Recent Rentals... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Rentals...

Worf101
08-30-2005, 06:37 AM
While the kid was whiling away his last weeks of freedom at summer camp the ole lady and me had a chance to do some viewing.

1. "Kung Fu Hustle" - A-Minus - What a friggin' hoot. For once I really agree with Roger Ebert when he said "imagine Buster Keaton meets Jackie Chan or Quentin Tarrantino meets Bugs Bunny". Bright, sly, funny, poignant and violent all at the same time. This film and "Shao Lin Soccer" would make a great double feature.

2. "Sin City" - A - Whoa what a film. For the first time in a long time I can truly say, "never seen anything quite like it. It got right everything Ang Lee got wrong with "The Hulk". Amazing film, a masterpiece of stylish violence. One I have to buy. Mickey Rourke, what a performance, his best since "Barfly".

3. "Downfall" - A - Hitler's last three days of life. Shown not as a slavering fiend or madman, but as a man, a twisted, sick and powerful man who knew exactly what he was doing to the bitter end. Bruno Ganz's performance is rivieting, simply riveting.

4. "Guess Who" - D - Could've been so great had they not played it so nice and safe. Kutscher is a friggin disaster, this guy f**kin' sucks. How he continues to draw breath let alone a paycheck is sad to me. Rent anything else instead.

Da Worfstrer

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-30-2005, 08:17 AM
While the kid was whiling away his last weeks of freedom at summer camp the ole lady and me had a chance to do some viewing.

1. "Kung Fu Hustle" - A-Minus - What a friggin' hoot. For once I really agree with Roger Ebert when he said "imagine Buster Keaton meets Jackie Chan or Quentin Tarrantino meets Bugs Bunny". Bright, sly, funny, poignant and violent all at the same time. This film and "Shao Lin Soccer" would make a great double feature.

2. "Sin City" - A - Whoa what a film. For the first time in a long time I can truly say, "never seen anything quite like it. It got right everything Ang Lee got wrong with "The Hulk". Amazing film, a masterpiece of stylish violence. One I have to buy. Mickey Rourke, what a performance, his best since "Barfly".

3. "Downfall" - A - Hitler's last three days of life. Shown not as a slavering fiend or madman, but as a man, a twisted, sick and powerful man who knew exactly what he was doing to the bitter end. Bruno Ganz's performance is rivieting, simply riveting.

4. "Guess Who" - D - Could've been so great had they not played it so nice and safe. Kutscher is a friggin disaster, this guy f**kin' sucks. How he continues to draw breath let alone a paycheck is sad to me. Rent anything else instead.

Da Worfstrer

Agree about Sin City. Much like Sky Captain, it has a very unique look. The use of black and white in contrast to the red of blood was very effective. Lots of shooting and killing, but I didn't get overwhelmed

Kung fu Hustle was so funny I had to watch it twice. At first I didn't know where in the hell this story line was going, or who was the focus of the storyline. But then it became pretty clear half way through the movie. The director use of CGI to enhance the comedy was genuis. I found the soundtrack to be a little heavy in the rears volume wise, with many instances of music playing very loudly in the surrounds often distracting what was happening up front.

YOu should check out Shaoulin Soccer. It is made by the same director, and equally as funny.

Kam
08-30-2005, 11:46 AM
kung fu hustle was just so much darn fun. was a blast and just so strangely quirky, from the opening axe-gang dance number during the credits you knew this wasnt a normal movie!

sin city agree with ya as well, robert rodriguez is like a once a generation type of guy. can't wait for part 2.

Will avoid Guess Who, thanks for the headsup and will look for Downfall, i hadnt even heard of that one!

peace
k2