What is Bit Torrant? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is Bit Torrant?

EdwardGein
08-31-2005, 10:03 AM
Can someone tell me what this is & where I can download this from? I stumbled on a site that
has some good free music downloads but it says they'll only play if you have bit torrant. Can someone please clue me in on what this is and where to download it. Thanks for any help

noddin0ff
08-31-2005, 10:19 AM
http://www.bittorrent.com/

EdwardGein
08-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks Appreciate it I should have googled it My brain went dead

Breezer88888
08-31-2005, 11:19 AM
What is the downside to this site? I was looking at Torrent Spy, which sounds similar. I am asking because I've used WinMX where the result after a few weeks was noticeably sluggish performance on my PC. And sometimes you'd get the dreaded blue screen error messages. I've cleaned up my PC since and have gotten into the routine of using and updating Virus/Spyware/Adware protection software. If those are the types of problems that come with "free" music and/or videos, the price is too high. AR users, please post your feedback on torrent spy or bit torrent. Thanks!!

EdwardGein
08-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Well I guess I'll hold up then as that's not worth it to me. I will say that when I download WIN MX at someones suggestion here, I got no adware. I didn't use it though because all the stuff I like- mainly blues/rock from the 60/70's if it didn't sell big, isn't on there.

Woochifer
08-31-2005, 03:35 PM
What is the downside to this site? I was looking at Torrent Spy, which sounds similar. I am asking because I've used WinMX where the result after a few weeks was noticeably sluggish performance on my PC. And sometimes you'd get the dreaded blue screen error messages. I've cleaned up my PC since and have gotten into the routine of using and updating Virus/Spyware/Adware protection software. If those are the types of problems that come with "free" music and/or videos, the price is too high. AR users, please post your feedback on torrent spy or bit torrent. Thanks!!

BitTorrent itself is a relatively clean program, but it does ask for donations. Other variants of the "official" BitTorrent program might pack other spyware into the package. Also, because of how the tracker files connect to so many computers and servers simultaneously with an unsecured connection, a lot of spyware blockers will flag BitTorrent as spyware or a security risk. The other security holes of course are the files that you download using BitTorrent. Unless you trust the source, a lot of viruses can go out in a relatively short amount of time since BitTorrent files spread faster as more users try to download a file simultaneously.

I used BitTorrent a couple of times earlier in the year when I forgot to set my VCR to tape 24, and downloaded the episodes so that I could keep up with the storyline. The sites that I downloaded from have since been shut down, and apparently that frequently happens to the most heavily visited Torrent sites.

All in all, I must say that BitTorrent is a very ingenius piece of programming because it spreads the uploading bandwidth across the internet rather than relying on a centralized server(s). For anybody who wants to distribute large files of any kind but can't afford the bandwidth for a remote server or the IT budget to maintain their own servers, this is a great tool. The original programmer envisioned BitTorrent as a distribution tool for large open source software files, or for internal corporate file sharing between remote offices. But, of course, the most popular use of BitTorrent has turned into downloading copyrighted movies, TV shows, and music.

The main drawback is that it is a security breach waiting to happen, and I uninstalled BitTorrent a while ago. My office uses a firewall, but when I had BitTorrent up and running, my IP address was on display for anyone who wanted to see it. And the only people I know of who would want to know my IP address would likely be hackers or MPAA/RIAA attorneys! Either way, these are not people I'd like to spend much time with.

EdwardGein
08-31-2005, 03:50 PM
www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 if this doesn't work go to grc.com and scroll down etc. to Shields Up Test Let me know if your IP address comes up? I test common ports & all service ports on this.

Breezer88888
08-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi Ed,
I didn't mean to imply that I had used Torrent at all, it was Win MX that seemed to have been the root of the problems that I experienced. I will look into Torrent a little more, but Woochifer's comment about displaying my IP address is a major drawback. Torrent is like a supermarket shelf of potato chips. And I know once I start, it won't be just one chip.
Breezer

EdwardGein
08-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Out of curiosity try Shields Up. I'm perfect but my ISP address is never hidden.

HAVIC
09-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Out of curiosity try Shields Up. I'm perfect but my ISP address is never hidden

EdwardGein - your ip address will always be seen. To hide it you can use a program like Steganos Internet Anonym Pro 7.0.4, but it will slow your connection down. It works by bouncing your signal all over the world, to get to where you want to go.

Also, Woochifer, not only is BitTorrent a security risk, I've seen lots of virus' attached to BitTorrent's and even of some BitTorrent websites.

The other major problem with BitTorrent is your ISP. Your ISP can severly slow down your internet access if they see you using this type of technology. Most ISP's cap your upload bandwith because typically you only need to download from the web not upload. The way BitTorrent works is it will only let you download as long as you upload to the BitTorrent community as a whole and you will always upload faster than you download. When most ISP's see this massive upload they assume you have some type of server running and either kill your internet speed until you call or they cut you off complete until you call. You have to read your acceptable use policy (AUP) from your ISP. The reason why business class internet is so much more expensive is for those upload reasons.

End of story BitTorrent is not a solution only a problem, if you are that interested in what BitTorrent offers search the web, there are better alternatives, but are more "techie".

Jim Clark
09-01-2005, 03:53 PM
There is some mis-information here concerning a product I love so I'll add a bit to the discussion. There are a number of BitTorrent programs, some better than others. The most popular contain no adware or spyware. BitTornado for example is so clean that it shines. Like most open source products someone is bound to jack with it but reliable versions exist all over the place. The products work amazingly well once configured to work with your set up. In most instances where running XP and a firewall all that is required for basic performance is to foward a port, or a range of ports and give that product the authorization it needs to communicate via the firewall. FAQ's abound.

Performance is stellar. Whoever said that uploads are always faster than the downloads doesn't know what they're talking about. My ISP caps my upload speed at 48 kBs but my download speed is capable of at least 380 kBs and I've downloaded torrents at that speed. My average speed is probably about 150 kBs and my ratio is excellent at all my sites. How fast the torrent transfers depends on the number of open connections and if the others in the swarm have their PC's set up correctly. It is true, you must upload as this is the basis for the entire program. Many sites have ratio requirements in order to maintain membership. If you fall below the ratio, generally around 25% you're cut off forever. Best to read the rules first. You should know that you are visible when you use BitTorrent and should you be doing something illegal, you can be tracked. I wouldn't download a movie or commercial CD under any circumstances.

BitTorrent, and specifically BitTornado are invaluable to me and my risk of viruses or other malicious programs is zero because of the types of files that I download. You can of course download anything from commerical software to major Hollywood movies but that's not what I download, if you do, you may get what you deserve.

Here are some of the coolest sites I've come across. I only frequent sites that aren't illegal although I realize that there are some that would quesiton the legality of these sites, I would disagree with those folks:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/ This is the best lossless bootleg recording site on the internet. No MP3's or shows sourced from any lossy format of any kind allowed. All d/l's are compressed with lossless compression techniques primarily FLAC and SHN although occasionally I'll see an APE. This place comes up with shows you'd never think you'd see and everything that you'd expect.

http://www.purelivegigs.com/forums/ Another lossless bootleg site. Occasionally the site owners will host these shows themselves and you can download an entire show is less than 10 minutes. Freaking amazing

http://www.thetradersden.org/ another lossless forum that typically caters more to the classic rock folks although I did find an awesome boot there from The Faint.

If anyone has any invites to http://www.indietorrents.com/ I'd love to talk to you about what I can offer in exchange for entrance into the site!

Regards,
jc

swicken
09-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Simple explanation:
BitTorrent is a way to share **** without having 1 server bogged to hell.
Each person shares a bit, each person takes a bit.
It's downfall, the fact that less people want to share then want to take, so a lot of the time theres more people taking and that just makes everyone slow.
It's advantages, shared resources, ability to guarentee what you're getting is what you want.

In some cases it works amazingly, in other cases it sucks the big one.