Universal Remotes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Universal Remotes

zoomingm3
08-31-2005, 06:35 AM
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes.

I'm thinking about purchasing a new universal remote to control 4 (AVR, TV, DVD & Cable Box) devices. I don't see myself needing a remote with capability of controling up to 15 devices but I would like one that would handle up to 8. The key of course is to find a remote that will control the 4 devices I already have, they are as follows:

TV - Samsung (DLP)
AVR - Pioneer
DVD - JVC
Cable Box - Motorola

Is there a universal remote that will control the above manufactures products and still be reasonably priced?

Thanks for the help.

EdwardGein
08-31-2005, 07:39 AM
What's your definition of reasonably priced? For about $125 with Shipping you can get a new Harmony 676 Universal Remote onlinefor which all programing is done by computer download off their site (or you can call them & they'll download it) for which I have 2 of them for my bedroom & living room systems. If you have 2 different TV's like I do, you need 2 different controls (the rest of my stuff DVR, receiver, DVD player is the same model for both rooms) You can get an older Harmony Universal model for alot cheaper than that I found these remotes were alot cheaper new online then in stores

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes.

I'm thinking about purchasing a new universal remote to control 4 (AVR, TV, DVD & Cable Box) devices. I don't see myself needing a remote with capability of controling up to 15 devices but I would like one that would handle up to 8. The key of course is to find a remote that will control the 4 devices I already have, they are as follows:

TV - Samsung (DLP)
AVR - Pioneer
DVD - JVC
Cable Box - Motorola

Is there a universal remote that will control the above manufactures products and still be reasonably priced?

Thanks for the help.

topspeed
08-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Check out this site (http://www.remotecentral.com/) for all you'll ever need to know about which universal remote is best for you. There are reviews and user forums where you can research any quirks a particular remote has. Popular choices are the Harmony, Pronto, and Sony.

Hope this helps.

MyThingIs23InchesFlacid!
08-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Harmony and Home Theater master are my recommendations. I have a Home Theater Master (Orion) MX-850 for my system. They make many, many remotes (10 or so) that are suited for every situation.

I mentiopn Harmony because it's rated very highly by Consumer Reports and is available at Best Buy. For only 4-6 components, you might get away with $100. Keep in mind possible expansion - more components that you may decide to add down the road.

EdwardGein
08-31-2005, 01:45 PM
One thing to remember about Harmony which I recommend & this is from the company itself when I asked them, if you want to use it for 2 different brands(I'm not sure about models) of something, like a TV from Mitsubishi & one from Sony, you need 2 Universals.

MyThingIs23InchesFlacid!
08-31-2005, 06:34 PM
True, but only if you want the pre names functions to be exactly as labeled. You can operate 2 tv, as long as one is mislabeled.

Check out RemoteCentral.com and you'll find just about everythjing you could [ossibley want in a remote.

HAVIC
09-01-2005, 10:50 AM
When I was looking for a universal remote I was looking at the Harmony 880 or 688 and the Home theater master 500 or 700. I ended up with the Harmony 880 for many reasons. Price being a major one. Also I felt easy of use for anyone else who wanted to use it was key. The harmony won hands down, because of the macros it automatically creates for you. The other great thing with Harmony is if you do not want to program it, all you have to do is call harmony, tell them your equipment and they program it for you, then you plug it into the computer and sync the remote and use it. Excellent customer service.

Also look around the web, you can get the Harmony 688 shipped to you for $105. I just picked one up for my parents. Not sure if I can mention other companies websites for purchasing equipment on this forum, but there are reputable online stores that will have it for that price or close to it.

zoomingm3
09-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the information.