested board members of audioreview get to read your response relative to the thoughts I had about D.D. and DTS. What is significant here is what is called the original STEM which is applied to the various encoders to make some kind of appropriate D.D. and DTS masters. I think in hi-fi circles years ago, the words "pure path" was known as "straight wire without gain" which seems to be the case here for encoded DTS tracks. Thanks your Lordship.

Hi Lex; Glad to oblige you in listening to both tracks on GLADIATOR.

JSE
09-09-2005, 06:54 AM
Umm people could find out where you live Lexmark without a whole lot of trouble.

Lex seems to forget we live in a very "public" and "open" world. Anyone with about 10 minutes to spare could find his addresses, DOB, vehicle info, etc. The internet can be a very good thing and a very bad thing.

Anyone who uses the interenet consistently for various purposes and thinks they are completely anonymous is sadly mistaken. I am very careful to never give out anything more than my screen name and only limited other info. However, I am sure if someone really wanted to find out who I was and had the means, they could.

JSE

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah, okay right, RGA and JSE......you're gonna be able to "find" me.....and how exactly are you going to do that? That would NEVER happen number one, number two, dont you think YOU would be as easily found via those methods on MY end of that was even remotely true? And third, do you even think for ONE SECOND I would let anyone harm my family members or myself without some kind of police intervention which is EASILY within my grasp because I have a cousin in the FBI? If this is some kind of threat gentlemen, dont even bother because I will be involved with law enforcement for ANY intrusion on my privacy or family----but I'd like to see you try anyway; come over to my house; just show up one day and let's see what happens, if you have that power. I'll have you arrested so quick you wont know what hit you------if you DO happen to possess this "magical public seeking power."

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Yeah, okay right, RGA and JSE......you're gonna be able to "find" me.....and how exactly are you going to do that? That would NEVER happen number one, number two, dont you think YOU would be as easily found via those methods on MY end of that was even remotely true? And third, do you even think for ONE SECOND I would let anyone harm my family members or myself without some kind of police intervention which is EASILY within my grasp because I have a cousin in the FBI? If this is some kind of threat gentlemen, dont even bother because I will be involved with law enforcement for ANY intrusion on my privacy or family----but I'd like to see you try anyway; come over to my house; just show up one day and let's see what happens, if you have that power. I'll have you arrested so quick you wont know what hit you------if you DO happen to possess this "magical public seeking power."

And you're gonna find my address and DOB and vehicle type with what, JSE----the name of Lexmark3200? Good luck. I wish it to you in spades.

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Listen moron, FIRST OF ALL I DID NOT give you my REAL NAME and you are AWFULLY STUPID if you think I ever would-----that is a simple fabrication and downright misconception on your part-----Im not paranoid, Im just making it PERFECTLY CLEAR that you will not come near me or any member of my family without police intervention because thats what your posts hinted at-----what you THINK is my real name is NOT my real name and we do not in fact live in Vegas-----actually quite far. I told Worf that because while Im in the VICINITY of the western region, I get to Vegas quite often ---- do you think I would actually let *******s like you know where I live? THIS is the exact reason why I wouldnt.

So go count your "winnings" wherever you want-----the Bellagio, Paris, Flamingo-----they're all crap in handing out jackpots as are most of the points on the Strip.

JSE
09-09-2005, 10:27 AM
And you're gonna find my address and DOB and vehicle type with what, JSE----the name of Lexmark3200? Good luck. I wish it to you in spades.

First of all, no one is threatening you, you paranoid freak. I was just pointing out that many poeple, yourself included, seem to think that just beacuse they are "anonymous" on the internet they think they are 100% invisible in terms of who they really are. That's just not the case. Many people also use their real names on sites and that's just not safe when anyone can see that information. That's why most people don't get on the internet and say my name is John Smith and I am from Houston, Tx and I have 1 million tucked away in my closet. That would just be stupid because someone just might ring that person's doorbell one day and take it.

Second, who said someone would look you up under the name Lexmark3200? That would be stupid. They would use your real name and most of us know your real name because you have told us before, genius! :rolleyes:

And the next time I am in Vegas, I will have better things to do than come to your house and confront you as you mentioned in your previous post. I'll be kicking back in my suite at the Bellagio counting my winnings.

JSE

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Whatever.....blah blah blah blah blah......more hot air; I think you're intelligent enough to figure out that when I say "vicinity" or "region" that refers to pretty much one and the same thing: either the Nevada AREA or perhaps surrounding areas such as Phoenix or Santa Fe, eh?

JSE
09-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Listen moron, FIRST OF ALL I DID NOT give you my REAL NAME and you are AWFULLY STUPID if you think I ever would-----that is a simple fabrication and downright misconception on your part-----Im not paranoid, Im just making it PERFECTLY CLEAR that you will not come near me or any member of my family without police intervention because thats what your posts hinted at-----what you THINK is my real name is NOT my real name and we do not in fact live in Vegas-----actually quite far. I told Worf that because while Im in the VICINITY of the western region, I get to Vegas quite often ---- do you think I would actually let *******s like you know where I live? THIS is the exact reason why I wouldnt.

So go count your "winnings" wherever you want-----the Bellagio, Paris, Flamingo-----they're all crap in handing out jackpots as are most of the points on the Strip.

Man, your story changes all the time. Why do you think I would ever come near you or your family? When have I ever said that?

BTW, Vicinity of the western region? Classic!

You go Lex!

JSE

JSE
09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Whatever.....blah blah blah blah blah......more hot air; I think you're intelligent enough to figure out that when I say "vicinity" or "region" that refers to pretty much one and the same thing: either the Nevada AREA or perhaps surrounding areas such as Phoenix or Santa Fe, eh?

What's was hot air about that? Did you forget to take your meds again? Your starting to ramble.

JSE

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Once again, Blah Blah Blah Blah.......there was more meaningless rambling from you which is pointless and has no directive; there sure was a whole lot of hot air being delivered there, leading me to suspect that it is you who was not being given you fair share of Lithium by the Terrible Idiot, and I did ask him to pass those damn drugs around to you guys!

Kam
09-09-2005, 11:01 AM
What's was hot air about that? Did you forget to take your meds again? Your starting to ramble.

JSE

"starting" ???
:D

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 11:06 AM
I know I specifically ordered 50 mgs. of Lithium for Kam personally; now where did that prescription go? Damn.......

JSE
09-09-2005, 11:26 AM
"starting" ???

Good Point. :rolleyes:

JSE

noddin0ff
09-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Whoa... Did Lex forget to wear his aluminum foil deflector beanie today?

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 11:27 AM
The Lithium is calling, fellas......take it.....and quick.........

JSE
09-09-2005, 11:29 AM
What is that supposed to mean?

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Whoa... Did Lex forget to wear his aluminum foil deflector beanie today?

What is that supposed to mean?

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 11:36 AM
"Hi Lex; Glad to oblige you in listening to both tracks on GLADIATOR."

Hey Kel, My Good Friend!

Yes, the only way to truly get a sense of what is going on between these two soundtracks is to A/B 'em and the differences become clear. Thank you again for taking the time to confirm for me that there are in fact inherent differences in these mixes by doing your own sampling.

Enjoy your weekend, and hope you and your family remain safe and well!

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 11:37 AM
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Hmmmm.....interesting.....fact of the matter is I'm the furthest thing from paranoid and all I was doing was making it perfectly clear that my privacy was not going to be invaded and if any such attempt was made I WAS going to have police involvement a priority; was just making that crystal clear to those of you who have the "magic button" on finding and tracking people down----try it and see if I'm kidding about how fast I will have the law involved.

JSE
09-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Hmmmm.....interesting.....fact of the matter is I'm the furthest thing from paranoid and all I was doing was making it perfectly clear that my privacy was not going to be invaded and if any such attempt was made I WAS going to have police involvement a priority; was just making that crystal clear to those of you who have the "magic button" on finding and tracking people down----try it and see if I'm kidding about how fast I will have the law involved.

Yeah, your not paranoid? :confused:

Just to clarify, Myself nor anyone else is saying they are going to track you down. You can rest easy now. And if anyone did, nothing illegal about that. Just access to public information, readily available on the internet to anyone and everyone.

JSE

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm resting just fine, JSE.....and if you THINK there is NOTHING illegal about invading someone's privacy, you're in for a very rude awakening, my friend.

JSE
09-09-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm resting just fine, JSE.....and if you THINK there is NOTHING illegal about invading someone's privacy, you're in for a very rude awakening, my friend.

So if someone were to look up public information about you, they would be invading your privacy? Remember the key word here is "public". Please explain this to me because I am just not getting it. So if you were to look up "JSE" in the phone book, you would be invading my privacy? Assuming that was my real name.

Oh, and I am not your friend.

JSE

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Thats right-----it WOULD be invading privacy because you have taken it upon yourself to go out of your way to "find" someone and that indicates aggressive behavior with intent to do harm----I never gave you my real name, never will, and your attempts are pointless and completely idiotic.

And BELIEVE YOU ME, I KNOW you are not my friend, nor are you mine.....that was a bit of sarcasm.....havent forgotten how to use that yet, have you? FAR FROM anything that would resemble a friend in my eyes.

JSE
09-09-2005, 12:22 PM
that indicates aggressive behavior with intent to do harm

Huh? Where did you get that from? When have I ever threatened you with physical harm? Please, show me. Now you on the other hand, you have threatened several members on this forum with physical harm. You have told me and others that you would kick our arses if you ever saw us and you have wished death on other members of this forum. Now who has threatened who, Lex? Remember Lex, you live in a delusional world full of fantasy and delusions of grandure (sp?). Half those things spinning around in that soft melon you call a head are not reality.

And you might want to read up on the law. Looking up public information on someone is not illegal. Not at all. Not that anyone would waste time on yours.

JSE

noddin0ff
09-09-2005, 12:41 PM
I wonder if AFDB's interfere with LFE perception?

JSE
09-09-2005, 12:49 PM
I wonder if AFDB's interfere with LFE perception?

Maybe we can do some DBT's on Lex and the Subs.

JSE

shokhead
09-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Thats right-----it WOULD be invading privacy because you have taken it upon yourself to go out of your way to "find" someone and that indicates aggressive behavior with intent to do harm----I never gave you my real name, never will, and your attempts are pointless and completely idiotic.

And BELIEVE YOU ME, I KNOW you are not my friend, nor are you mine.....that was a bit of sarcasm.....havent forgotten how to use that yet, have you? FAR FROM anything that would resemble a friend in my eyes.

I'm you friend and i dont want to hurt anybody. Can i come over and we'll watch Gladiator? :confused:

Woochifer
09-09-2005, 01:45 PM

Just as you've never given us any "real" credentials, "real" qualifications, or "real" citations to all of that wonderful published work that you claim to have written. All of this meandering around the point just to avoid the direct and simple questions regarding which web sites you have been anointed "senior disc reviewer" and which published articles you've actually written. People I've known who work as entertainment journalists/reviewers would simply point to pages upon pages of published work if anyone ever questioned their professional credentials. And rather than engaging in accusation and evasion exercises, they would simply let the quality of their work speak for itself. Unfortunately, the quality of the reviews you've made all over the internet does not afford you that luxury, hence the paranoid and defensive pattern of response that you have engaged in.

BTW, did you actually measure the LFE output or objectively observe how much bass information is actually getting channeled through the subwoofer output independent of the bass management/crossover?

Kam
09-09-2005, 02:29 PM
BTW, did you actually measure the LFE output or objectively observe how much bass information is actually getting channeled through the subwoofer output independent of the bass management/crossover?

wooch... c'mon now... you know better than to phrase your question intelligently, monosyllables and no technically correct jargon only please! how are you going to get a response with that question?? you need subjective meanderings down a vague pathway lined with bs. BELIEVE me. then you'll get a response.

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Just as you've never given us any "real" credentials, "real" qualifications, or "real" citations to all of that wonderful published work that you claim to have written. All of this meandering around the point just to avoid the direct and simple questions regarding which web sites you have been anointed "senior disc reviewer" and which published articles you've actually written. People I've known who work as entertainment journalists/reviewers would simply point to pages upon pages of published work if anyone ever questioned their professional credentials. And rather than engaging in accusation and evasion exercises, they would simply let the quality of their work speak for itself. Unfortunately, the quality of the reviews you've made all over the internet does not afford you that luxury, hence the paranoid and defensive pattern of response that you have engaged in.

Boy, is this a BUNCH of hot air if I've EVER read it.....do you honestly think that my REAL credentials would openly be given now that these threats have been lobbed at me? You have another thing coming, Woochie. And in answer to your bottom question: when I hand in DVD review "roundups" all we are required to deliver are our INTERPRETATIONS upon first listen of the tracks, and that's what I write about. If you want to continue your barrage of irrelevant nonsense regarding subwoofer output being independent of a crossover or bass management system, so be it......I will stick with the notion, confirmed by others on my editorial staff, that there is a lack of bass in these scenes on the DTS ES track----intentional or otherwise.

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Huh? Where did you get that from? When have I ever threatened you with physical harm? Please, show me. Now you on the other hand, you have threatened several members on this forum with physical harm. You have told me and others that you would kick our arses if you ever saw us and you have wished death on other members of this forum. Now who has threatened who, Lex? Remember Lex, you live in a delusional world full of fantasy and delusions of grandure (sp?). Half those things spinning around in that soft melon you call a head are not reality.

And you might want to read up on the law. Looking up public information on someone is not illegal. Not at all. Not that anyone would waste time on yours.

JSE

Really? With all the energy you are putting into this post and constantly persuing this venture with me, you wouldnt want to waste your time on me? Seems very contradicting. AND I HAVE THREATENED OTHERS ON THIS BOARD WITH PHYSICAL HARM? Now I know you are smoking something much more serious than crack here, JSE-----give me some of whatever it is because it's clearly good.

I HAVE read up on the law. You want to bet that merely suggesting that you are going to track someone down or have the ability to is illegal and considered a threat? I do NOT live in ANY world full of ANY fantasy and you wanna compare soft melons? ANY TIME, pal.....any time.....YOU are the one not living in reality, plain and simple. You prove it with EVERY SINGLE POST you make on here and I LOVE proving myself right each time.

Dont waste time on me, like I give a ****; but I guess you'll answer this post once again because you just cant resist, huh? I LOVE how I have a complete imbicile who hides behind his computer under my thumb just like you......LOVE it!

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm you friend and i dont want to hurt anybody. Can i come over and we'll watch Gladiator? :confused:

You sure can, Shok! Anytime, my man! ONLY in DTS ES mode, of course!

shokhead
09-09-2005, 04:01 PM
I cant wait for another review.
With hunting and drugs and FBI,this is a movie waiting to happen.

Lexmark3200
09-09-2005, 04:02 PM
wooch... c'mon now... you know better than to phrase your question intelligently, monosyllables and no technically correct jargon only please! how are you going to get a response with that question?? you need subjective meanderings down a vague pathway lined with bs. BELIEVE me. then you'll get a response.

LMFAO......now THAT is pretty humorous.......

Woochifer
09-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Boy, is this a BUNCH of hot air if I've EVER read it.....do you honestly think that my REAL credentials would openly be given now that these threats have been lobbed at me? You have another thing coming, Woochie. And in answer to your bottom question: when I hand in DVD review "roundups" all we are required to deliver are our INTERPRETATIONS upon first listen of the tracks, and that's what I write about.

Give it a rest, your credentials were never "real" or "openly" given out even before you conjured up your latest evasionary attempt.

"Threats"? So, that's your new synonym for Google searching, mmmm hmmm. :rolleyes: Just another fabrication and strawman method of changing the subject. Nobody has threatened you, and even the most paranoid mindset cannot truthfully construe it as such, which means that you're full of crap with this diversion.

All that I've been asking for is some citation to these websites where you're a "senior disc reviewer" or citations to these published articles that you keep mentioning as proof of your professional credentials. You mention these "roundups" -- okay, why don't you tell us where we can actually read them, and decide on the merit of your credentials for ourselves? If these "roundups" actually exist, I would think that you would have posted them by now, since you're so into waving your "professional" credentials around at every opportunity. Since you haven't posted squat, hmmm ... maybe these published articles don't exist! Wow!

Since your refusal to cite anything has nothing to do with your personal safety, then the only logical conclusion is that your credentials have as little merit as the defensive and evasive responses that you post.

If you want to continue your barrage of irrelevant nonsense regarding subwoofer output being independent of a crossover or bass management system, so be it......I will stick with the notion, confirmed by others on my editorial staff, that there is a lack of bass in these scenes on the DTS ES track----intentional or otherwise.

Irrelevant nonsense? LOL Just because you lack the technical know-how to interpret my inquiry is no reason to get testy on us! :D Like I asked, have you actually tested the LFE track level (independent of the bass that gets crossed over from the L/C/R/RS/BS/LS channels)? Your contention was about the LFE track, and you obviously have not done your homework on what the content of the LFE track actually is versus the low frequency content that gets rechanneled to the subwoofer output from the other channels. Do you even know how to isolate the LFE track so that it can be measured? Obviously not.

"my editorial staff" -- and who would that be? Which website or magazine are you referring to? Time to put up or shut up.

E-Stat
09-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Time to put up or shut up.
Yo, guys. Botha yuz. Take a powder, k?

rw

JSE
09-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Really? With all the energy you are putting into this post and constantly persuing this venture with me, you wouldnt want to waste your time on me? Seems very contradicting. AND I HAVE THREATENED OTHERS ON THIS BOARD WITH PHYSICAL HARM? Now I know you are smoking something much more serious than crack here, JSE-----give me some of whatever it is because it's clearly good.

I HAVE read up on the law. You want to bet that merely suggesting that you are going to track someone down or have the ability to is illegal and considered a threat? I do NOT live in ANY world full of ANY fantasy and you wanna compare soft melons? ANY TIME, pal.....any time.....YOU are the one not living in reality, plain and simple. You prove it with EVERY SINGLE POST you make on here and I LOVE proving myself right each time.

Dont waste time on me, like I give a ****; but I guess you'll answer this post once again because you just cant resist, huh? I LOVE how I have a complete imbicile who hides behind his computer under my thumb just like you......LOVE it!

You are truly delusional and alone in your reality. :confused:

JSE

dean_martin
09-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Yeah, but I invented the "silent but deadly"! :cool:

JSE

Sir T may have invented the fart, but JSE perfected it. That's not an opinon. That's what I observed.

topspeed
09-09-2005, 09:42 PM
After reading this thread, I think y'all need to downshift a gear or two here. There are two things that have become abundantly clear in the last four pages:

1) The more you directly attack Lex, the more paranoid he becomes. This will lead nowhere.
2) You are missing this simple fact: You can't proclaim a man a "fraud" if the man actually believes his own story.
This second one is important. You guys need to understand that to Lex, he really is a published DVD reviewer and no amount of badgering is going to penetrate this world he has created. Don't forget, he came back to this site after his partner dumped him and he moved back in with his folks. There's a very good chance that his capacities are pretty fragile, if not cracked.

If you're going to do anything, recommend some help.

RGA
09-10-2005, 06:23 PM

I don't think there is a big enough team available for what he needs. he said he works for Home Theater Magazine as the chief reivewer right -- so read the reviews -- none are written as badly as he writes here -- so he clearly does not write for HTM. I will contact Riddly Scott - as I have a friend who worked with Scott on Alien. He'll address the interview Lex claims to have had.

09-10-2005, 08:04 PM
I don't think there is a big enough team available for what he needs. he said he works for Home Theater Magazine as the chief reivewer right -- so read the reviews -- none are written as badly as he writes here -- so he clearly does not write for HTM. I will contact Riddly Scott - as I have a friend who worked with Scott on Alien. He'll address the interview Lex claims to have had.

I think what is worse is he clearly violates the first law of review writing. He gives up way too much of the story line. Getting into the story line is supposed to be a tease, something that inspires or stimulates our curiosity. When I did reviews for Surround professional, one of the first things the editor told me was to keep my desciptions of the story line short and sweet, and focus on the technical merits of the DVD. If I was going to challenge anything, be ready to support my challenge with graphs, analysis, or any proof to support that challenge. That is the second rule he violates. The third would be second guessing the product which was forbidden. The movies vision belongs to the director, the sound to the re-recording engineer or sound designer. If they let the DVD released with a soundtrack that is weak, that is what they approved. We just review what is there, and not interject anything else. Fourth, your A/V equipment had to be properly calibrated, both audio and video, and the components would have to be of decent quality.

On all of these points he is a complete and utter failure, which leads me to believe he is living in the land of make believe.

JSE
09-11-2005, 10:22 AM
After reading this thread, I think y'all need to downshift a gear or two here. There are two things that have become abundantly clear in the last four pages:

1) The more you directly attack Lex, the more paranoid he becomes. This will lead nowhere.
2) You are missing this simple fact: You can't proclaim a man a "fraud" if the man actually believes his own story.
This second one is important. You guys need to understand that to Lex, he really is a published DVD reviewer and no amount of badgering is going to penetrate this world he has created. Don't forget, he came back to this site after his partner dumped him and he moved back in with his folks. There's a very good chance that his capacities are pretty fragile, if not cracked.

I hear ya T-Speed. As you know, a few of us have been confronting this character for a couple of years now and it's still does not get old, at least for me. He is a LIAR in everyway possible way and a Fraud. It's just plain fun to push his buttons and watch him squirm. He get's what he deserves. Mr Aruti simply has a pathetic life and lives in a world of fantasy. If he would just admit to a few simple things and above all be open to constructive critisim, then he would be taken much more seriously. But he can't. He is always right and lies with every word he writes. He is a pussing blister on this site.

JSE

GMichael
08-19-2010, 05:54 AM
I hear ya T-Speed. As you know, a few of us have been confronting this character for a couple of years now and it's still does not get old, at least for me. He is a LIAR in everyway possible way and a Fraud. It's just plain fun to push his buttons and watch him squirm. He get's what he deserves. Mr Aruti simply has a pathetic life and lives in a world of fantasy. If he would just admit to a few simple things and above all be open to constructive critisim, then he would be taken much more seriously. But he can't. He is always right and lies with every word he writes. He is a pussing blister on this site.

JSE

Stop holding everything inside JSE. It's bad for you.

Geoffcin
08-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Stop holding everything inside JSE. It's bad for you.

How old is the post your replying to?

GMichael
08-19-2010, 06:50 AM
How old is the post your replying to?
It's old thread resurection day.

08-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey, thanks for the B-day present LOLOLOL :lol:. It just does not get any better than this.......the good ole days (sighs)

3LB
08-20-2010, 02:35 PM
the more things change, the more they stay the same